Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

False Elysium

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by False Elysium »

Liamj wrote:My Pal sent an email to west ham (in response to the 10 point plan) arguing against the Olympic Stadium with a running track.

Got a quick reply from Ian Tompkins Corporate Affairs Director who gave him his phone no and asked him to call.

The fella was happy to talk about the plans and the gist of what he said was....

"At the moment it is merely an expression of interest and they would be
failing in their duty if they did not put in some application as when
will the chance ever come again?

The track is non negotiable. It is not a case of getting our foot in the
door and then getting rid of the track.

We own the land at the Boleyn and with Newham council on board the area
becomes much much attractive as an area of regeneration as the council
own large tracts of land around the stadium.

The area behind the goals will have the poorest view and accordingly
these will be the cheapest seats. The upper tier would not be used and would have screens.

There would have to be new roof to cover all seats
All seats would be replaced as current ones unsuitable.

They will look at all possible engineering solutions to not have the
running track there during match days but cannot dig down. This is not
due only to the water table which they believe they could overcome but
the cost of removing the soil which is contaminated.

Obviously they would want corporate facilities and they will draw up
designs for this.

Pointed out that this is purely an expression of interest and it may
well be that we still say no when it comes down to the cost and who
picks up the tab.

We are looking for a long lease rather than outright ownership.

The club will create a virtual view on the website should they get the
go ahead of status as preferred bidder.
They should know if they are preferred bidder between June and March.

They will be looking to engage fans through getting them to visit the
stadium and will definitely gauge opinion."

Fair play to the fella for coming back so quick and providing his number (office & mobile) to call. Hope this is a sign of things to come and that we will be listened to....whether anything comes of it is another question :)
What e-mail address did he use? ive written to the club many times on different issues using the "contact us" page on the website and never got a reply on anything
Liamj

Post by Liamj »

Try itompkins@westhamunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

everything is negotiable, just tell them we don't want it. It is a good proposal and there would be alot of pressure on the government/olympic committee to accept it, how many big athletics meets can you think of that need a stadium that size? Also a bit worried by the fact we wouldn't own a stadium.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Richard WHUFC wrote:everything is negotiable, just tell them we don't want it. It is a good proposal and there would be alot of pressure on the government/olympic committee to accept it, how many big athletics meets can you think of that need a stadium that size? Also a bit worried by the fact we wouldn't own a stadium.
The whole point is that the stadium was going to be reduced in legacy mode. It would then be a manageble capacity of 25,000. It is only recently that West Ham have shown a committed interest. No matter how much we "tell them we don't want it,(track)", they are not going to listen.

We are not the only interested party. AEG want it as well, probably expecting the NFL to award London a franchise.
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

Liamj wrote:Try itompkins@westhamunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeah that works, wrote to the guy and just like the other guy on here .. i got a reply suggesting that i call him to discuss the matter further so....

itompkins@westhamunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .. apparently that IS who we are supposed to e-mail regarding any comments about the olympic stadium ,, and he seems more than happy to take phone calls too

"Thank you for your email about the Olympic Stadium.

Will be happy to discuss this further with if you want to. Please feel free to call me on either of the numbers below.

Regards

Ian

Ian Tompkins

Corporate Affairs Director

West Ham United PLC

Boleyn Ground, Green Street

London E13 9AZ

Tel: 020 8586 8116 Mob: 07711 194390 "
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

Hammer Smith wrote:The track is non negotiable. It is not a case of getting our foot in the door and then getting rid of the track.
In that case it's time to look elsewhere then.

Almost.
If we can't have seats on all four sides running over the track (which could stay) then agreed.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

GideaParkHammer wrote:Fans of Cagliari hated the tracks so much, the club was forced to do this.
Fortunately they actually get a bit of sun down there. Athletics does tend to be a summer event although there is some crossover with the football season so I think there might be some scope for a temporary measure. It doesn't seem appealing though, as GP says we'll just end up taking a top quality facility and pikeyfying it. Unless someone can put forward an affordable and flexible solution to get seats closer to the pitch on match days I can't see it going ahead.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

QuintonNimoy wrote: Unless someone can put forward an affordable and flexible solution to get seats closer to the pitch on match days I can't see it going ahead.
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

Can someone mention how it's more cost effective to lease land and rent a stadium? Do we not own the Boleyn Ground already? Sports 'franchises' here in the States often up stakes and relocate due to them not owning the stadium and thereby not controlling more revenue. If we are already paying a higher rent at the current location then I agree that the move makes sense. But I can't get my head around how selling the current ground will do more than provide a short-term payday to the club, who will then have to cover lease fees into perpetuity.
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

Well..... ive been talking to Ian Tompkins Corporate affairs director about the Olympic stadium.... here's what he had to say...

"Thank you for your email about the Olympic Stadium.
Will be happy to discuss this further with if you want to. Please feel free to call me on either of the numbers below.

Regards

Ian

Ian Tompkins

Corporate Affairs Director

West Ham United PLC

Boleyn Ground, Green Street

London E13 9AZ"

So i wrote back, in so many words basically explaining that although West Ham fans understand.. that for the growth of the club, we would need to move forward and one day move stadium.... that the worst possible thing for the club would be to move to ANY stadium with a running track, ruining the matchday experience for the supports , and that todays "ten point" exercise clearly states that the owners have promised to listen to the fans ... so.. would they listen to the fans concern and unhappiness about moving to a stadium with a running track? "

his reply....

