saturday's gossip includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammersgirl7573

Rob Green talks to the Mail

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

When you have suffered from severe altitude sickness, the heady heights of international football do not appear half as terrifying.

Robert Green, West Ham’s goalkeeper and now favourite to start for England in next month’s World Cup qualifiers in the absence of the injured David James, regards his climb to the summit of Kilimanjaro last summer as his finest achievement. He completed it half a step at a time while trying, in vain, to control his bodily functions, and found it so tough it took him longer than the petite Cheryl Cole or the rather tubby
Chris Moyles when they followed him up Africa’s highest peak in March.

‘You set off at midnight in the hope of reaching the summit by sunrise,’ says Green. ‘I got there at about lunchtime, in a real mess. Some people suffer from altitude sickness, some don’t. I live by the Thames and I train at sea level. I guess I’m used to sucking in lots of oxygen. It hit me hard. I was delirious, and by the time I made my way back down I was the best part of two stone lighter.’

Green is a bit deeper than your average professional footballer. He writes poetry, had his own newspaper column and claims to have dozens of different ideas for a novel. He describes the whole Kilimanjaro experience — the climb, and the time he spent beforehand with the African Medical and Research Foundation in Kenya — as life-changing. It gave him a new perspective, and what he considers a much healthier one. Playing for England? ‘At the end of the day it’s a game of football,’ he says.

But even Green winces at the thought of someone playing for England who was born in Pamplona. ‘I think the pressure of being England’s goalkeeper would be heightened if you were Spanish,’ he says.

We are talking, of course, about Manuel Almunia, Arsenal’s goalkeeper and someone who might yet apply for British citizenship in the hope of playing for England. Almunia has said he is interested, and although there is opposition to such a move inside the FA it has not been ruled out by Fabio Capello, the England manager.

If Almunia did one day represent England, Green would be among the number of goalkeepers currently performing every week in the Barclays Premier League who would have something of an axe to grind.

‘If he wants to do it, good luck to him,’ says Green. ‘But it’s difficult, and whether the FA would allow it to happen, I don’t know. It has obviously happened for a while in cricket and rugby. You can play rugby league for one country and rugby union for another, which I think is probably wrong.

Football would attract a lot more attention, and I think the FA would have to think long and hard about it because it would obviously set a precedent.

‘I’m not sure how I really feel about it. It’s a difficult one for me to answer. But right now there is a dividing line between the best countries in the world and the best club sides in the world. If something like this happened and others followed, countries would start taking on the identities of clubs.’

But does he not feel insulted? Is it not disrespectful to even entertain the idea, not just to him but to goalkeepers such as Ben Foster, Chris Kirkland, Scott Carson and Paul Robinson. Not to mention James, who has started all 13 of Capello’s England games.

‘It’s narrow-minded to dismiss it because it could happen,’ Green says. ‘I don’t think it would even be an issue if we had a Peter Shilton or a David Seaman.

‘But the English goalkeepers aren’t getting the chance to prove themselves at the very highest level. They are not playing at one of the top five clubs. Almunia is playing well and he is playing well at Arsenal, and that is why there is a debate.

‘If Ben Foster is given the chance to become Manchester United’s No 1, and we find out he’s good enough, things could change. Likewise if Almunia was playing at a less fashionable club I don’t think we would be talking about him.’

After another excellent season at Upton Park and a second cap in the friendly against Spain in February, Green believes he is good enough. He has developed under the guidance of West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola and grown in confidence in a league now boasting some of the finest sides in Europe.

‘There has been some upheaval here this season with a change in manager,’ says Green. ‘But after what looked like a real baptism of fire for him, the new manager has done tremendously well.

‘He’s introduced a new brand of football. Changed the way we play. I think everyone has benefited, including me when it comes to distribution.

‘Now that we are being encouraged to play football, and the guys have the confidence to play the ball, I have been able to release the ball from the hand a lot more.

‘I remember there were times at Norwich when we were struggling and I’d get slaughtered by the fans for kicking it long all the time. But if people don’t want the ball you don’t have a lot of choice.

‘The guys have taken on board what the manager says and been given a self-belief to be able to play the kind of football we are trying to play. I always believed I could do it but I needed to be in a team where the guys wanted to do it as well.’

So what about England then? ‘I feel like I’m ready,’ he says. ‘I’ve not played in Europe but the Premier League now has four teams who are dominating the Champions League and at West Ham you get to play them at least eight times a season.

‘I’ve also had the experience of training with the England boys, so again I think I understand what it’s all about. International football is another step up but I feel I’m ready to take that step. I remember Geoffrey Boycott saying in his book that you should never stop yourself taking the next step because you’ll only find out if you can cope with it by taking that step. Hopefully the chance will come along for me.

‘Coming on against Spain was good. In some ways it was a tough game to come into but in others it was a blinding game to come into. They are one of the best teams in the world and to get a chance to show what I can do and show I could hold my own was a great thing. It was a great experience, something I thoroughly enjoyed. And it was good to get off the one-cap mark. I’d been stuck there for four or five years.

