1901/02 WHU Kit, It Was.................

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: 1901/02 WHU Kit, It Was.................

Post by -DL- »

Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, all spout on about their history.

Thames Ironworks and WHU have far more history than those clubs can ever imagine. It's not all about the football, and from our roots, you can see why this club attracts a certain type of fan.

H.M.S. Warrior? I would take that as part of our history over 50 league titles any day. Something like that must be unique in a clubs history.

WHTID.
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

Dyer's Leg wrote:Liverpool, Man Utd, Sp*rs, Arsenal, all spout on about their history.

Thames Ironworks and WHU have far more history than those clubs can ever imagine. It's not all about the football, and from our roots, you can see why this club attracts a certain type of fan.

H.M.S. Warrior? I would take that as part of our history over 50 league titles any day. Something like that must be unique in a clubs history.

WHTID.
Yep. Tottenham were a cricket club that said lets have a football team, and Chelsea were an empty stadium that they said we'd better form a football team to play in it, thrilling eh :|

On the other hand we're battleships, heavy engineering, maritime engineering, shipping lines, steam vehicles, early petrol vehicles, Barnes Wallis - There's more substance in any one of those things :crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

the old mile end is this the photo you was on about?

Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

Ironworx wrote:No, not that one Pop but I did see that one. It's of the Thames Ironworks office building.....

]http://www.antiquemapsandprints.com/sca ... 00786a.jpg

It arrived this morning Pop and it's a double sided cut down from the Paris fashion / ironworks full page print, part of whats on the reverse is a chess problem. It does look to be an original print from the Illustrated London News 1866. It will look very good framed but will need to be hung somewhere that does not get direct light..................
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ironworx wrote:Out of interest what did Di Greekio buy ?
It was supposed to be a WHU crest to hang over your front door but actually looked like it had been knocked up by an eleven year old in their first woodwork lesson. Di Greekio paid around ten pounds for it IIRC, and we all laughed our boots off.

You had to be there etc ...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ironworx wrote:Out of interest what did Di Greekio buy ?
Up the Junction wrote: It was supposed to be a WHU crest to hang over your front door but actually looked like it had been knocked up by an eleven year old in their first woodwork lesson. Di Greekio paid around ten pounds for it IIRC, and we all laughed our boots off.

You had to be there etc ...
That memory brought a wry smile to my face Guv..

Thanks for that...

:thup:

By the way FM 10 isn't half bad !!!!

:thup:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

cockney hammer wrote:the old mile end is this the photo you was on about?
Yeah. That was it CH. :thup:

I thought it looked like the building to the right of the tower in the street photo - not so sure now though, after seeing them together.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Ironworx wrote: It arrived this morning Pop and it's a double sided cut down from the Paris fashion / ironworks full page print, part of whats on the reverse is a chess problem. It does look to be an original print from the Illustrated London News 1866. It will look very good framed but will need to be hung somewhere that does not get direct light..................
That's the same as mine with the chess problem on the reverse, although mine is the full page,
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The Old Mile End wrote: Yeah. That was it CH. :thup:

I thought it looked like the building to the right of the tower in the street photo - not so sure now though, after seeing them together.
It's not the tower, looks like the house, when I finally get a new scanner I'll put a drawing on of the house I photocopied from an 1907 library book
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

Pop Robson wrote:
That's the same as mine with the chess problem on the reverse, although mine is the full page,
A number of pages from the Illustrated London News 1860 must have been found somewhere, lord knows where something like that hangs out for 149 years ! What you have is the full page, mine is a cut down page to show just the ironworks. Whatever, they do make a nice framed print - Well worth a tenner for the subject matter alone........

There's this too, also from the ILN 1860, HMS Warrior being built at the ironworks....

http://prints-4-u.com/store/images/B352 ... 878382.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That ones fourteen quid.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Somewhat down the line but I wanted to add this picture that a gentleman called James Anderson sent me. It features his great-grandfather and is thought to be pre-1900. It's not one I recall having seen previously.