Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

LeonRivers
Has liked: 1034 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by LeonRivers »

HoustonHammer24 wrote:Regarding the alleged 20% sell-on clause, does this only include transfer fee or overall value of the deal? I ask because if we were to do a player+cash deal, would the 20% fee come from only the cash aspect of the deal, or would it come from the cash + transfer market value of the player involved. If only cash, it could be a clever way to reduce the amount paid to Stoke.
As I understand it, these clauses are based on the profit on the deal. Stoke would be due 20% of any profit.
With regards a player-plus-cash transfer, both clubs are required to declare a value on the player that is part-exchanged for accounting purposes. For example; if Chelsea sign him for £15m plus Batshuayi we would declare that Batshuayi was valued as £30m in the deal.
The overall value of the sale is therefore £45m and Stoke get their slice of c.25m.

I assume there are anti-fraud regulations preventing us from agreeing on a £500k valuation of Michy.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1966 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ozza

I don't think we are all for binning Antonio.

merely that right now he seems to be the only salable asset that we might have.

Perez ? unlikely, a loan more probable
Carroll ? a non starter, more likely to be condemned to the knacker's yard
Hernandez ? still not fit and we would have to subsidize his wages on a loan
Arnie ? well he might or might not be out of the door

and * & * keep telling us we ain't got the proverbial pot to pee in and oh by the way we're maxed out with FFP

so reading between the lines, we have to flog someone who could command a decent bit of wedge to bring in a DM and/or CB loan

that's my reading of the situation any road.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

We have not sold a player for a decent sum save for Payet agreed but equally if the internet is to be believed over recent years we have had decent offers for the likes of Cresswell, Reid and Kouyate for example and the general reaction on here has been “you do not sell your best players”, players who most subsequently, for various reasons, would happily bin. The ongoing questioning of selling Tomkins is another example.

For me the root cause is a total lack of faith in the board/management to get in decent replacements with any money made.

With the exception of Rice and Diop (both of whom, whilst not the finished article, have amazing potential) none of our players are really the very top draw. Anderson and Arnie are close accepted.

We should not be scared of trading first teamers at the right price/time if the correct infrastructure is in place to develop the team as it happens. We should not look to be a Southampton, who seem to be in business to develop then sell players, which is the other extreme, but develop an approach more akin to the likes of Spurs where selling good players (possibly some of their best at the time with Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale even Walker all being examples) was the basis for proper reinvestment creating a strong team for the future not just further players to be sold.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Gsbgsb wrote:We have not sold a player for a decent sum save for Payet agreed but equally if the internet is to be believed over recent years we have had decent offers for the likes of Cresswell, Reid and Kouyate for example and the general reaction on here has been “you do not sell your best players”, players who most subsequently, for various reasons, would happily bin.
Sorry to pull out a small part of your post and not the main point, but while I don't recall to much about Kouyate's time at West Ham, didn't he go on to be the leading scorer in La Liga (for one season) after he left us? Just can't (shootee!) remember the circumstances of his sale.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Kanoute, yes, with Seville.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Rumour on the internet was that we received a fairly significant bid for Kouyate after his first season, I think from Spurs, that we rejected. Of course usual caveat that not everything on the internet is true.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1966 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gsbgsb wrote:We have not sold a player for a decent sum save for Payet agreed but equally if the internet is to be believed over recent years we have had decent offers for the likes of Cresswell, Reid and Kouyate for example and the general reaction on here has been “you do not sell your best players”, players who most subsequently, for various reasons, would happily bin.
vietnammer wrote:
Sorry to pull out a small part of your post and not the main point, but while I don't recall to much about Kouyate's time at West Ham, didn't he go on to be the leading scorer in La Liga (for one season) after he left us? Just can't (shootee!) remember the circumstances of his sale.
Kanoute, Kouyate....

you're like Napolean - you don't know Madras from your Elba

:D :D
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ozza wrote:**** me what are we like on here, we spend numerous seasons with **** all up front, now have 4 proper strikers, so have decent back up, and you lot want to flog them all?

Madness!

Also some of you seem to forget how difficult it is to

A - find and afford goalscorers

B - Get forwards with no Premier experience up to speed....

I'd say a max of one out over the window is the right option.... get to the summer and review
Bang on the money. We've never had it so good up front, I'd hate for us to willingly asset strip ourselves unecessarily. If we must lose 1, ideally we get another one in or at the very worst only lose 1 if the manager thinks we are top heavy anyway. In this League it's imperative a Club has a squad full of Strikers during the season and we are currently in a very healthy position on that front with the kinda headaches a manager actually likes having.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

MORE, we always need more!

:)
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

But have we really never had it so good up front? Perez a waste of space, Arnie on the way out, Hernandez disappearing again and Carroll one tackle or landing badly from being absent for another few months. Still pretty brittle imho.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Today's 'Mail' reports Pellers is an admirer of Jonjo Shelvey and would like him at the club, but the report rolls out that tired old one liner, ' We have to sell before we can buy' and Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez doesn't want to sell him, so read from that what you will, but my take on it is. I don't think any deal for him is gonna happen anytime soon
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Currently? No doubt about it. You can chuck in Antonio too and I hadn't mentioned other Forwards like Anderson, Yarmolenko either.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Kanoute, Kouyate....

you're like Napolean - you don't know Madras from your Elba
:oops:

Oh **** doughnut of the century. Wondered what was happening when someone mentioned an offer from Spurs.
Patito

Post by Patito »

johnnyb wrote:But have we really never had it so good up front? Perez a waste of space, Arnie on the way out, Hernandez disappearing again and Carroll one tackle or landing badly from being absent for another few months. Still pretty brittle imho.

And yet, despite being so **** apparently, they’ve all scored.
djoe

Post by djoe »

can someone make a little movie with some nice moves off Masuaku and send it to that Chinese club ? 25 Million and they can have him. So we can sign a real left back
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

johnnyb wrote:But have we really never had it so good up front? Perez a waste of space, Arnie on the way out, Hernandez disappearing again and Carroll one tackle or landing badly from being absent for another few months. Still pretty brittle imho.
I suppose the question really should be to you, tell us when we've had such a good forward line with depth?

Off the top of my head, Di C, Defoe and Kanoute? When we had Bellers and Ashton, I'm not sure they played that much together due to injuries.

I'd say this is the best group of forwards we've possibly ever had, Perez is no mug despite what people think on here.

Makes me sigh, seeing people wanting to get rid of our forwards, especially after season after season we've had of Carroll and sulky Sakho being injured and then whoever we can cobble up front.

Crackers (imho)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

djoe wrote:can someone make a little movie with some nice moves off Masuaku and send it to that Chinese club ? 25 Million and they can have him. So we can sign a real left back
:lol:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we are not well off up front.

perez, carroll would not feature in another premier team`s first team. one is useless the other always injured(due soon)

that leaves Hernandez who is also rarely available. he is 30 on mega wages

that leaves us Arnie who is great but we need another decent striker. I would happily get rid of the first three and bring in batshuayi.

arnie bats and silva would be far better that what we have.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I fail to see why you think a Chelsea misfit will suddenly turn in some consistent form, if we obtained his services.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 434 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

hammerman11 wrote:we are not well off up front.

perez, carroll would not feature in another premier team`s first team. one is useless the other always injured(due soon)

that leaves Hernandez who is also rarely available. he is 30 on mega wages

that leaves us Arnie who is great but we need another decent striker. I would happily get rid of the first three and bring in batshuayi.

arnie bats and silva would be far better that what we have.
Why would Batshauyi come to us to be a reserve? He keeps going out on loan to get first team football.