PL Trial Verdict: £5.5m fine, no pts deducted, Tevez safe

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Hammer1972 wrote:Club Statement - 7.53

Following discussions with the FA Premier League, West Ham United can confirm that Carlos Tevez is available for selection for the rest of the season, including tomorrow's game against Wigan Athletic.

The actual registration of Carlos Tevez has not been called into question and he remains a West Ham United player approved by the Premier League.

happy days, thanks for that
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Following discussions with the FA Premier League, West Ham United can confirm that Carlos Tevez is available for selection for the rest of the season, including tomorrow's game against Wigan Athletic.

The actual registration of Carlos Tevez has not been called into question and he remains a West Ham United player approved by the Premier League.
excellent :)
oldnwrinkley
It's a cracker
Location: appearing in a working mans club near you soon .....

Post by oldnwrinkley »

dmyeo66 wrote:Tis a mess a mess I say.

Let the hunt for Aldridge and Brown commence.
you can find them in a caravan on the essex coast....

i claim my £5 finders fee... sorry £5.5million fee.. :lol:
crosser

Post by crosser »

amen to that :raver: :raver: :raver: :raver: :raver: :raver: :raver: :raver:
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

neilbob wrote: excellent :)
great now what else is the premier league cooking up to try and spoil our party at wigan

plus can i say a big hats off to trap who said on here earlier that tevez would be available
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

neilbob wrote: excellent :)
By chance I happen to be swigging champagne, and I dont happen to earn 60K , I am an utter plastic. :pissed:
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

AJ wrote: plus can i say a big hats off to trap who said on here earlier that tevez would be available
Good point. Good call Trap :niceone:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Coley wrote: Good point. Good call Trap :niceone:
As an observer of a few years I would say that I always prick my ears up when trap posts, it is clear to serious posters that he knows someone on the inside track or in the press. (or he is the cleaner at upton park)
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

cockney farmer wrote: By chance I happen to be swigging champagne, and I dont happen to earn 60K , I am an utter plastic. :pissed:

bloody hell, whats happening to this club, next we'll be eating canopies and sitting down at games
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Traps the best ITK in my opinion.

Most of his info is true and is sometimes the same as what i occasionally hear. Especially the takeover information.

:doff:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Ozza wrote:
bloody hell, whats happening to this club, next we'll be eating canopies and sitting down at games
Lads 21st he and 20 of his mates have hit the town leaving us wrinklies with the left overs.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

cockney farmer wrote: Lads 21st he and 20 of his mates have hit the town leaving us wrinklies with the left overs.

ahhhh good old fashioned mine sweeping, thats more in keeping, have a good one

BTW the fizzy stuff is awesome
westhammart

Post by westhammart »

having read the judgment i would say Mr duxburys conduct was not that befitting an officer of the supreme court (solicitor)
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

cockney farmer wrote: Lads 21st he and 20 of his mates have hit the town leaving us wrinklies with the left overs.

ahhhh good old fashioned mine sweeping, thats more in keeping, have a good one

BTW the fizzy stuff is awesome
Home Counties East

Post by Home Counties East »

Aldridge was right up Brown's arse from day one, and owed his whole gravy train existence at Upton Park to Brown. Duxbury was subordinate to Aldridge. This is very predominantly a Brown thing. At that time, if Joorabchian had told him to ski down Mount Everest with a daffodil stuck up his arse then he would have done it. The pupils of Brown's eyes had turned to £ signs and were spinning round like the reels on a one-armed bandit. He would have interpreted any rules to suit in order to secure what he thought would be the maximum ackers for his shares.

That is all Brown ever did at West Ham -- take all and give nothing, bringing the club to its knees in the process. Yes the club is culpable, and lucky to get off without points docking. But in terms of allaying blame don't look at the people who are there now. Instead look no further than Terence Brown -- the worst thing that ever happened to West Ham United.
DundeeUnitedFan

Post by DundeeUnitedFan »

Ozza wrote:bloody hell, whats happening to this club, next we'll be eating canopies and sitting down at games
Surely canapes would be tastier Ozza? :wink:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Tevez left in limbo
By MATT LAWTON and SIMON CASS - More by this author » Last updated at 22:09pm on 27th April 2007

West Ham will launch legal action against their former chairman and chief executive after being fined a record £5.5million for a serious breach of Premier League regulations when fielding Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano this season.

The Hammers, who were also ordered to cancel and re-structure Tevez’s contract, were last night struggling to do so in time for him to play in this afternoon’s crucial relegation match at Wigan.

An independent Premier League commission accused Terry Brown, Paul Aldridge and West Ham’s surviving deputy chief executive Scott Duxbury of acting with ‘dishonesty and deceit’ in a 26-page report on the case.

It did not persuade them to punish relegationthreatened West Ham, now under new ownership, with a points deduction but they have received a huge fine and Sportsmail understands chairman Eggert Magnusson and his colleagues will pursue Brown and Aldridge through the courts.

