The Board (a poll)

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you believe West Ham United's current owners/board can deliver success in the long term?

Yes
8%
No
78%
Unsure
14%

Total votes: 377

Buxe
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: The Board (a poll)

Post by Buxe »

I spent a long time giving the board the benefit of the doubt but I am now sure that they are not able to take the club any further forward.

The way they have transacted their business this season has been nothing short of a disgrace. They have tried to get as much money from supporters as possible, while putting nothing back into a 'product' which they have actually weakened!

It will take a generation for the shame of the Tevez affair to pass. In fairness though, the previous board must take the bulk of the guilt.

In footballing terms our squad now has a number of loanees (Lasuvka, Illunga, Di Michelle) and recruits of questionable quality on short term contracts (Lopez, Tristan). They have sold performers of proven premier league quality - In Ferdinand and McCartney we had two pro's capable of playing 30+ games a seson, a rare commodity among our current squad! I fear it may now be club policy to maintain a very small group of contracted pro's, then add loaned players if available. I make that a recipe for disaster!

I will have patience with Zola, but I have my concerns. Time will tell, but in this league money talks and as BG can't support him, i fear the big four, Man city, Aston Villa & Spurs will leave us well behind. I believe it is only selfish interests that makes BG wish to keep the club. He must know they can not take us forward and surely that means they are not acting in the best interests of the club.

The lies are the final straw for me: The Ljungberg affair, us being in negotiations for Appiah to 'counter' our deadline day activity , the role of Duxbury in Curbs leaving, our policy of squad quality over quantity etc etc.
ponder

Post by ponder »

I foolishly failed to read the poll properly and voted 'yes'. :oops: So chalk one of those off and add it to 'no'. :wink:
Shminky Malinky

Post by Shminky Malinky »

Can the deliver long term success? Agree with all those who questioned "success", its all relative but i'm not sure the current owners have what it takes to keep us in this division.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Fantastic stuff lads. As I've suggested before- its about time we revolted.

The club is so poorly run its embarassing. No matter what they say, I cant think of another club that would STILL be playing with iron on numbers on the front of their shirts because they couldn't/ wouldnt get some chinese bloke to run off a few new ones without the logo on.

really, that says it all...

The only club that could throw money at a chump like llundberg, make him the centre piece to a marketing programme, fall out of love with him- rip up his contract, throw more money at him, and let him play for another club a couple of months later, for more money.

****ing priceless!!!

Duxbury's slime all over the problems that we're still in the middle of, two years on, and looking at about a cost of £50 M to the club- what do we do? Give him a promotion GIVE HIM A ****ing PROMOTION - - I ASK YOU?!?!

You couldnt' make it up

Its a good job we see our club a sexy coquette'ish young page three stunner who teases us, stripes us for money and sends us off now and again with a grope that keeps us coming back for more - and not an incontinent, toothless old crack whore who just sees us as cash machines and cares not a damn :think: :think:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Arch Dandy wrote: [
Without wanting to nit pick, we haven't kept a clean sheet in some 9 months (23rd Feb) so I'm not sure it's entirley the selling of Ferdinand and McCartney that is too blame for us failing to keep one since... or that they were the best defensive unit in years.
It was only one week later that the unit broke up - due to injury. Our failure to get them on the field together again is a big factor in why we dont keep clean sheets IMO. Their continued separation is due to financial mismanagement.

That in turn has led to unsettling the club, which in turn has lead to poor performances and results.

The concept of good performances where you dont score goals for weeks on end, rarely look like scoring and always manage to let them in is a bit lost on me I'm afraid. If its true that that is acceptable then I think Pardew has a case for a lawsuit from when Eggy sacked him.

The concerning thing, on the pitch, is that our form has gone to pot so early in the season. If it continues, the manager is going to need the boards financial support. We will not be able to scrape by with fairly ordinary loanees/freebies. Will they back him? I suspect not.
beckton

Post by beckton »

w4hammer wrote:
Its a good job we see our club a sexy coquette'ish young page three stunner who teases us, stripes us for money and sends us off now and again with a grope that keeps us coming back for more - and not an incontinent, toothless old crack whore who just sees us as cash machines and cares not a damn :think: :think:
Sums it up perfectly.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Its a fair reflection of the distain with which we hold the current administration.

