Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

mrbluesky

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by mrbluesky »

As much as it pains me to say it, the likes of Bauer from Stoke are attainable for us and certainly a better long term prospect than Zabaletta. With him only arriving in January, in an already failing team, his price tag shouldn’t be too bad.

Two names I haven’t seen mentioned which I also think are achievable targets are Steve Mounie at Huddersfield, only 23, had a cracking start to the season, big goal drought in the middle but to be fair the wheels had fallen off the whole team during that period, I think he’d be a good shout for us.

Pascal Gross, signed for 3m two years ago, had solid seasons for Brighton, creative and certainly proved he can cut it in the prem. To be fair probably one of Brighton’s more important players but don’t ask don’t get right?
Patito

Post by Patito »

mrbluesky wrote: Two names I haven’t seen mentioned which I also think are achievable targets are Steve Mounie at Huddersfield, only 23, had a cracking start to the season, big goal drought in the middle but to be fair the wheels had fallen off the whole team during that period, I think he’d be a good shout for us.

All decent enough shouts.

We were linked with Mounie in the summer. Seemed to be the sort of all-round striker we needed, ie. someone who works hard, holds up ball, has a bit of pace but also chips in with a few goals (Diafra Sakho before he went off the rails). Would definitely consider him but I think Huddersfield paid about 10 million for him in the summer, think they'd demand 2 or 3 times that now.

Gross looks like a cracking player, he'd be mad to leave Brighton for us though at the minute!

Would take Bauer as well, pacey alternative to Zabaleta. I thought we had a deal in place for that Fredericks from Fulham too? Might hinge on whether they go up or not of course.

Alessane Plea from Nice is the one we've been linked with that we should go all out for IMO (as well as a decent holding midfielder once and for all).
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Yes let's raid Stoke and West Brom. Plenty of gems at those clubs who will want to jump ship. Pardon, haven't exactly shone this season though but you never know. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Yes, let's never buy a player from any relegated club ever because they must all be ****. Pardon? :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Patito wrote:Yes, let's never buy a player from any relegated club ever because they must all be ****. Pardon? :thup:
I must admit I don't know why people are having orgasms over this Bauer geezer either
Patito

Post by Patito »

Puff Daddy wrote: I must admit I don't know why people are having orgasms over this Bauer geezer either

I can't speak for anyone else, I haven't had an orgasm over him but I think he played well against us and is very quick. IMO he'd do a job for us at right wing back instead of Zabaleta.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Patito wrote: I can't speak for anyone else, I haven't had an orgasm over him but I think he played well against us and is very quick. IMO he'd do a job for us at right wing back instead of Zabaleta.
Agreed, it’s not that I think he’s the best right back ever, but he’s seems to be pretty good and, importantly, genuinely attainable.

Clyne might be better but will cost a heap more (we wouldn’t pay it), I like Soares at Southampton but this seasons shocking team performance makes me nervous.

Dawson has played well at West Brom and is be happy to have him but may have an English premium slapped on him by a cash strapped Baggies board.

My knowledge of the continent isn’t good enough for me to take a punt, and I think we’d all like to see a known quantity at right back for a change, who has some years left in him to bed down and give us that confidence on the right that Masuaku and Cresswell (to a degree) have given us on the left.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

'Fellaini, 30, is approaching the last two months of his United contract and is expected to leave on a free transfer in the summer'

theres our marquee signing, and hes free as well
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I see young Fredricks has been named in the Championship PFA team of the season.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'd not be averse to Fellani. Mind you get him and dawson we'd have the nigliest team in the league
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Het-Field wrote:I see young Fredricks has been named in the Championship PFA team of the season.
‘West Ham withdraw from race to sign’
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

I remember when a load on here were saying no to Robertson when he was at Hull and heading to the championship
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Ozza wrote:I remember when a load on here were saying no to Robertson when he was at Hull and heading to the championship
Didn't we baulk at the asking price?
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

hammerleroy wrote:Yes let's raid Stoke and West Brom. Plenty of gems at those clubs who will want to jump ship. Pardon, haven't exactly shone this season though but you never know. :thup:
agreed. most of them won't improve our team in comparison to what they would cost. maybe butland for the right price, but i would be concerned about his injury record to pay all that much.

and romeu. if we get anyone from the bottom teams, he should be top of the list. anywhere under 25-30m would be a steal.
Hamburger
Has liked: 861 likes
Total likes: 444 likes

Post by Hamburger »

My friend is a ST holder at Fulham and well connected there. He says Arsenal have made inquires for Fredericks and also that Cairney has got a glass knee (so he's cert for us then).

Our problem is not identifying players to sign but getting them here. We are a club in turmoil with clowns running it that talk like the Krays but act like Arthur Daly. They are just a joke. I would not be surprised if clubs/agents look everywhere before having to sell to us and then only at top dollar wages. They are not exactly banging our door down to get involved in our mess.

A decent DOF would have half a chance of dragging something useful in but even then Sully will still be trying to ruin it with his barrow boy bargaining. We get kicked in the bllx every transfer window, why do people on here get excited about available players that we have absolutely no chance of getting with the current set up (as historically proven)? Taking a championship punt and stealing from relegated sides are probably our best options.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Hamburger wrote:.
My friend is a ST holder at Fulham and well connected there. He says Arsenal have made inquires for Fredericks and also that Cairney has got a glass knee (so he's cert for us then).

Our problem is not identifying players to sign but getting them here. We are a club in turmoil with clowns running it that talk like the Krays but act like Arthur Daly. They are just a joke. I would not be surprised if clubs/agents look everywhere before having to sell to us and then only at top dollar wages. They are not exactly banging our door down to get involved in our mess.

A decent DOF would have half a chance of dragging something useful in but even then Sully will still be trying to ruin it with his barrow boy bargaining. We get kicked in the bllx every transfer window, why do people on here get excited about available players that we have absolutely no chance of getting with the current set up (as historically proven)? Taking a championship punt and stealing from relegated sides are probably our best options.

Great post and every word true.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I've been reading that Swansea have been making enquiries about FC Krasnodar's Viktor Claesson , Swedish International midfielder/winger and Fyodor Smolov team mate - I'd expect us to be interested too .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ozza wrote:I remember when a load on here were saying no to Robertson when he was at Hull and heading to the championship
Robertson doesn't have to do much defending at Liverpool.

If he played for us, he would.

All transfer considerations should take into account the way we play and the job the player is likely to have to do playing for us. If we don't do that we end up with Hernandez playing as a lone striker and target man.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1965 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

That would have us trying to sign 6 defenders, 3 defensive midfield players and a couple of CM's and no forwards bubbs

. :lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »