Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stickycotteepudding
Has liked: 3 likes

Re: January 2013: Where to Strengthen?

Post by stickycotteepudding »

What about a biggish offer on Steve Mandanda at Marseille? They have massive money trouble and GK's generally don't go for huge money?

Maybe a little unrealistic but if we are in mid table come Jan then why not!

Bar that a upgrade on left back and right back would be ideal.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

other than bubbles comment any more thoughts on potential outs leading to strengthening required?

wouldn't surprise me to see cole offered around for yet another window. have seen a few times that we'll not stand in o'neil's way to move on to first team football. can't see jack going anywhere with his current injuries. matt taylor seems to be involved enough that we wouldn't let him go

vaz te and tomkins allegedly had interest in the summer and are in and around the first team rather than nailed on first teamers....wouldn't like to see either go but could see interest there

any big 4/5/6 to come in for Reid or Noble?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

westhamirish wrote:Victor Wanyama from Celtic. :thup:
Celtic got 6 Million for their 5th choice midfielder this summer, they wouldn't sell this fella for anything less than 20 by all accounts.

As much as I dislike the club their transfer policy is brilliant, make one hell of a profit on players.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

full backs......for a change

but personally I'd save the money for the summer and not upset the team harmony
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Gold and Sullivan are notorious fans of the loan market so I can see a couple of six month loans in January.

Cole is out of contract in the summer and from how he's looked this season I don't see us extending his stay, if he's willing to take a 50% pay cut then fair enough but apart from a good game against Villa on the opening day he has been very quiet. I can see us going for a younger target man to replace him as back up. N'Gog at Bolton is still young and would be okay if cheap enough.

I saw Diarra play in the cup against Crewe and he looked terrible, never a traditional West Ham midfielder in a million years. He was like a black Radoslav Kovac, absolute clogger of a player. What with his constant change of clubs I'd look to off load him back to France.

We need two new full backs as Demel is out of contract in 2013 and has been unreliable since day one, I'm a fan of McCartney and he was important to keep in terms of a settled back four but we can do better.

Relegated clubs often look to reduce their wage bill in January if they aren't anywhere near the top 6 - I'd go for Lee Chung-Yong at Bolton who is a lovely little player and would do really well for us.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

westhamirish wrote:Victor Wanyama from Celtic. :
Roby wrote:We were linked with him in the summer and a lot of people on here turned their noses up at the idea.
Yeah but he plays in the SPL so he will obviously be sh*t ! (or so the general story goes !) :D

Out of last night's team I like Matthews, Mulgrew, Forster and Wilson as well as Wanyama. Not to mention Hooper and Forrest the winger. I have thought for a long time that Celtic's scouts definitely have an eye for talent
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Roby wrote: Lee Chung-Yong at Bolton who is a lovely little player and would do really well for us.
:thup: very good shout, youngerer yossi esque
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Roby wrote:Gold and Sullivan are notorious fans of the loan market so I can see a couple of six month loans in January.

Cole is out of contract in the summer and from how he's looked this season I don't see us extending his stay, if he's willing to take a 50% pay cut then fair enough but apart from a good game against Villa on the opening day he has been very quiet. I can see us going for a younger target man to replace him as back up. N'Gog at Bolton is still young and would be okay if cheap enough.

I saw Diarra play in the cup against Crewe and he looked terrible, never a traditional West Ham midfielder in a million years. He was like a black Radoslav Kovac, absolute clogger of a player. What with his constant change of clubs I'd look to off load him back to France.

We need two new full backs as Demel is out of contract in 2013 and has been unreliable since day one, I'm a fan of McCartney and he was important to keep in terms of a settled back four but we can do better.

Relegated clubs often look to reduce their wage bill in January if they aren't anywhere near the top 6 - I'd go for Lee Chung-Yong at Bolton who is a lovely little player and would do really well for us.
he wasnt THAT bad.. he played ok. However you could tell he didnt give a rats about the game.. i.e he has come to play in the league not some cup game
carugohammers

Post by carugohammers »

a goalkeeper and a defender ... jussi not safe, and we would need a quarterback
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Does anyone know who is out of contract this season?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

January 2013: Where to Strengthen

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I predict a massive bid for Chris Samba :thup:
mcinerney7

Post by mcinerney7 »

matthew bates
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Left and right back, Goalkeeper and striker.

We have a long season and given our recent spate of injuries, we could struggle in these positions.

O'brien, Linda and Demel have all shown themselves to be fragile, and Taylor and Tomkins don't look anything like being able to cover the positions at this level.

Jussi frightens the life out of me at times and we could do with some strength in depth up front, given that Maiga still coming to terms with the pace of the game and the possibility of both AC and CC being let go, it would leave us light on experience.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Don't expect too much this window, except maybe sign Benayoun & loan cover at LB.

Would wait until end of the season and then go out and buy a top quality keeper.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

New keeper
2 new defenders (at least 1 CB and an RB)
Yossi signed up
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I think there maybe be a panic buy for CC alright.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Full backs, Keeper, and Striker .... additional cover for centre halves.

You dont get vaule for money in the January sales so maybe loan deals will be on the cards. Personally like to see the kids get blooded through as the season enters the last third.

Its all about consolidation, we wont go down so it would make more financial sense to lay out on perm signings next summer.

That said, with the OS being delayed by 4years I'm not sure the board will spend big , you can forget about Caroll signing for 17ml, whatever they say we just wouldnt lay out that cash and to be honest, as much as I like the fella - he aint worth that.

As for signing Yossi?? hes 32 .... good for this season but then its got be cheerio.

We're in a safe position and with the new TV deal kicking in next season that is all that matters .....
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Can we actually sign any more players on loan, or have we got the quota filled already with Yossi and Carroll? Can't remember the rules.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think we have a fairly strong team. I was thinking a striker but Maiga looks a cracking player, he just needs his chance. He could be deadly upfront with Carroll.

I suppose if there is money to spend i would bring in a left back and maybe another winger to push Vaz Te a bit. Im quite happy though and we still have Alou Diarra to come into the side who will be a big addition for us!

Goalkeeper will need changing but i think Jussi is ok for this season personally.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Carrol made perm
couple of midfielders, winger or three
few full backs, centre half might be handy and a keeper and a new tea lady as the one we have is out of contract in the summer.

in all seriousness (yes sign AC on perm) folks, alot will depend on where we are in the leauge, if we are pushing for a top half / europa finish then it means a few loans and then see what the summer brings in terms of permenant deals. same if we are fighting a relegation battle, no point signing people only to be selling them later on that year.

would love to see the likes of Zaha and some younger british players comming to us

can only see loans unless the rumoured investors appear and we go mental in the sales