The arguments put forward are all valid and fair. The club has become a sham in the past year, and we (as supporters) have been held in the dark, and, by extension, in contempt. These are the same fans which have invested time, effort and money into the same club.

It is a disgrace to think that we have been forced to contend with the sort of rubbish that has been going on.

Probably the most glaring example was the sale of many of our good players, to be replaced by a shower of crap loanees
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Arch Dandy wrote:Without wanting to nit pick, we haven't kept a clean sheet in some 9 months (23rd Feb) so I'm not sure it's entirley the selling of Ferdinand and McCartney that is too blame for us failing to keep one since... or that they were the best defensive unit in years.
The quartet of Neill, Ferdinand, Upson and McCartney only lasted 2 more games (although they were 2 of the infamous 4-0 thrashings). Shortly after Spector was brought in because of injury, then Tomkins. Before Feb 23rd they'd kept 4 other clean sheets that season.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

QuintonNimoy wrote:The quartet of Neill, Ferdinand, Upson and McCartney only lasted 2 more games (although they were 2 of the infamous 4-0 thrashings). Shortly after Spector was brought in because of injury, then Tomkins. Before Feb 23rd they'd kept 4 other clean sheets that season.
Quite interesting, but before our last clean sheet 9 months ago, that season we'd kept 10 clean sheets (including the Fulham game), 5 of those had the 'best defence' quartet and 5 didn't so it didn't seem to make that much difference to how well our team performed in terms of keeping clean sheets, indeed some of oyr worse defeats of the season came when the best quartet were playing...

It could also be mentioned that we couldn't seem to keep the best quartet fit enough to play together for any significant amount of time, one of them had been publically reprimanded for lying to the club and leaving the country and another one had spoken to the manager of his desire to leave and move up north... I'm not sure if any of that would have an unsettling effect on the club.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Arch Dandy wrote: Quite interesting, but before our last clean sheet 9 months ago, that season we'd kept 10 clean sheets (including the Fulham game), 5 of those had the 'best defence' quartet and 5 didn't so it didn't seem to make that much difference to how well our team performed in terms of keeping clean sheets, indeed some of oyr worse defeats of the season came when the best quartet were playing...
I think the main point of what I wrote is that the long run without a clean sheet is probably largely due to Spector and the rookie Tomkins having a run in the side, and nowadays we have what is our supposed to be our first choice on the pitch.

Looking at the record it appears that usually Gabiddon (and less so Collins) were responsible for most of the other best defensive performances, usually in place of Anton. Because of that I think Gabiddon's continued absence is a serious concern and whether he'll ever appear again is probably more of an issue than gets mentioned. We'll see how well Ginge does now he's back - there certainly seems to be a lot more aggression in the heart of our defence. Hopefully this will give us more options to protect the right side.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Was the front page story written before the poll was put up out of interest? :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

It's a fairly leading question "Do you believe West Ham United's current owners/board can deliver success in the long term?", as what is judged as sucess for a non "top 4" side is fairly subjective. Maybe "Stability and progression" would be a better phrasing, though personally I'm not convinced they can or will achieve either, though some might disagree.
carnage

Post by carnage »

sendô wrote:It's a fairly leading question "Do you believe West Ham United's current owners/board can deliver success in the long term?",
I agree.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

carnage wrote: I agree.
Its only a leading question if you do in fact think that they can deliver such success.
carnage

Post by carnage »

prophet:marginal wrote: Its only a leading question if you do in fact think that they can deliver such success.
Which has turned in to a "no confidence" vote in the Board. Which is completely different IMO.
Even if they were running things to evberyones liking there is no guarantee of success, in fact my answer would have been the same.(Unsure)
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

A poll with only 2 choices, :?
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Unsure.
Although I can't bear the thought of no more Bolyne Ground, the Olympic Stadium 'may' just be a leg up...who knows, Look at what happened to Man City once they got that stadium after the commonwealth games.
Yes, I am deluded but hey ho!

Yes......You got me! :x
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

No... I think it is survival at all costs and then sell just prior to going into the O.S.

Just realised this was tagged on to a 2008 thread. Good housekeeping UTJ. !
carnage

Post by carnage »

Pop Robson wrote:A poll with only 2 choices, :?
There are 3 choices?
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Am I right in thinking this poll is from 2008? Might he interesting to start a new one to see if people's opinions have changed.