Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Roaring Repka wrote: Hey! I know yesterday you demanded his instant resignation but today you said you thought everyone should stand by the man in charge :p
Yes i did, based on the outcome of a Meeting that confirms that he is going to be our Manager next year which you fail to mention !!!!!

What's so ****ing wrong with that ???

If i had my way, he would be sacked but as i said, he isn't going to be so i will get behind him, think that's a ****ing good thing personally & if a lot of people had my way of thinking, then it would be for the better...
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Yes i did, based on the outcome of a Meeting that confirms that he is going to be our Manager next year which you fail to mention !!!!!

What's so f***ing wrong with that ???

If i had my way, he would be sacked but as i said, he isn't going to be so i will get behind him, think that's a f***ing good thing personally & if a lot of people had my way of thinking, then it would be for the better...
Yeah, I respect you for it, thought it was an honourable thing to do. That's why I'm asking why you want to list all his faults as a manager just hours later. It wasn't meant to be offensive, I just thought there was one more fan in the Curbishley supporters club and so was a bit disappointed that you were ready to criticise him again.
Bobby Orangeboom

Roaring Repka wrote: Yeah, I respect you for it, thought it was an honourable thing to do. That's why I'm asking why you want to list all his faults as a manager just hours later. It wasn't meant to be offensive, I just thought there was one more fan in the Curbishley supporters club and so was a bit disappointed that you were ready to criticise him again.
But i didn't criticise him, i juts said i was tired & let Carnage get on with it.. :wink:

It's not what you say , it's how you say it.. :wink:

Honestly look, if he's gonna be our Manager, there's nothing i or anyone else can do about it so i'll back him, like i always have if i'm honest..

I don't think i've ever really slagged him off & have invariably stuck up for him when others have gone too OTT for my liking.

But as he is our Manager next Year, i certainly doubt very much that we'll progress as much as i think we could possibly do next year under him, i just have to prepare myself for another mediocre year & more stabilization & 40 points by Mid Jan latest & then a very low key last 4 & a half months to the Season.

Because nothing he has ever done in the past suggests it will be any different.

I hope i'm wrong & will be the first to admit it if i am.. :thup:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Bob I've sent a PM to apologise for if I've been overly rude, thought it was better to do that instead of clog up this great thread about something a bit irrelevant, especially when it was my own fault.

Back on topic, I think I'm ready for carnage's list of Curb's greatest failings :lol:
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

davids cross wrote: So only the people who go to every game can make any sort of rational judgement about what's best for West Ham ? Can't agree with that at all... For sure the people who go pay the money but that doesn't buy them the right to say what's best for the club above anyone else......From my point of view I've been to 8 games this season but during the 70s and 80s I put in a lot of miles supporting the club and kind of feel I've earned the right to give my opinion on the club even though I don't go to every game any more.......Some peoples circumsatances change and they cannot get to games as they once did, doesn't mean their opinion or judgement is lesser than someone who goes to every single game.
thats not what i meant at all.

my point is that if you had shelled out close to a grand for season tickets you'd be pretty unhappy too.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

chalks wrote:thats not what i meant at all.

my point is that if you had shelled out close to a grand for season tickets you'd be pretty unhappy too.
Even so, not completely true. I've done just that and am only unhappy because the season's over. If everyone was so outraged I don't think at least 10,000 (maybe more, I suck at maths) would have stayed at the end for the lap of honour and Hammer of the Year presentation and I know we won't have trouble selling out next year.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I'd say it was closer to 20,000 mate. Could have been wrong though...
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I'd say it was closer to 20,000 mate. Could have been wrong though...
I'm happy to go along with that, just didn't want to be accused of exaggerating if I was way out!

And a lot of the Villa stayed behind...I'm pretty sure that was because they wanted to clap Curbs on his lap of honour because it had been one of the most end-to-end attacking games of football they had witnessed all season :D
Bobby Orangeboom

Roaring Repka wrote:Bob I've sent a PM to apologise for if I've been overly rude, thought it was better to do that instead of clog up this great thread about something a bit irrelevant, especially when it was my own fault.