‘It is a funny position because I’ve been in a lot of squads, dating back to 2004, and I’ve sat and watched a lot of England games. I missed out for a year or so while Steve McClaren was manager but it must be getting close to 40 games I’ve sat and watched from the bench.’

Kazakhstan and Andorra come next for England and Green is not the least bit daunted by the challenge.

‘It’s not terrifying at all,’ he says. ‘It’s a pressure position, but Jamo has performed consistently well for Portsmouth over the last few seasons and he has transferred that form to England. It’s just a case of doing the work and having the confidence to do the work.’

Green has actually never doubted himself. Even when he wore those gloves that suggested he was in fact ‘England’s No 6’.

‘That was just a bit of a joke,’ he says. ‘A bit of self-deprecation. It came up in a game at a time when I wasn’t in the squad. I made a save and the fans started chanting ‘England’s No 1’. I then turned to them and signalled, using my fingers, that I was more like six.

‘Then my glove manufacturer called me about it and I said, “You’ll be putting it on my gloves next”. A lot of the goalkeepers have their name embroidered on their gloves but I don’t like it. I would rather just have the brand. But the next thing I know he’s sent me a whole batch of them, and I wore a pair just for a gag. I think people realise that.’

The final part of the climb from No 6 to No 1 is not going to be a problem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: Rob Green talks to the Mail

Post by Kialos »

That's a really positive interview and I like his thinking when he says

"So what about England then? ‘I feel like I’m ready,’ he says. ‘I’ve not played in Europe but the Premier League now has four teams who are dominating the Champions League and at West Ham you get to play them at least eight times a season."

That says to me he's not going to start wanting away in the Summer
Claret & Bordeaux

Post by Claret & Bordeaux »

I still do not undertand why James would start if fit - he'll be 40 next year (I think) and Greeno is certainly as good, if not better than him but more importantly, 10 years younger. With a few games under his belt Green should be able to prove his selection in front of the ageing calamity James... I pray
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I like Rob Green, one of my favourite Players for us.. :thup:

& i have said al along that it's the Qualifiers that count where Mr Capello's concerened, not leaving him out for Friendlies.. :thup:

Robert Green is currently the best English Goalkeeper & i think Capello knows that too....
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Greeno proves once again what a top man he is. :thup:

I am really surprised that the paper didnt get a good tabloid headline out of this bit :idea:

‘There has been some upheaval here this season with a change in manager,’ says Green. ‘But after what looked like a real baptism of fire for him, the new manager has done tremendously well.

‘He’s introduced a new brand of football. Changed the way we play. I think everyone has benefited, including me when it comes to distribution.

‘Now that we are being encouraged to play football, and the guys have the confidence to play the ball, I have been able to release the ball from the hand a lot more.

Surely they could have dished this up with a 'Green slams Curbishley'............................. :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's gossip includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the times
HAMMERS striker Carlton Cole plans to be a bit of "a nutter" in a bid to further his ambitions with West Ham and England.

The striker has been told to toughen up, be selfish and throw his weight around Premier League penalty boxes a bit more.

The advice partly came in a telephone call from England manager Fabio Capello to Cole's West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola.

Cole, who could start for the first time for West Ham in more than two months on Sunday against Middlesbrough following his return from a groin injury, said: "As a person I'm too nice of a guy, not really a selfish guy and that's how I was on the pitch as well. Now I've got to be a bit more selfish on the pitch. Try to be more of a nutter.

"I have to try to be aggressive at the right times and channel aggression in the right places."

Capello names his squad for next month's World Cup matches against Kazakhstan and Andorra on Sunday although Cole realises they could have come too soon for him following his lay-off after suffering a serious groin injury against Slovakia.

But he knows he is firmly on the radar of Capello, who favours playing with a big striker as a foil for the likes of Wayne Rooney.

"I've got to be a bit more selfish on the pitch"

And Zola has been working with him in training on some of the advice which Capello provided down the telephone.

Cole said: "He's (Capello) told me to work on some stuff because he sees me as a great threat in the box. Outmuscling defenders, using my physical presence and being clever as well with it. Hopefully I can keep on the right track.

"Fabio telephoned Franco (Zola) and Franco knows what I need to do so we keep on working in that in training.

"I was chuffed that Fabio showed an interest in me and thought I could improve. When you get to that level you're supposed to be a finished article but I'm far from that."

Not surprisingly, Capello's interest has boosted Cole's confidence, but the man who came through the Chelsea youth ranks knows continuing to score goals for West Ham is his top priority.

Cole's swift rehabilitation could be bad news for relegation-threatened Middlesbrough, who need to win and hope a five goals swing in goal difference goes their way if they are to avoid the drop into the Championship.

For West Ham there is the chance of finishing eighth, which would see them miss out on Europe by just one place, but Cole added: "This is an important game to end the season on a high."