"Thanks for your email and I fully understand your concerns.

All we have done so far is registered our interest in the stadium. This is just the beginning of a process over the coming months in which we need to find out a lot more about the feasibility of such a move before making any final decisions. Having gained a proper understanding of what it and isn’t possible we will then present more detailed proposals to supporters. Please be assured we will listen to what people have to say and ultimately only do what is in the best interests of West Ham United.

However – and as you suggest – the Olympic Stadium represents a fantastic once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the club to grow and move to the next leveI. It is only right that we explore that further.

Please keep in touch.

Regards

Ian "

But... Im a bit confused.... doesnt the official website CLEARLY state that we have put forward a bid/proposal? isnt putting forward a bid totally different from registering an interest? as an analogy.. its a bit like saying to the press "yeah.. id be interested in owning West Ham".... instead of ACTUALLY putting in a bid for the club ... , however the official statement from the club says "we have put in a bid.. submitted a proposal.. AND it includes the running track remaining !! " thats a huge difference from just registering an interest .. no?

so ive written back to Ian on this matter.....

"Dear Ian.

Once again thank you for your swift and courteous reply.

But I must point out that what you have just told me and what appears on the clubs official site, are in a way two different comments or views on the situation...

You have commented that all the club has done is registered an interest, while the clubs official statement on this matter clearly states that not only has the club registered an interest, but has actually put forward a proposal ..

Showing an interest and putting forward a proposal are two totally different things... especially when the clubs website clearly states that it's proposal to occupy the stadium WILL include the retaining of the athletics track around the pitch.

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20100517/ ... 84_2053629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A ground-breaking proposal has been submitted on Monday to ensure that football and athletics can be the best of neighbours at the 2012 Olympic Stadium.
Newham Council and West Ham United's radical plan presented to the Olympic Park Legacy Company is to make the venue in Stratford a vibrant centre of sport, culture and education.

Open all year round, it would have an active community use, inspiring learning and achievement and helping to create a better quality of life for tens of thousands of people.

The proposal - which is backed by Essex Cricket, the University of East London (UEL) and Newham College of Further Education - is for a stadium with a capacity of up to 60,000 that would retain the competition athletics track. It will have 80,000 seats for the Games."

That pretty much suggests that not only has the club registered an interest ... but followed up an interest and submitted a detailed plan / offer which includes/retains the athletics track around the proposed playing area/pitch should West Ham United secure occupancy of the stadium .. thats practically saying "yes we want the stadium... here is our bid .. oh and yes we WILL keep the running track around the pitch when we occupy the stadium" ...

I hope i dont come across as being rude , thats certainly not my intention, but its either "we are interested and looking into it" or "we have put in a bid/proposal... and it WILL mean the running track remains" which the clubs official website most certainly seems to be suggesting or is that not the case???

So in all honesty in your opinion.. is there ANY chance of the running track being removed and the stands being close to the pitch if West Ham United become the tenants of the olympic stadium ? Or like the official statement seems to suggest.. that we have submitted our plans and the track will remain no matter what?

If all we have done is registered an interest, then perhaps the clubs statement should choose its words more carefully, cause it clearly states our proposal includes the running track remaining "

I await his reply ......
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

False Elysium wrote: But... Im a bit confused.... doesnt the official website CLEARLY state that we have put forward a bid/proposal? isnt putting forward a bid totally different from registering an interest? as an analogy.. its a bit like saying to the press "yeah.. id be interested in owning West Ham".... instead of ACTUALLY putting in a bid for the club ... , however the official statement from the club says "we have put in a bid.. submitted a proposal.. AND it includes the running track remaining !! " thats a huge difference from just registering an interest .. no?
All the club have done is register an interest http://www.legacycompany.co.uk/news/oly ... g-exercise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I signed up myself so I could see the documentation, so I'm one of the 100 that they keep mentioning.
whufc32

Post by whufc32 »

http://westhamprocess.com/2010/02/05/wh ... in-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by whufc32 on Wed May 19, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

^^^ Please tell me that's not accurate.

It's going to happen though :(
Who cares about whining fans and atmosphere when there are millions at stake.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

whufc32 that's good but the gaps at the end where the track would be should be much larger! :)
whufc32

Post by whufc32 »

ill make the image smaller it hasnt uploaded the whole thing.
whufc32

Post by whufc32 »

http://westhamprocess.com/2010/02/05/wh ... in-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

As much as I'd like to think the seats would be claret and blue. I can't see there being any indication that this stadium will have anything to do with West Ham other than we'd play there.

There'd be no images of Trevor Brooking / Bobby Moore / Billy Bonds on the wall. No large crests in the tunnel as the players walked out. No claret and blue seats. No crests on the exterior of the ground...

That's enough reason not to bloody move anyway. Let alone the distance from the pitch.
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

HammerMan2004 wrote:As much as I'd like to think the seats would be claret and blue. I can't see there being any indication that this stadium will have anything to do with West Ham other than we'd play there.

There'd be no images of Trevor Brooking / Bobby Moore / Billy Bonds on the wall. No large crests in the tunnel as the players walked out. No claret and blue seats. No crests on the exterior of the ground...

That's enough reason not to bloody move anyway. Let alone the distance from the pitch.
Why not?
whufc32

Post by whufc32 »

Actually if you read the report all the seats in the stadium would have to be replaced, theyd be as well building a new stadium!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prince_huggy wrote: Why not?
Dunno. Just assuming.