Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Should Alan Curbishley remain as West Ham United manager for the 2008/09 season?

Yes
69%
No
21%
Unsure
11%

Total votes: 511

ironworks41

Re: Alan Curbishley: the end of season poll

Post by ironworks41 »

Well,its been a long time coming,
but it was inevitable that sooner or later disillusionment with 'our game' would set in.When the game was taken away from the genuine fans and supporters and given over to the fashion industry for consumption by transient corporates out on an 'all exes paid' lark nobody thought that the roots would wither and die.
The disenchantment we have with the game is manifested by us turning on the Club we love,and those we perceive to be in charge of it.
I have been of the opinion for some time that the Premier will eventually implode,and turn into a Haarlam Globetrotters franchise with the Manc Allstars playing exhibition matches against a team of highly paid mercenaries as all the monies available gravitate to the top.Think about it top four plus two become a super league, eventually the losers will fall off the bottom and leave the top two to play each other till boredom kicks in and Sky transfer their TV money to embrace a new sporting audience,including women (more opportunities for the advertisers) probably underwater badminton,
Well the sooner the better,lets get back to what we all enjoy. fair competition and the chance for someone like Ipswich, under Alf Ramsey to come up from nowhere win the league with a new system and then disappear again.Entertaining ? Yes,Boring ? never.
With respect to all the shades of opinion on this Forum,we have more information,analysis and opinion from so called pundits in media and on TV available and think this makes us all experts in our own right
.From this we absorb information about the best formations,the best tactics,the best buys and now we are first class Football Managers,except for one thing,we do not have any players or responsibilities. If we get it wrong,we can hide behind a keyboard and a nickname.Not so Managers,they all say exactly the same thing,if you listen closely enough. Curbishley,Moyes,Hughes,spot the difference.
So Curbs tactics are brilliant/naive,team selection random/chosen for a specific purpose,transfers are great/appalling,injuries never happen/are to be expected.Most of the information is sanitised for our consumption,because no manager is in a position to tell it like it is.
How do we know what goes on in the dressing room or training ground,who does the marking job he is allocated,who is playing in an unfamiliar position,who is carrying a knock,will young Freddie freeze in front of a hostile crowd?
.Any one who has managed a job function of any degree will know your own people and yourself have good and bad days and do'nt always get it right.
As always I will carry on supporting West Ham,maybe not the Premier,unless it radically changes its direction and realises a League is only as strong as it weakest teams and does more to iron out the gap between the haves and have nots.Perhaps thats why us Irons enjoy the Cups more than most,they,after all, seem more real

Sorry to go on,just needed to get it it off my chest.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

jate to say it..

but....

NFL ~ bigger than ever ~ t.v. dictated

NBA ~ t.v. dictated ~ taking over scheduling for the best teams/matchups to be on at better times (i.e. san antonio playing game 6 on thursday if it goes to game 7 on monday think the celtics play driday sunday or similar..) also going global..

MLB ~ who really gives a flying f***

:P
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Personally i hope Curbishley is in charge for years to come. The talk about taking us to the 'next level' is b*ll*cks i think a majority has shown we don't want this next level sh*t. I would be quite happy to get to the FA cup final again and win it with a few sporadic trips into europe. The reason for not wanting all the hype and glory? The moments when you do achieve anything are so much more intense and satisfying, you ask the top 4 supporters about the domestic cups and they don't really give a flying f*ck about them and what they stand for the giant killing etc they don't care they want to play AC or Barca they are the most boring predictable followers of football known to man they have no real grasp of what supporting a club is about they just sign up to a brand and believe that it is them that is superior to the rest of us because they follow a machine an ideal which in reality is beyond most of them in real life.

Weekend millionaires the lot of them!

Biggest question you should ask yourself is are you an indie or pop person.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

carnage wrote: Throwing away a 2 goal lead in your example could be a negative. :wink:
Except it largely came about from the very positive decision to play a teenager in central defence to help his development.
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

carnage wrote: Throwing away a 2 goal lead in your example could be a negative. :wink:
I wasn't asking for examples of negative happenings, I was asking for examples of 'negative football' due to my belief that Curbishley, despite sometimes being cautious with substitutions, isn't a manager who seeks to play drab football ala Bolton and that it is a complete myth to suggest he did that all the time at Charlton, when as I've already pointed out he played out a thrilling 3-3 draw with Man United, 4-4 draw with us, 4-2 win at Highbury, three straight wins over Chelsea, numerous wins over Liverpool, etc. Pure myth.

