Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018

Post by Diogenes »

Firstly, we are not going to attract top class players who may be if intetest to Champions League contenders. So lets rule all those out. We also have to be aware of our position i.e. 2018 relegation contenders (and survivors hopefully). That rules out pretty much another lot who will find others more attractive. Add in this new DoF, whoever this may be, who hopefully will have contacts etc. Therefore we need to carefully manage our expectations.
GingerJohn

Post by GingerJohn »

So basically we should be targeting players the likes of whom probably would have joined us had we still been at the boleyn. Well worth the move then :thup:
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I've been reading that Swansea have been making enquiries about FC Krasnodar's Viktor Claesson , Swedish International midfielder/winger and Fyodor Smolov team mate - I'd expect us to be interested too .
Think I read that we’d scouted him recently TOMOS so you may be right
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Nick Sneddon wrote:'Fellaini, 30, is approaching the last two months of his United contract and is expected to leave on a free transfer in the summer'

theres our marquee signing, and hes free as well
Fellini has said he will not stay in PL next season.

Arsenal talking to Fredericks (tough choice for him :lol: )

Inter have first option on Dendoncker

Galatasaray negotiating heavily for Kagawa

Brighton have a fabulous set up and great owners, why would any of their players want to join our mess?

Same goes for Bournemouth & Burnley.

Borussia, Newcastle and Burnley also after Plea, Nice want €25. We’ll offer half that over 4 years. No chance.

Looking good isn’t it?
Last edited by Hamburger on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hamburger wrote: Newcastle and Burnley also after Plea, Nice want €25. We’ll offer half that over 4 years. No chance.
Surely we can afford €25? Things aren't that bad are they?
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

Lewis Cook of Bournmouth is apparently a transfer target.
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

Usual dross and one or two great signings (scattergun approach).
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Tackler wrote:Lewis Cook of Bournmouth is apparently a transfer target.
Then watch us sign Harry Arter.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Patito wrote:Yes, let's never buy a player from any relegated club ever because they must all be ****. Pardon? :thup:
Joe Cole, Jermain Defoe, Freddie Kanoute, Paolo DiCanio, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson and Trevor Sinclair were on the 2002-2003 West Ham team that was relegated. The 5 English players combined for a couple of hundred England caps after being relegated with us, and most non Champions league teams would welcome players of DiCanio and Kanoute’s caliber. Before that we were relegated with Sir Trev, Billy Bonds, Ludo, Phil Parkes, and Julian Dicks, just to name a few who we would beg to see again,
Harry Maguire was relegated last year and is now being linked with a 50m pound move, Pickford was relegated last year and will probably be England’s number one at the World Cup. Wijnaldum was relegated with Newcastle and then went to Liverpool.
Just because a team was relegated doesn’t mean they don’t have any good players.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Peaches wrote: Joe Cole, Jermain Defoe, Freddie Kanoute, Paolo DiCanio, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson and Trevor Sinclair were on the 2002-2003 West Ham team that was relegated. The 5 English players combined for a couple of hundred England caps after being relegated with us, and most non Champions league teams would welcome players of DiCanio and Kanoute’s caliber. Before that we were relegated with Sir Trev, Billy Bonds, Ludo, Phil Parkes, and Julian Dicks, just to name a few who we would beg to see again,
Harry Maguire was relegated last year and is now being linked with a 50m pound move, Pickford was relegated last year and will probably be England’s number one at the World Cup. Wijnaldum was relegated with Newcastle and then went to Liverpool.
Just because a team was relegated doesn’t mean they don’t have any good players.
100%

What I would say though, is for Christ sake make sure they are of genuine quality and more like a Shaqiri rather than a Relegation Roger. There are always some real bargain and/or decent quality players to be had.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

I'd be very, very surprised if we spend £30m this window.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This will be more a case of who we miss out on through the usual insulting bids rather who we sign won't it ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hamburger wrote:
Fellini has said he will not stay in PL next season.

Arsenal talking to Fredericks (tough choice for him :lol: )

Inter have first option on Dendoncker

Galatasaray negotiating heavily for Kagawa

Brighton have a fabulous set up and great owners, why would any of their players want to join our mess?

Same goes for Bournemouth & Burnley.

Borussia, Newcastle and Burnley also after Plea, Nice want €25. We’ll offer half that over 4 years. No chance.

