Don't sack Zola

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Re: Don't sack Zola

Post by Chuck D »

Pm, why is it the same? Take a look at the league standings after 20 games, and you will note that we are two places different. That's why I said they have been much the same.

What's difficult to understand about that?

If I wanted to spin it positively, I'd mention the Spurs game and the demolition of Man United, coupled with being one tie from wembley. I'm not though.

And why is it - seemingly - impossible for you to get your head round the idea that more should be expected of a manager who has been at the club two years and had the players for training each day for that time, than one who arrived five months ago?

If you managed people, would you expect to know more about what makes them tick after six months, or two years?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote: And Bubbles, you've extracted my response to Chuck's about Collins (whom I'd not previously mentioned, but who of course is under performing to your and his utter ignorance this season) without any context at all.

Face it both of you; we fired a novice who came unstuck - at no little expense - and recruited someone of no real or obvious superiority.
You seem to have given up on your "one window each" distinction and are getting increasingly ratty about the subject :lol:

Yep, Zola was cack. Grant may turn out to be cack.

How about we let events unfold and afford the bloke a little bit of time and opportunity?

After 19 games, many people on here thought Scott Parker was cack.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Chuck, I don't think any of those 'equations' as you put were the work of a genius. Look forward to your answers now.

Also, and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong here, but Diamanti's 8 goals in 21 starts is equal to Bellars 9 goals in 22 starts is it not? (btw it was 4 penalties not 5) or are you saying penalties don't count as goals now?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Chuck D wrote:If you managed people, would you expect to know more about what makes them tick after six months, or two years?
Assuming this is a serious question, I do manage people and as an experienced manager if I don't know what makes them tick after 6 weeks I reckon I am failing in my job, so after 6 months I should know what time they have a **** in the morning and how many times they've shagged their partner this year.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... 2009-12-28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the table from last year at today.

If you can't see the similarity, I'm surprised, for sure.

HD, you still haven't answered have you?

Yes, penalties count, but unless Bellamy took five (or however many Diamanti took - not scored) pens, your statistical analysis is inaccurate.

But that's the tip of the iceberg if you seriously wish to compare their effectiveness as premiership players.

Ask any sane person which one they would have. Ask yourself even. Go on, I dare you.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Hd

So Alex Ferguson was "failing in his job" when he hadn't got it right at Man United after six weeks? If I ever meet another football manager I will ask them their view on that.

There is no increase in the knowledge of your staff after six weeks?

They should make an Open University programme about this site considering the things that can be learned here.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Chuck D wrote:HD, you still haven't answered have you?
Chuck D wrote:Smple question to you, was letting Neill walk, and then giving the wages you refused him to Jiminez a good deal?

Or selling Collins to fund Diamanti?

Giving Bowyer a free, then PAYING for Kovac - who has been awful?

Selling Etherinton for £3 mil, then buying Savio for more?

Out of those four equations, which one was a work of genius that deserves my respect?
hammerrdivone wrote:Chuck, I don't think any of those 'equations' as you put were the work of a genius
How is this not an answer? But like I said before these weren't decisions made by Zola.
Chuck D wrote:Yes, penalties count, but unless Bellamy took five (or however many Diamanti took - not scored) pens, your statistical analysis is inaccurate.

So penalties count, but not really in your eyes. Factually I am correct. Bellamy scored 9, Diamanti scored 8 Statistically I am correct.

As for the manager issue, most managers do some research first, then they'll interview the candidate a couple of times, then when they start they keep a close eye on the newcomer. Likewise a new manager starting will 'test' his team, see how the work together and use different exercises to what works and what doesn't. They will know early on who is supportive, who is maverick, who doesn't want to be there.

If after 5 months that manager still doesn't know what makes his team tick, what works and what doesn't and by this I assume you mean Grant doesn't, then I am even more concerned about our future than I was before.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

So anyone who hasn't got the best out of their team in six months is a poor manager?

And Zola didn't have any say in any players joining or leaving?

****ing hell.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Chuck D wrote:So anyone who hasn't got the best out of their team in six months is a poor manager?

f***ing hell.
now now, he said knew him as an individual after six months he never mentioned getting the best out of him, either as an an individual or a team member which rather negates your enormous jump of going from knowing an individual to getting the best out of a team being an even remorely sustainable
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

hammerdivone wrote:Factually I am correct. Bellamy scored 9, Diamanti scored 8 Statistically I am correct.
It's not really a point worth being correct on though is it given the obvious failure of the stat to accurately reflect their contribution to the team? Unless winding Chuck up is the point.... which it could well be.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

I'm sure I mentioned at the time when Zola was letting himself run away with Duckers vision over burgers that we could sell anyone of note and replace them with cheap "undisclosed fee" crap that Nani's pop-in-law had available, that he was allowing his fledgling managerial career to be thrown down the shitter...................................has he had a sniff of a job since? :think:

I'n not saying that Duckers didn't have his reasons......but Zola allowed himself to be well and truly shafted.

Still, the pay rise and eventaul pay off must have been nice.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Chuck is still handing out an absolute merking in this thread :lol:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

HD

By your reckoning and judgement of Diamanti/Bellamy, Ray Stewart is a better striker than most of the strikers we've ever had at the club, just cos he scored some penalties.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

You can always spot a good Manager by how quickly he gets another job in the top flight after leaving a club .

Zola will get another job soon .

As soon as Curbishley has got one .........