Carlo Ancelotti wants Brazilian superstar Kaka to join him at Stamford Bridge if the Italian coach make the rumoured switch to manage Chelsea next season.
Daily Mail)

Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo is once again eyeing up a summer move to Real Madrid, despite recently suggesting he would be remaining at Old Trafford.
The Sun)

Martin O'Neill has warned Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to be wary of Liverpool's reported renewal of interest in his signature this summer, claiming he should possibly feel "hurt" by the Reds' reluctance to pay the club's asking price last off-season. (The Guardian)

If Liverpool do renew their interest in Barry they will still have to pay at least £10m for the player.
Daily Mirror)
Chelsea, Aston Villa and Blackburn are all in the hunt for Manchester City striker Daniel Sturridge after the striker rejected City's offer of a new contract.
Daily Mail)

Manchester City will relaunch will relaunch a £10million bid to sign Everton defender Joleon Lescott this summer.
The Sun)

City boss Mark Hughes has told any potential suitors for midfielder Stephen Ireland they are wasting their time as he will not be leaving the club.
The Sun)

Hughes has also reportedly switched his attentions to Aston Villa striker John Carew, after finally losing patience with Blackburn's demands for their striker Roque Santa Cruz.
The Mirror)

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate is planning a huge summer clear-out of players, regardless of which division they are in next season.
The Sun)

Wigan manager Steve Bruce is ready to offer Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant, currently on loan at Portsmouth, a move to the Latics this summer.
The Sun)

Former Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb says the Gunners must loosen their purse strings if they want to prevent their best players seeking moves to other clubs.
The Times)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger though has told the club's board to "shut up" about spending plans for the summer to prevent selling clubs from increasing their prices. (Various)

Everton boss David Moyes believes the club must make significant moves in the transfer market this summer to keep the club at a high level. (The Times)

Bolton manager Gary Megson is another who feels his side need to splash out in the off-season, but this is to avoid becoming embroiled in another relegation battle. (The Times)

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho insists he would not swap his striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic for European and World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo.
Daily Mail)

Millwall striker and record goalscorer Neil Harris says that Sunday's League One play-off final against Scunthorpe is a "bigger occasion" than the club's FA Cup final appearance against Manchester United in 2004.
The Times)

Burnley's Graham Alexander, 37, who will line-up for the Clarets against Sheffield United in the Championship play-off final on Monday, says the secret to his long career is that he never leaves training without first having an ice bath.
Daily Mail)

West Ham striker Carlton Cole has declared his intention to be "Selfish, more of a nutter and show aggression" to improve his game after being told by England coach Fabio Capello he had become "too nice".
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Re: saturday's gossip includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Manchester City are being linked with Aston Villa striker John Carew, while Martin O'Neill is said to be keen on Dean Ashton.
City are keen to sign a new targetman in the summer and reports say they are ready to turn to Carew after losing interest in Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz.

Villa boss O'Neill would prefer to keep hold of Carew but if a sizeable offer came in then he may be tempted to cash in and reinvest the money in a replacement.

O'Neill has targets of his own, one of them being Santa Cruz, while the latest reports suggest he could move for West Ham striker Ashton over the summer.

The Hammers are ready to let the striker move on and O'Neill could resurrect his interest in the targetman.

In Betfair you can either make a back bet (bet on who's going to win) or place a lay bet (bet against something happening). Betfair matches people on either side of the bet with the odds they agree. Simple. Use this £10 free bet and give it a try.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2009/05/23/ ... -progress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Cheers as always CH.
:thup:
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Thanks CH. :thup:
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Much appreciated CH :thup:
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

Cheers CH :thup:
TampaHammer

Chelsea chasing men? (non-whu)

Post by TampaHammer »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 45,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chelsea have made contact with Independiente over Fabian Assmann, skysports.com understands.

The highly-rated 23-year-old is being tracked by a host of clubs, with interest from England very strong.

Arsenal, Everton, Wolves and Birmingham are amongst the clubs linked with Assman, who could reportedly move on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

But it is Chelsea who are seemingly leading the chase after they made contact with Assmann's club Independiente.

Chelsea are looking for a new number two to provide back-up for Petr Cech and Middlesbrough's Ross Turnbull is known to be high on their wanted list.

However, Assmann is another potential recruit and his British-based representative Barry McIntosh has confirmed their interest.

"We have been made aware that Chelsea have gone to the club and made contact," McIntosh told skysports.com.

"However, there are a number of clubs looking at him and it is too early to say where it is happening."

McIntosh intimated that Assmann would prefer a move to a club where he would command the number one jersey.

"Assman will be playing for Argentina very soon, and with a World Cup coming up he has a very good chance of making the squad," he continued.

"So for him to go somewhere as number two, we are not sure if that is going to be the best option - if somebody else was to offer first-team football then we would have to look very closely at that."

That is an unfortunate name.. :lol:
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Re: Chelsea chasing men? (non-whu)

Post by Chippenhammer »

Chelsea in for Assman!
BLT319

Re: Chelsea chasing men? (non-whu)

Post by BLT319 »

its the assman!

Tel The Hammer