Long live Pottsy

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 766 likes
Total likes: 3503 likes

Long live Pottsy

Post by Up the Junction »

Poster: Rio B
Posted: 26 Apr 2002

Those of you who post here regularly know that Pottsy is my favourite player. Yeah I loved Dicksy for his abilty & aggression, Di Canio for his entertainment & skill, Brooking for his sheer class but Pottsy remains my favourite Hammer.

When he started off in the side he looked a decent squad player. Nothing out of the ordinary but a competent deputy right back. When he was first given a run in the first team he looked ok , nothing more. Then after we were relagted to the old second division he had a bit of a shocker. Confidence dropped & despite his one & only goal he looked well out of sorts. When Tim Breacker arrived the writing looked to be on the wall.

Then as injuries mounted he came back from the cold. First a couple of spirited midfield displays, then as centre half after centr half became unfit, 5'8 giant Steve Potts was called into action.

And what a revelation.

Postionally superb, decent pace, clean tackling & simple & competent distribution. He displayed qualities we never knew he had. Alongside bigger partners like Foster he'd drop off when the ball was in the air to cover any loose balls or errors. When he was forced to head he did so well.

Stepping up into the top flight he didn't look out of place. If Ian Wright calls you one of the players you hate to play against then that surely is a compliment.

His height proved eventually to be his downfall. Harry is his wisdom eventually decided that he'd rather play with 3 big centre halves. So Pottsy was forced to take a back seat. When called back into action in a varity of positions he never let us down.

I think its a mark of the man that when your asked what your favourite Pottsy moment is many won't know. He did his job calmly, coolly & efficiently. No fuss, no frills, just solid defending.

Lets hope Glenn gives him the run out he deserves or better still a new contract. When I've seen him in the reserves this season, he's been simply fantastic. A real role model for the younger players.

Long Live Pottsy.
lynothehammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by lynothehammer »

Just a shame we don't have him for this season really isn't it ? I think Pottsy is a legend, just one of those players who does a solid job and goes un-noticed, always the sign of a good player.

Anyoe know where hes playing now ? Dagenham let him go didn't they ?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

lynothehammer wrote:Just a shame we don't have him for this season really isn't it ? I think Pottsy is a legend, just one of those players who does a solid job and goes un-noticed, always the sign of a good player.

Anyoe know where hes playing now ? Dagenham let him go didn't they ?
Retired, concentrating on his business interests, so I'm told
Red Squirrel

Long live Pottsy

Post by Red Squirrel »

I see him now and then in Esporta Romford. Shall I ask himto sign up for a return?

I also see Alvin martin in there too by the way....?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

And Jeff Pike too? (being an ex-member of the anti - "Anti Jeff Pike Brigade" ,North Bank Mid 80's)
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Re: Long live Pottsy

Post by Rio »

Red Squirrel wrote:I see him now and then in Esporta Romford. Shall I ask himto sign up for a return?

I also see Alvin martin in there too by the way....?
Mate when you see Pottsy ask him if I can do an interview.

We the fans demand it
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Pottsy, what a player....loyal to the end....
hammer0123

Post by hammer0123 »

Pottsy, top fella.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

used to stick some money on him to score first goal when I went to UP (as his odds were always 66/1 - I still havent learnt my lesson with the bookies)

Anyway I remember us playing a game against Liverpool when Collymore was playing for them and I remember pottsy slapping it from what seemed like the half way line, it went like a rocket and had DJ all over the place, how excited as I thought the bstrd bookies out of a wedge, then watched in horror as it hit the bar - GUTTED

Pottsy a player of tiny size but with massive stature