Turning Negatives into Positives

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Turning Negatives into Positives

Post by Up the Junction »

Poster: Romulus DiMcAtffio
Posted: 17 Jul 2002

I am unrelentingley positive. Throughout the miasma of last season I sugested we were a top ten side and should aim for 7th.

I have now earmarked us for 6th and Europe. When you recall the points gap to 6th and the dire performances of Villa and Spurs - that is very positive.

Going on about believeing we can win the league next year would not be being positive. It would be being irelevent, and hence negative.

I have often exclaimed how West Ham fans are overly suportive of the board/manager/players and confuse loyalty to passing ships as loyalty to the team and institution that is West Ham. Anfield and Highbury are soon to be demolished, Wimbeldon the club will remain in London even if a facsimile plays in Milton Keynes.........Julian Dicks retired, one day Terry Brown will die, Glenn Roeder will not manange us forever, and Ian Dowie now manages some team somwhere. The institution, the team, the club: WEST HAM is embodied in a collective not in a player a building a manager or a marketing director. I am a fraction of West Ham as are you. I am positive and loyall to the cause of West Ham as are you. I despair when other fractions of West Ham the idea, the living organism - put the likes of Terry Brown, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Roeder, Christian Dailly, Ian Dowie, Lee Chapman, Gary Charles and even sainted Julian Dicks ahead of West Ham because they (passing ships) apear to be more crucial or representative of West Ham than us - the mob.

Caeser paid respect to the mob, Rome he knew was the mob. The problem at West Ham is a lot of the mob believe Caeser is Rome.

I have previously posted that for example at the first home game last season (James injured, Hutch and Repka yet to sign, Redknapp sacked, Rio deal still fresh, FFLJ sold, a rookie put in charge, rumours of Paolo to Man U) we all got behind the lads and thge manager and the board. Terry had used and abused us and he got clean away. Hence 12 months later he doesnt even feel the need to put money in the kitty.

NO - it didnt all turn out for the best - we spent the next 6 months faltering, and it was only when we the mob started to turn that Dailly (my player of the season) and others (Lomas sadly) turned us around. Oh and Spurs and Villa colapsed.

I accept booing West Ham ad nauseum week in week out every match we are not top of the league is wrong.

But I remeber the Bond Scheme - and know that booing then was right. I also know chasing lee Chapman out was right. I also think that never booing Stuart Slater might have sent him into a psychiological mess.

Im not saying we should boo regularly - but that to show our displeasure sometimes is positive (maybe not for TB but for WEST HAM the eternal entity). If our players play a negative game (Billy Bonds- Lou Macari) we need to tell them NO Thats not for thej good of WEST HAM.

Unrelengting positivism, subjigation, acceptance, and meeknes - is pathetic and negative.

I will continue to be 100% positive both in and out of UP, and when I see players, managers or directors who are having a negative effect, I will let them know for I believ in being positive.

Paolo that great Roman is often very latin and agresive about falling standards or bad performances - I'll never forget that league cup game v (Er forgoten) when the mob and ceaser got agresssive together and turned a negative into a positive.