Back on topic, I think I'm ready for carnage's list of Curb's greatest failings :lol:
This is the type of Poster that says all nice things on the Boards then F's & B's in a PM to me... :lol:

You're just lucky i'm a tranquillo kind of Guy Mr Repka.. 8-)

Gayness is reserved for the Snug people only by the way Fella..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

chalks wrote:my point is that if you had shelled out close to a grand for season tickets you'd be pretty unhappy too.
Now you and I have watched some right old ***** together in the past mate ... I'm curious as to what makes this (or should I say last) season different from before? We all have a moan from time to time but I don't think I've ever heard you this disenchanted with it all.
Bobby Orangeboom

Up the Junction wrote: Now you and I have watched some right old s***e together in the past mate ... I'm curious as to what makes this (or should I say last) season different from before? We all have a moan from time to time but I don't think I've ever heard you this disenchanted with it all.
I tell you what's really weird, even some of the Boys who i watch WH with, they don't use this Site or any others, rarely go Home, but when they were at Home they went all of the time, they too are even saying that they're massively disheartened with it all & might give it a rest next year..

Ok we don't shell out the money here like you do but we have to make sacrifices in our Lives like you do by getting out of Bed at 3 in the morning & not being able to get back to sleep, having to drink Beer until 2 in the morning when we're the late Saturday Game etc... :wink:

No seriously, it is weird & it certainly isn't just Chalks or people that go on this Forum, it's a weird kind of vibe completely accross the Board within our Fan Base at the moment, i can tell you that for sure...

One thing that someone said to me the other day that has stuck in my head was " I've not had enough of Football or West Ham, i've just ****ing had enough of the Premiership " ???????? :think:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Ok we don't shell out the money here like you do but we have to make sacrifices in our Lives like you do by getting out of Bed at 3 in the morning & not being able to get back to sleep, having to drink Beer until 2 in the morning when we're the late Saturday Game etc... :wink:
Yeah, my heart bleeds mate :lol:
Bobby Orangeboom wrote:One thing that someone said to me the other day that has stuck in my head was " I've not had enough of Football or West Ham, i've just f***ing had enough with the Premiership " ?
See, I can empathise with that. I think it's the fact that the same four clubs will top the table whilst you're pretty much guaranteed that two of the three clubs coming up will be going straight back down. There's just no competition any more (bar can we finish above Spurs again ... woohoo).

Bob, you and I (well maybe not you as you're lucky enough to be a few years younger than me but you'll get my drift) grew up with the likes of Forest coming up from Division 2 and winning Division 1 the next season ... with teams from outside the top flight regularly making Cup Finals/Semi Finals etc ... with teams like Wimbledon going from Divison 4 to Division 1 within three years.

The money, whilst good for the elite clubs is killing the game - and there seems to be no way out of it. Not that the FA or the Premier League give a monkey's whilst they're making millions out of it.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Up the Junction wrote:
The money, whilst good for the elite clubs is killing the game - and there seems to be no way out of it. Not that the FA or the Premier League give a monkey's whilst they're making millions out of it.
Sadly that's the crux of the matter. More and more people are becoming disenfranchised with the Premiership. However it might not be all bad news as I can imagine quite a few of those leaving might begin to attend lower league matches instead.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Fionn Kiely wrote:Sadly that's the crux of the matter. More and more people are becoming disenfranchised with the Premiership. However it might not be all bad news as I can imagine quite a few of those leaving might begin to attend lower league matches instead.
Funny you should say that ... a (Dagenham-based) Chelsea supporting colleague of mine and I were talking just yesterday about the possibility of getting over to D&R next season.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

FK, UTJ and BO

after seeing some cracking play off games (and i know that it is not entirely representative of the week in week out dross on offer, but a lot of lower league games could be very entertaining.

perhaps one could choose to watch a "game of the week" so to speak, a nice local derby and get better viewing and more entertainment for their money.

rather than go and watch ***** premier league games at a hell of a lot of pay out. even if the lower league games WERE *****, at least it would be cheaper ***** !!

:lol:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I used to go over dagenham, it could be a laugh at times but it was real predictable route one tactics :lol: Though they did have mark stein at the time who just ****ed that league over and almost got them promoted alone :lol:
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Sadly that's the crux of the matter. More and more people are becoming disenfranchised with the Premiership.
More and more people in England, sure. But in the rest of the world, the Premiership continues to grow in popularity. I read somewhere that between 100 million and 300 million Chinese watch it every week. (The population of the US as a whole is somewhere around 300 million now.) That's a lot of shirts, scarves and TV rights money. Here in the US, I get more football on TV than I ever got in France or Holland; I get almost every Premiership game at some point during the week, lots of them live. (Of course, I do have Setanta at home, which not many people have, but still...)

