Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

Post by claret parrot »

Many times. I'll never forget how totally gutted I felt when I heard we were selling Peters to the filth. I don't know whether at that time I realized he was over the hill but I do recall being in no way placated by hearing that we were getting Greaves in return. I could be wrong but I think that was the first time I ever felt really disappointed and let down by West Ham (even though now I realize there wasn't much they could have done about it)

I also remember seeing the debut of this young kid; Trevor something or other. Yes, Brooking, that was it :)
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Yes many times as an early teenager, I ran Martin's Fan Club for three years, just in senior school and from the North West, never forget him taking me in the changing room one night game at Burnley to meet and talk with Bobby and Geoff straight after the game, my brother was 12 years older and had great patience as he did not like football, but took me to so many home and away games, often he would have a sleep in the car while I watched the game!
Watford Hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Watford Hammer »

I remember my older brother who at the time followed Spuds coming into my bedroom one Saturday morning whilst I was in bed reading my newly delivered Shoot! magazine. I was 10 years old and he reeled me in by telling me that West ham had signed Jimmy Greaves. I was really pleased and it was only then he had great delight in teling me that Martin Peters had gone in the opposite direction. I know I was really upset and shed a tear or two that morning.
Before you ask my borther was never that interested in football, he has subsequently followed Fulham and Wimbledon and I not even sure if he follows (I use that rterm loosely) a team at all now.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

I was lucky enough to see all three play in my first ever game , a 1-3 reverse at the Boleyn to West Brom.

Moore was always my hero as a young kid, though once he left Sir Trev inherited the mantle through my teenage years.

Will never forget that first game (even though we lost), seeing the pitch at the Boleyn for the first time and those fantastic cotton claret and blue shirts untainted by slogans and various other 'decorations'
hxamma

Post by hxamma »

Every cloud has a silver lining… Getting old is no fun, but what it does mean is that I was around as a 16-17 year old to see them all playing. Great days!

Moore and Hurst are etched indelibly into England’s football history with their achievements, but Martin Peters stands out for me as the top man. He defined the word ‘versatile’, playing in every position for the club. But more importantly, he was instrumental in developing the style which eventually took us on to World Cup success.

When he arrived on the scene as a skinny, lanky young kid, he wore the number 4 (right half) on his back. In those days that meant he played ahead of the number 2 (right back), just behind the numbers 8 (Inside right) and 7 (right winger). But it wasn’t long before Peters started his ‘blind side’ runs outside the left winger to provide Hurst with those near post crosses. It was new to the game and finally laid low the significance of shirt numbers for anything other than player identification.

He had everything, total control with either foot, superb in the air, instinctively knowing where to be and an unerring eye for goal.

I’m pretty sure it was Alf Ramsey who said Peters was 10 years ahead of his time and Allison, as an ITV pundit, who derided it after a lacklustre England display. Ramsey was right. Peters would have moved seamlessly into the great Dutch ‘total football’ team of the 70-80s.

Some great tributes to some great players on this thread, but I also think all three of them would pay their own tribute to Ronnie ‘Ticker’ Boyce whose tireless control of midfield made it all possible. Johnny Byrne’s right up there as well.

I got really exited a few years ago when I saw a youngster emerge who I thought could develop into the next Martin Peters… but Michael Carrick’s development never quite took him into the same areas.
:crest:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

saw bobby moore play although i cannot remember it ,, was lucky enough to see brooking play for many years , but the 1 player who i saw who i thought was really a cut above the rest was stewart robson when he made his debut for us

i thought he was utter class .
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

It's a double edged sword really..

If you saw any of them play, you do indeed feel very privileged..........but you are also most likely to be closer to death than those who are much younger and didn't have the pleasure......