As for this example, to throw away a 2-0 lead was not because of negative football, if anything it was a result of being too positive. People moan about Curbishley making West Ham lose their identity but I doubt anyone could argue that on that day we played the football the fans want to see and in typical West Ham style, we threw away a lead because of attacking with pace and flair and taking the game to the opposition, in what I consider our best home performance of the season - we threw it away but that's typical West Ham for you - that's what you're asking for week in, week out, isn't it?
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Fionn Kiely wrote: Sadly that's the crux of the matter. More and more people are becoming disenfranchised with the Premiership. However it might not be all bad news as I can imagine quite a few of those leaving might begin to attend lower league matches instead.
This may be stretching this particular topic a bit far....but does this disenfrachisement of the PL bring into play the possibility of the Big 4 going off to participate in a Euro League; leaving the PL to become a far more competitive and (hopefully!) exciting league without them?
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

Loftyhammer wrote:This may be stretching this particular topic a bit far....but does this disenfrachisement of the PL bring into play the possibility of the Big 4 going off to participate in a Euro League; leaving the PL to become a far more competitive and (hopefully!) exciting league without them?
These thoughts did cross my mind after reading some of the comments in my thread. Sadly though, it would probably just result in one or two clubs overtaking their status as the money men, attracting the best players and dominating, then they would join a Euro league, then it could just go on and on in an endless cycle (obviously even if it was just us, Northwich Victoria, Corinthian Casuals and Greenwich Borough left in England, we still wouldn't win the league :D We might stay up though!
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Roaring Repka wrote: These thoughts did cross my mind after reading some of the comments in my thread. Sadly though, it would probably just result in one or two clubs overtaking their status as the money men, attracting the best players and dominating, then they would join a Euro league, then it could just go on and on in an endless cycle (obviously even if it was just us, Northwich Victoria, Corinthian Casuals and Greenwich Borough left in England, we still wouldn't win the league :D We might stay up though!
No such thing as an easy game these days :wink: I think in terms of stadia capacities and fanbase etc (ie money generating potential), the clubs left are much of a muchness, so I'm not sure a few would separate from the rest quite so easily - although I catch your drift!

FWIW, I voted yes re AC. He doesn't deserve to be binned, after doing what he was (apparently) asked to do. I'm hoping the dull football was a means to an end. and we can look forward to better stuff next year. He deserves the chance to prove it IMO
WHJ
Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Post by WHJ »

A yes from me.

Curbs was instrumental in keeping us up and as has already been said he's taken us to mid table with virtually half a (first choice) team.

I want to see a more attacking team next season however and if Curbs and the medical team can get the (non-impact) injuries sorted out, I'd hope we'd be looking to finish 8th or above.
ajarn col

Post by ajarn col »

Yes, of course he should remain manager , and hopefully pushing on for a European place at the end of next season.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I demand a recount :lol:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

70%? That's a pretty good approval rate.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Fionn Kiely wrote:70%? That's a pretty good approval rate.
Although pleased.........quite shocked it is so high :thup:

I would have expected about 60% if you had asked me before the vote.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

The way some of the arguments were going earlier in the season I was expecting maybe 50-50 if we were lucky. 70% is a fantastic endorsement.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

I'm not anti Curbs.

I think some of the people he bought over the summer was never intended to be playing the kind of football that he had been over the majority of the season,

I'll give him to Christmas for the fitness levels to be sorted, Hopefully that will massively improve the quality of the football :crest:
Roaring Repka

Post by Roaring Repka »

I'm waiting for the post saying...

We'll I'm pretty certain that these 333 fans that have voted in favour of Curbishley are the only 333 people who support our club that liked him. If you banned these 333 members and started again, then you'd get a truer picture...

or

There's no doubt about it, someone has created 300 different accounts and kept voting for Curbs, these results are clearly a joke.

or

Curbishley has paid off KUMB to skew the figures to make it look like people actually like him.

I too was expecting a negative result to this thread but I'm so delighted and reassured to know that most of our fans are in favour of the man who has taken us from the relegation zone to the top ten and sorted out so many internal problems. Though I disagree, I respect and understand many of the arguments placed against him, the main one being that people don't have as much fun, but as I've said before I think that's just as much to do with league position as quality of football, as the last two home games were class. I'm really optimistic about next season and glad to see I'm not alone :)
Limehouse

Post by Limehouse »

I am quite prepared to give Curbs another season because clearly we're too skint for him to be let loose in the part of the transfer market he understands - English footballers of a certain age.

My point every time is that no player last year came to our club because they wanted to play for him and several went elsewhere. Prepare for watch Dunne sign for a winner with something other than memories in his trophy cabinet (as a player or manager).
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

It's like a Burmese election ..

Well I guess I'm in a 19% minority - just wonder if perhaps too many fans will accept dull, mediocre footie and the consequent results that come with it ...

Me, I just want to push for a regular 6th in the league, European footie and a trip to Wemberleee every 4/5 years or so - be nice to see some attacking, flowing football too......

Till August then .....
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think this poll would produce an entirely different result if it were conducted around the end of October
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Puff Daddy wrote:I think this poll would produce an entirely different result if it were conducted around the end of October
It would also have produced entirely different results if it were conducted around this time last year.