The point is that the Prem is just going to keep getting bigger, and the big clubs are going to keep getting richer. It's largely out of your hands now--it's a global product (brand, if you want to sound American), and foreigners (like me) are pumping money into it. Just look at the ownership of the big clubs (and of WHU, for that matter).

Still, I agree that the Prem is boring. Relegation battles are the most interesting matches! The CCC on Setanta has mostly been better viewing this season and has provided a lot more suspense. The lower-division playoffs have been great. But, then, most European leagues are boring now, dominated by a handful of huge clubs. The CL churns out the usual suspects every year, too. The UEFA Cup has provided much more entertaining football.

Maybe a younger generation of fans will respond by going to lower-league games and supporting the local side--but my guess is that they'll all become big four fans and be content to watch mostly on TV.
Bobby Orangeboom

Up the Junction wrote:

See, I can empathise with that. I think it's the fact that the same four clubs will top the table whilst you're pretty much guaranteed that two of the three clubs coming up will be going straight back down. There's just no competition any more (bar can we finish above Sp*rs again ... woohoo).

Bob, you and I (well maybe not you as you're lucky enough to be a few years younger than me but you'll get my drift) grew up with the likes of Forest coming up from Division 2 and winning Division 1 the next season ... with teams from outside the top flight regularly making Cup Finals/Semi Finals etc ... with teams like Wimbledon going from Divison 4 to Division 1 within three years.

& that's just the thing isn't it ??

No one cares about the Game any more, it's just about the $$$$.

There is NO chance of Blackburn winning the League again, the FA Cup no matter what anyone says, has been devalued over the last few Seasons due to a new Competition that has SERIOUS $$ in it ( CL ) so even though there's romance in it still, it isn't the same as it used to be, the 2 arguebly biggest cheats in our Game get Player of the Season & Runner up respectively, the Top 4 won't get broken AGAIN & we this time next year will be arguing whether Curbishley deserves another Season as we've made a little tiny bit of progress AGAIN which some will say justifies him staying with others complaining that we were meant to have a Billionaire Chairman & why isn't he acting like one ???

I don't know, the magic has gone for me i think too & i don't even go any more..

Best Post on here for Donkey's years was Hawkins's about the Saturday's that he goes to the Games from Brighton & it was lovely to read, it really was & he still has the magic, without a doubt..

But the more i think about it, the more i relate to the Persons comments about the Premiership & what it really is now, & that's not good i don't think...

This same person, i swear to God ( reason why i swear to God was because of the Lower League Team he mentioned ), said he was thinking about even following a lower League Team, he said obviously he'd always be WH, because that's just what he is & you can NEVER shake it but he was serious when he was saying it..

He actually even went as far as to say one of the Teams that it could be it shocked me big time but that's how strongly he felt obviously about the whole thing & that also made me stand up & think that something is definately not right & things are not all well..
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Up the Junction wrote: Now you and I have watched some right old s***e together in the past mate ... I'm curious as to what makes this (or should I say last) season different from before? We all have a moan from time to time but I don't think I've ever heard you this disenchanted with it all.

oh im disenchanted alright mate.ive never seen so many games before where you know what tactical changes/ substitutions need to be made a good half hour before the manager decides to do them. He is so late with changes its embarrassing. Thats just one thing. The dour tactics just make you want to cry at times.

He's survived the season only becuase he kept us up last season, yet people forget the fact that the strongest side was only played when he had no choice. His first choice keeper was Roy Carroll ffs. He picked Quashie over Noble!!! It was only when Carroll was past the point of no return that he was dropped, and it was only Quashie's injury against Fulham that let in Noble. As for Tevez, i dont think i need to remind anyone that he wasnt Curbishleys first choice.

His record since Xmas has been pretty much relegation form, and can you really see that changing?? The injuries have been bad granted, but by sacking the Sports Scientists and going for old style coaching methods he has no one to blame but for himself. Yeah ok Faubert and Dyer were impact injuries so cant be helped, but when you have players constantly dropping out with muscular problems you really do have deeper issues.

Also, his attitude towards the supporters who pay his ****ing wages are nothing short of disgraceful.

Lastly, the things i hear from people i trust about the amount of players that really want out if he stays just says it all.The thing is, thanks to Eggy giving him a huge 4 year contract, we cant afford to sack him!!!

So yes i am disenchanted, and i find it ****ing galling when people that dont attend matches tell me im a new breed West Ham fan and should f*** off to Tottenham Headbanger
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Bobby, you getting over-sensitive again?
One of the bad posters said something 'orrible? :lol: :wink: