1901/02 WHU Kit, It Was.................

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Re: 1901/02 WHU Kit, It Was (Probably).................

Post by Chavs »

So what colour was it then? I reckon it was blue no c**** would wear pink back then.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Here's another pic,

Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I8CHAVS wrote:So what colour was it then? I reckon it was blue no c***s would wear pink back then.
Idiotic Grays P*nis Child.

Our Main/Primary Colour was Sky Blue, but it appears we also wore a whole host of different Colours over a 10 Year Period, one of which could/may have been Salmon amongst others.

Now **** off back to your R.E. Lesson.
Chavs

Post by Chavs »

So its a one in ten chance that your kit was right.........

10% :thdn:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I8CHAVS wrote:So its a one in ten chance that your kit was right.........

10% :thdn:
Not at all, Ted Fenton's Grandad saw it with his own eyes & none of us should have any reason to disbelieve him..

Admittedly it wasn't our Primary Colour though, which i plus many other " experts " initially had it down as.
Chavs

Post by Chavs »

Oh Dear
Oh Dear
Oh Dear

Seems a massive balls up.......

Bad darts.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Cheers Pop

This photo clearly shows battlements all around the top of the building down the road. It must have been part of the estate. I know for sure that not all of it was demolished in 1955 and some of this building survived until the 1990's at least.

Another historic point corrected in this thread!
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

The Old Mile End wrote:
Another historic point corrected in this thread!
1899/1900 kit, 1900/01 kit, 1901/02/03 kit, White change strip, 1930 FA Cup tie, badge and lettering on the 1895/6 kit, Castleated buildings in Green St, and we've seen off the Villa Style 1899 kit, the abominable striped 1899 kit, and proved that Liverpool wore a pink kit into the bargain.....
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

Ironworx wrote:1899/1900 kit, 1900/01 kit, 1901/02/03 kit, White change strip, 1930 FA Cup tie, badge and lettering on the 1895/6 kit, Castleated buildings in Green St, and we've seen off the Villa Style 1899 kit, the abominable striped 1899 kit, and proved that Liverpool wore a pink kit into the bargain.....
:clap: :crest:
Ironworx

Re: 1901/02 WHU Kit, It Was.................

Post by Ironworx »

Just bought this antique engraving on e-bay for ten quid....

Not very big at 5 x 6 inches but what an astonishing bargain :raver:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Aaaahh, eBay threads ...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God bless Di Greekio ... I just wish we still had the picture.
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

Up the Junction wrote:Aaaahh, eBay threads ...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

God bless Di Greekio ... I just wish we still had the picture.
I check on e-bay from time to time UtJ just in case there's anything of interest, I've seen a few things over time but this is the first time I've been tempted to buy. I bet it would go for more if the seller knew of the WHU connection....

Out of interest what did Di Greekio buy ?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Ironworx wrote:Just bought this antique engraving on e-bay for ten quid....

Not very big at 5 x 6 inches but what an astonishing bargain :raver:
Was it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1866-Paris-Fashio ... 27ac2ca09c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

No, not that one Pop but I did see that one. It's of the Thames Ironworks office building.....

Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

I've done a bit of research Pop, and I think I know what it is.

The original was an engraving on wood used to print the June 30 1866 Illustrated London News, I've found independent verification of that edition containing the picture, that is definitely the provenance.

This is a print claimedly made from that engraving at that time, so it's either a print of just the Ironworks engraving done in 1866 - Or it's a print of the entire ILN page set up done at that time and cut down to depict only the ironworks.

I assume that the Paris Fashion / Ironworks print is one made from the whole ILN page setup.

It is evidence that the office building on the east bank of the creek was built by 1866, so it must have been just the registered address of the ironworks that moved across the creek from the old office building in 1903, it wasn't a move to a new building.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

I know I may be stating the obvious here so apologies if I am, but browsing through the old accounts I was surprised to see that Thames ironwroks & Shipbuilding Company Limited is owned by WH Holding Limited

West Ham United Football Club plc 100% Great Britain Professional football club
West Ham United Sportswear Limited 100% Great Britain Retail & merchandising
West Ham United Hospitality Limited 100% Great Britain Catering & hospitality
West Ham United FC Limited 100% Great Britain Non trading
Thames Iron Works & Shipbuilding Company Limited 100% Great Britain Non trading
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

hammerdivone wrote:I know I may be stating the obvious here so apologies if I am, but browsing through the old accounts I was surprised to see that Thames ironwroks & Shipbuilding Company Limited is owned by WH Holding Limited

West Ham United Football Club plc 100% Great Britain Professional football club
West Ham United Sportswear Limited 100% Great Britain Retail & merchandising
West Ham United Hospitality Limited 100% Great Britain Catering & hospitality
West Ham United FC Limited 100% Great Britain Non trading
Thames Iron Works & Shipbuilding Company Limited 100% Great Britain Non trading
It was part of the group under Terry Brown, I assume it passed to Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson in the sale and then to WH Holding as part of the moratorium outcome. The company must either have been bought, or the name reregistered as a new company as Thames Iron went out of business in 1912.

I don't know how long it's been part of the group but I rather suspect that it's something that Terry Brown might do, as when I wrote the article for the matchday programme Terry Brown took personal interest and actively contacted Aston Villa so as to establish contact with their historians. Terry Brown was very WHU history minded, he commissioned an expensive model of HMS Warrior, and he owns a vintage Thames car manufactured by the Thames Engineering Works.

The Thames Engineering Works was the John Penn and Sons Ship Engine Works which collapsed 1898 I believe, and was bought out by Thames Iron in 1899 as it was their supplier of ship engines. Interestingly Barnes Wallis of Wellington bomber and Dambusters fame was a Thames Engineering apprentice, and Thames Engineering vehicles went on to become Thames vans, lorries and buses under Ford ownership.

The takeover of Penn and Sons by Thames Iron was a major factor in the foundation of WHU, as the takeover entailed becoming a public company which meant that Arnold Hills could no longer bankroll TIWFC from Thames Iron sources, and shareholders would be unlikely to countenance it = The team needed to become independent of Thames Iron which it did in 1900.

All interesting stuff..................
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Ironworx wrote:
It was part of the group under Terry Brown, I assume it passed to Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson in the sale and then to WH Holding as part of the moratorium outcome. The company must either have been bought, or the name reregistered as a new company as Thames Iron went out of business in 1912.

I don't know how long it's been part of the group but I rather suspect that it's something that Terry Brown might do, as when I wrote the article for the matchday programme Terry Brown took personal interest and actively contacted Aston Villa so as to establish contact with their historians. Terry Brown was very WHU history minded, he commissioned an expensive model of HMS Warrior, and he owns a vintage Thames car manufactured by the Thames Engineering Works.

The Thames Engineering Works was the John Penn and Sons Ship Engine Works which collapsed 1898 I believe, and was bought out by Thames Iron in 1899 as it was their supplier of ship engines. Interestingly Barnes Wallis of Wellington bomber and Dambusters fame was a Thames Engineering apprentice, and Thames Engineering vehicles went on to become Thames vans, lorries and buses under Ford ownership.

The takeover of Penn and Sons by Thames Iron was a major factor in the foundation of WHU, as the takeover entailed becoming a public company which meant that Arnold Hills could no longer bankroll TIWFC from Thames Iron sources, and shareholders would be unlikely to countenance it = The team needed to become independent of Thames Iron which it did in 1900.

All interesting stuff..................
I think we all remeber that ! :twisted:
beckton

Post by beckton »

How much did Terrence pay for the ship?
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

beckton wrote:How much did Terrence pay for the ship?
Browns boat... £225'000 rings a bell. The real ones anchored at Portsmouth. HMS Warrior, built 1860 at the ironworks, the first ironclad warship and at the time of it's launch the most formidable warship in the world.