Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Stepney

Re: Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

Post by Stepney »

My uncle told me once that supposesly the three mentioned players did this thing in training one day just for show whereby one of them was on the touchline, one was in the middle of the pitch and the other was on the other touchline and they supposedly ran the length of the pitch at the same speed and they passed the ball to each other whilst running and they managed to do a full length of the pitch without the ball touching the ground! I was only 8 years old when he told me this story and I suspect its utter bo@locks but I would love to know if any of you older fans could confirm whether you also heard about this!...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Moore? Run? :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Stepney wrote:My uncle told me once that supposesly the three mentioned players did this thing in training one day just for show whereby one of them was on the touchline, one was in the middle of the pitch and the other was on the other touchline and they supposedly ran the length of the pitch at the same speed and they passed the ball to each other whilst running and they managed to do a full length of the pitch without the ball touching the ground! I was only 8 years old when he told me this story and I suspect its utter bo@locks but I would love to know if any of you older fans could confirm whether you also heard about this!...
Never heard that story before, but come on, wonderful players though they all were, they were not supermen
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

the oldham stripper wrote:one of my greatest ever hammers memories is the 1st game of the 1966 season, before the game started sir Bobby, sir Geoffrey & sir Martin were presented to the crowd as the world cup winning trio with the world cup, i can remember as an 11 year old unashamedly crying my eyes out with pride & when i looked round my old dad was in tears too along with about 30,000 other people.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/footb ... the-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this works
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Looked great! but Bobby Moore wearing the number 5 shirt? I wouldn't have believed it :shock:
V9 WHU

Post by V9 WHU »

west ham v newcastle 1969 my first game, hurst, moore & peters
GJE

Post by GJE »

First started going with my Dad in 1962 and pretty much went every week 1st team and reserves.

I saw Hurst Moore & Peters many times

Mooro was my hero, was then will be forever

Many years later can remember some jerk trying to tell me Bobby Moore couldnt pass the ball

Apopleptic to say the least I explained to him that for a bloke who couldnt pass the ball he managed to drop the ball on Geoff Hurst's chest at regular intervals from 30-40 yards away with deadly accuracy.

Had he of said he didn't have a lot of pace I might have agreed, might! He was always three steps ahead of everybody else having read the game like a book.

Mooro RIP, A great England and West Ham Captain that we are never likely to see the like of again.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Yes - got a few programmes with all 3 autographs on each as well 8-)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Yes but was on my Dad's shoulders so have no real memory of it.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

My first game as a nipper was Xmas 1966. My grandfather and uncles took me to watch us beat Blackpool 4-0. Peters, Hurst & Moore all scored, Johnny Byrne got the other.
Hooked for life
:crest:
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

yeh i had the privilidge of seeing them play. super players all three but bobby moore was a realy very special player.without doubt the best defender i have seen and i have seen some gooduns :crest:
Watford Hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Watford Hammer »

I saw Moore and Hurst regularly but just missed out on seeing Peters in claret and blue. My first game was supposed to be v Nottm Forest on Boxing Day 1970. My mates dad took us but when we got to the tube station at Queensbury, chalked on the blackboard it said that the West Ham game was off. As Highbury was the only ground at the time with undersoil heating we went to see Arsenal v Southampton. I don't remember the game other than it was 0-0. My mate and I decided though that we wanted to go to see the Hammers and we went on our own a few weeks later to see us lose 2-3 to Leeds. That didn't deter us and we went to the next home game where we lost to Derby County 1-4. The first poiint I saw us earn was 0-0 v Manchester City. I missed a midweek win as it was too late on a school night and I also remember not going to see us beat Manchester United as I thought there might be a bit of trouble at the game. It wasn't until April 1971, that I finally saw us win and get 2 points with a 1-0 win against Stoke. Happy Days!
West Ham Dave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by West Ham Dave »

I’m one of those who were fortunate enough to be going during what was probably our greatest era, so have seen all the “named” players so far mentioned on numerous occasions.
I was also at Wembley in ’66, and will never forget walking back up Wembley Way, with what seemed like everyone singing Bubbles inter spaced with a rounding chorus of “We Won the Cup”, We Won the Cup, Ey Ay Adio West Ham Won the Cup” great times, sadly very unlikely to ever be repeated.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Wonder if there are a few rose tinted glasses here. All three could be outstanding but ultimately, given their talent, they disappointed. My first three games were in 67 - Fulham home (6-1), Spuds away (4-3 to us) and Leeds home, League Cup (7-0) - and never mind the Eintracht Frankfurt game, many in the press compared us to Real Madrid that night. Leeds were a top top side, utterly dismantled. But that same season we lost to Leeds in the League at home (0-1) and got wallopped, again at home, by Manchester Utd (1-6). Those results sum WHU up in that post 66 era - flattering to deceive and ending up mid- lower mid table. Given that the support cast included the likes of Johnny Sissons, Peter Braebrook and Johnny Byrne, we really should have done better.

So yeah Moore could be imperious, Hurst regularly got 40 goals a season and Peters WAS 10 years ahead of his time. But post 66 we won nothing, and it wasn't till we'd moved beyond the three of them that we again won anything - with, of course Moore wierdly playing for Fulham against us in the Cup Final
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

I saw them play - I remember Jim Standen in goal, Ronny Boyce, Eddie Bovington, Budgie Byrne, Johnny Sissons, John Charles, Peter Brabrook, Ken Brown, Burnett and Burkett - even Harry Redknapp in his early days, they'd pass the ball to him and he'd go off like a scalded cat - if anyone came in to tackle he'd jump about 10 feet in the air!

At the game last week I was trying to remember if I'd seen John Bond play - I think I just missed him.

Blimey, I must be old!!
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

That 1966 match on Pathe ... the first after the World Cup .... anyone remember for whom they wore black armbands? Just curious . . .
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Puff Daddy wrote: Never heard that story before, but come on, wonderful players though they all were, they were not supermen
I hear what you're saying Puff. It does sound rediculous! Do you think any 3 players in the World right now could pull that off? What about Messi, Ronaldo and Christian Daily?! :D
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

Bonzos4Lagers wrote:That 1966 match on Pathe ... the first after the World Cup .... anyone remember for whom they wore black armbands? Just curious . . .

i'm not 100% sure but i think it might have been for winston churchill
Hainault Hammer

Post by Hainault Hammer »

Bonzos4Lagers wrote:That 1966 match on Pathe ... the first after the World Cup .... anyone remember for whom they wore black armbands? Just curious . . .
Pretty sure it was for Bill Jenkins the trainer.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Yes i saw all 3 play for us. My first game was around 1967 although i can't remember who against! Also score a hatrick for England against France at Wembley in 1969.