Looking good isn’t it?
You're moaning but you've coated half of those players off in this thread already, make your mind up.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Peaches wrote: Just because a team was relegated doesn’t mean they don’t have any good players.

Yeah that's what I was getting at :)
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The ones that will annoy me are the likes of Muriel, Ben Yedder, Muriel and so forth, who at one point before they made a big move we probably could've of got if we went all out.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Agree with all these comments re relegated players. Looking at the West Brom lineup I am amazed that a team with all those decent players can be bottom of the league, Gibbs, Dawson, Evans, Brunt, Livermore, Rodriguez, Rondon even that horrible s**t McLean. Clearly something else is at the root of their problems and not just chocolate either. No doubt they said it about us when we went down with 42 points with Joey, Di Canio and the rest. Good players at Stoke too and of course Saints are down there after selling five or six of their best players. So let's get to safety first and the go raiding. 1978 long gone when all our players stayed on instead of jumping ship! And it still took three years to get back remember. :crest:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

fmgod wrote:The ones that will annoy me are the likes of Muriel, Ben Yedder, Muriel and so forth, who at one point before they made a big move we probably could've of got if we went all out.
If they didn’t flop when we signed them. Difficult to point to players who have made it in other leagues and say “we should have been all over that”.

It is the Tom Daleys... sorry Dele Allis and Vardys of the world we should look at and say why didn’t we sign someone like that?
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

One upside to this summer's transfer window is FINALLY they have decided to close it before the season has started. Albeit just days before it starts. I personally would've like it closed a week before the season started. That means clubs like ourselves have to actually be organised and get all their signings done in time. Not leave it until the last minute. That's if Sully can manage this for a change......

Now they just need to scrap the January transfer window. Any club that leaves signings up until the last minute, or use the January Transfer Window are disorganised IMO. And if we make a lot of signings this summer and changes to the squad then they need plenty of time in Pre-season to get to know each other and settle in to new surroundings.

Shame they are not discussing getting rid of Loan signings until around October time as that is another rule I really want to see brought in. It means tight owners like our own will actually have to commit and spend money if they want some new players. Especially with this huge new TV deal, I think it is inexcusable quite frankly clubs are still making loan signings.

I do expect this transfer window in general to be a slow burner for all clubs at the beginning with the World Cup being on. Players will still be away and a lot of Managers will probably be there scouting potential targets. Knowing how Moyes operates I wouldn't be surprised if he and a few of our coaches go to watch some of the games.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Balotelli & Arnautovic? Could be feisty!

I agree with CNR, we need to start building a team. We should be looking at how to integrate some of our long term potential into the side rather than buy some makeweights and use some U23s if we get injuries. Cullen (22), Holland (20), Brown (20), Quina (19), these could all make the squad and will be a year older next season. As we are having almost a complete clear out, we have an opportunity to build as opposed to plugging gaps with average loans and has beens. Problem is our board don’t have the balls or brains, their statement from 2 seasons ago still haunts me ‘The kids have no chance of getting in when we have seasoned internationals in the squad’. They were - Speigel, O’Brien, Henry, Emineke, Zarate, Jelavic, Jenkinson (won’t mention Zaza), where did they get us? Can’t tell me a couple of our U23s couldn’t have done better? Oxford never got a chance and now doesn’t want to play for us. Regardless if he’s any good or not, it’s not the way to groom players and garner the confidence to play at top level. New signings get 10 games to ‘settle in’, the kids get the odd 10 minutes and if they don’t score a hat trick they’re out.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I think people are too quick to rate these kids. We have a history of producing fine players, but they don't appear to be making the progress necessary to break into the team. Oxford is a prime example, as in spite of all the talk, he has had two loan spells away from the Club where he has struggled. Burke and Cullen excelled with Bradford, but were not always mainstays on the Bolton team sheet. Martinez has been a fine striker at development level, but has not sufficiently impressed Bilic or Moyes to start him.

The quick development and utilisation of Declan Rice would suggest to me that we don't have any aversion to youth, and that if players are up to the challenge, they will be involved. Cullen is also now a regular on the bench which would suggest his time is coming too. This means that if youth is showing, it will be tapped into. But I don't believe we are leaving some golden generation behind by not fast tracking them into the team.