In a statement issued yesterday, West Ham hinted strongly that they would take such action.

"The club will reflect on the financial penalty that has been imposed and will take advice before commenting on the possibility of an appeal or any further steps that might be taken."

Brown, who remains an honorary vice-president after stepping down as chairman, received more than £33m when Magnusson and his Icelandic consortium took charge.

Presumably, he will be asked to hand a sizeable chunk back. West Ham officials pleaded guilty to signing players owned by a third party. The Argentina internationals were part-owned by Media Sports Investment and the former West Ham hierarchy kept those details from the Premier League.

Mascherano has since moved to Liverpool.

West Ham were guilty of misleading Premier League officials, chief executive Richard Scudamore among them, and deliberately failing to provide documents that would have exposed a breach of the rules.

It was revealed that Duxbury, whose position is said not to be under threat, ‘misled’ Premiership company secretary Jane Purdon, while Aldridge ‘misled Mr Scudamore’.

In their report, the independent commission added that West Ham’s then ‘chief executive officer told Mr Scudamore a direct lie, namely there was no documentation whatever in respect of these players which the FAPL had not seen’.

The report concluded: "We are of the view that these are exceedingly serious allegations because they amount to not only an obvious and deliberate breach of the Rules, but a grave breach of trust as to the FAPL and its constituent members, because in our finding the club has been responsible for dishonesty and deceit.

"What we believe to have occurred here is that Messrs Brown, Aldridge and Duxbury were anxious to complete the registration of these players by the August 31 deadline. They knew that the only means by which they could acquire them would be by entering into the third party contracts."

And yet, to West Ham’s relief, the their dishonesty, West Ham have been hit with a fine they can probably get their predecessors to pay.

In justifying the West Ham ruling, however, the commission revealed two key factors were taken into consideration: "One, the club’s pleas of guilty. Two, the fact that the club is under new ownership and management.

"True, Mr Duxbury remains, but we are impressed by Mr Sturman’s (Jim Sturman QC) point that Mr Magnusson could have cynically commission stopped short of docking points and instead issued a fine that will be paid into a Premier League charity account.

Earlier this season AFC Wimbledon were deducted 18 points and expelled from the FA Trophy after selecting a player who did not have international clearance although that penalty was eventually reduced to a three-point deduction.

And Bury were thrown out of the FA Cup last December after fielding an ineligible player. But, for dispensed with his services to reflect more favourably upon the club."

There were other reasons, including the delay in dealing with the situation — the commission did not consider it fair to dock points at such a late and critical stage of the season — and the ‘position of the players and the fans who are in no way to blame for this situation’.

And by pleading guilty and cooperating so openly with the Premier League, the new West Ham hierarchy saved themselves £2.5m — the commission revealing they could have set the fine at £8m.

Chairman Magnusson said last night: "I am delighted that our desptiny will be decided on the football pitch."

The club expressed their relief earlier in a statement and conceded: "West Ham United received a fair hearing."

But the Hammers won no friends for failing to acknowledge an admission of guilt and dismissing the threat of a points deduction by adding: "The club has not been found guilty of fielding an unregistered player and speculation about a likely points deduction has proved to be unfounded."

Last night one Premier League insider dismissed that as ‘stupid’.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

THE GIBBINS wrote:Traps the best ITK in my opinion.

Most of his info is true and is sometimes the same as what i occasionally hear. Especially the takeover information.

:doff:
All very true, However it should be remembered that Trap also was pushing for and defending Joorachbian and MSI when the sensible people on here were doubting theirs and Brown/Aldridge's intentions.
Clearly we have been shafted thanks to these dubious characters, TB and PA included, when it seemed obvious to me that it would all end in tears.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Corney Beal wrote: All very true, However it should be remembered that Trap also was pushing for and defending Joorachbian and MSI when the sensible people on here were doubting theirs and Brown/Aldridge's intentions.
Clearly we have been shafted thanks to these dubious characters, TB and PA included, when it seemed obvious to me that it would all end in tears.
To be honest we dont know what could have been with kia, we can all say he was bad for the club but we dont have proof of that. We might not have had this £5.5million fine as he may well have cleared out their contracts as he has something to do with the ownership . I also felt at the time kia would be bad for the club but i guess trap based his opinions on what he heard from his sources and felt he was best for the club.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

Joorabchian hasn't done a lot wrong imo. My own personal thoughts are that he never submitted the bid because he saw the undercurrent that was flowing through the club. I also believe that Aldridge is guilty of assuming the takeover was done and dusted rather than anything more serious (there is a connection).

I will try and expand on this later this weekend but ultimately this is a f*** up that was meant to be a clever bit of business that went horribly wrong. People need to look at the conduct of the previous Chairman's running of the football club between July and November to see how the Joorabchian deal collapsed and why we are 5.5 million pounds light.

Eggy has been an excellent Chairman imo but those who compare him vs Joorabchian should note that Joorabchian is actually a little more switched on then people gave him credit for.