....:lol:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Ah, terraces, Bovril, muddy pitches and proper football. I remember it well, albeit probably through rose tinted spectacles.
robertdemooro

Post by robertdemooro »

Westham United v Ipswich Town March 69 my debut and saw them at Chadwell Heath from my Grandad's
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Not all three, my first game was v Hull in the League Cup Sept 1970. James Greaves esq was at the club by then, Martin had left. Billy Bonds and Harry Redknapp played, as did Clyde Best. Hurst put himself about manfully but we struggled. Not a classic but it was under flood lights and I still get that same thrill going to the Boleyn at night as I did that first time.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

claret parrot wrote:I also remember seeing the debut of this young kid; Trevor something or other. Yes, Brooking, that was it :)
Interesting fact about Brooking's debut (a draw at Burnley on 29th August 1967); the game finished 3-3 and our goalscorers on the day? Moore, Hurst and Peters...
The Old Man of Storr wrote:My first game was Man Utd v West Ham in 1969 . I remember seeing Hurst and Clyde Best , Moore would have been there as well as Peters but I would have to check an old programme for the original line up as I honestly can't remember.
27th September 1969: Man Utd 5-2 West Ham Utd ... we lined up Ferguson, Bonds, Lampard, Howe, Stephenson, Moore, Lindsay, Redknapp, Peters, Best, Hurst (who scored both our goals).
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I was lucky enough to see all three play on many occasions. Saw some wonderful football but typical West Ham some terrible defeats with comical defending.

Was too young at the time to really appreciate BM and MP. .Hurst was the star to me because of the goals for us and England.

My appreciation for BM has grown as I have read and leart more about the man and player.

I had several programmes signed by all three. Made one of the biggest mistakes of my life giving them to my ex-wife's younger brothers to take to their school for a project on the England Football team.

They had strict instructions to show them and not leave them hanging around anywhere. You guessed it they went missing never to be seen again :evil:
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

My first game was in April 1967, West Ham against Burnley. The Hammers won 3-2 with Hurst, Moore, and Peters all playing. My favourite player in those days was John Sissons who scored that day along with 2 by Peters, the winner coming on a header late in the game.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Saw all 3 play. Also see them train over at Chadwell Heath on many occasion.

No restrictions on getting in the training ground in them days.
Express Pete

Post by Express Pete »

I was fortunate to see our greatest trio in October 1968 when we slaughtered Sunderland 8-0 - it was my first ever game and at eleven years old I thought it was always going to be like that! It wasn't until a couple of years later that apart from the keeper (bobby ferguson),I realised the rest of the side were all English. Happy days.
Last edited by Express Pete on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fortunes always

Post by Fortunes always »

I was lucky enough to see all three on the first time i ever went to West Ham - 1970 V Sheff Wed & a nice 3 - 0 win to boot.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

davids cross wrote:It's a double edged sword really..

If you saw any of them play, you do indeed feel very privileged..........but you are also most likely to be closer to death than those who are much younger and didn't have the pleasure......

....:lol:
A sobering thought dc.

I was lucky enough to see Mooro play for us but alas neither Hurst or Peters. Although I did see Peters play against us for both the filth & Norwich.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

[quote="MS in the West"]Wonder if there are a few rose tinted glasses here. All three could be outstanding but ultimately, given their talent, they disappointed. My first three games were in 67 - Fulham home (6-1), Spuds away (4-3 to us) and Leeds home, League Cup (7-0) - and never mind the Eintracht Frankfurt game,

The Spuds and Leeds Games were November '66. Sorry to be a geek but my dad died on the day we beat Spurs and the last time I saw him was the evening after the Leeds game....

Gawd, I'll start crying in a minute....
rainman61

Post by rainman61 »

6 Feb 1971, my mate's birthday treat & he chose me to go with him v Derby County. Like others have mentione, Martin had gone to spuds the year before, but saw him play against us a few times later.
Geoff played & Mooro came on as sub. The team that day also contained Brooking, Bonds, Lampard snr & Redknapp, as well as a young John McDowell & Tommy Taylor. We lost 1-4 & I have been going back for more ever since :D
hammerinspain

Post by hammerinspain »

Yup first game in 68 sat in the West Stand and thereafter stood in the south bank great days but you only realise how great they were when they are gone