So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: So, G&S, what are these exciting stadium plans of yours?

Post by Heysel76 »

There are always some empty seats, as some STH or people with tickets have been unable to attend, despite paying....i've done it myself more than once!
Have you tried buying even 1 extra ticket online for these sell out matches? I have & believe me, you will struggle to find them.
But none of that is important, as surplus capacity is handy to take up growth in demand in years to come.

PS: Despite my earlier vote, i'm very much back in the "Undecided" camp
beckton

Post by beckton »

Denbighammer wrote: 500-1000 is clearly an estimation. I don't see how the testimony of people who were there and what I've seen with my own eyes is 'flmisy evidence'. I was merely adding the 2-400 that my old man can definately see in the West Upper with the numerous empties I can see in the lower tiers of the East and BML.

I've learned today that you came to what you now call an 'estimation', from you watching on tv and second-hand from your dad. Yep I call that very flimsy evidence when you're making accusations and suggesting conspiracies.

You do understand if a seat is empty it doesn't mean it's unsold?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

beckton wrote:if a seat is empty it doesn't mean it's unsold?
True, all clubs count tickets sold (including ST) not how many went through the turnstiles. There are always some ticket holders that don't make it, wither planned or unplanned. Plus there are some seats that cannot be sold, such as between home and away supporters. Mind you I have seen with my own eyes (actually from within the ground, not on tv) groups of seats that do not seem to be occupied all game. To the point that it has been commented on "I thought this game was sold out?". I can't believe the club missed the chance to sell these seats so they must have been sold.

However, Sullivan is indulging in a bit of spin as those sold out games have been achieved through offers and selling at lower than "standard" prices. I'm not knocking him for it, surely better to fill the ground and hope to pick up extra from other sales (like drinks and visits to the club shop). Like others I suspect part of the reason is to show people that we need a bigger ground and stand a chance of filling a good percentage of seats in the O/S.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

The QPR home game on 19th Jan has SOLD OUT despite Band 1 Adult tickets charged at £55 each!!!

We need a bigger ground with decent transport links a.s.a.p. so the club can offer more tickets in the lower Band pricing range.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote: 500-1000 is clearly an estimation. I don't see how the testimony of people who were there and what I've seen with my own eyes is 'flmisy evidence'. I was merely adding the 2-400 that my old man can definately see in the West Upper with the numerous empties I can see in the lower tiers of the East and BML.
beckton wrote: I've learned today that you came to what you now call an 'estimation', from you watching on tv and second-hand from your dad. Yep I call that very flimsy evidence when you're making accusations and suggesting conspiracies.
You do understand if a seat is empty it doesn't mean it's unsold?
:lol: Of course I call it an estimation. Neither I not my dad went round counting them all! How else would I estimate the numbers? How would you estimate the numbers of empty seats? At no stage have I said "there are categorically 500 empty seats every game".

The spin being put out by the club is that we have a huge number of fans, all willing to pay top dollar, beating down the door to watch matches. This is clearly not the case as they struggle to sell out games even with half price offers and KFaQ discounts.

Why on the official site does it say "attendance" when that clearly isn't what it is, its the number of seats (apparantly) sold.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Denbighammer wrote:
The spin being put out by the club is that we have a huge number of fans, all willing to pay top dollar

:eh:

Where / when have they said that??
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

WestHamIFC wrote:The QPR home game on 19th Jan has SOLD OUT despite Band 1 Adult tickets charged at £55 each!!!

We need a bigger ground with decent transport links a.s.a.p. so the club can offer more tickets in the lower Band pricing range.
Sold out with half price tickets to members and Free tickets to youth members.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Denbighammer wrote: Of course I call it an estimation. Neither I not my dad went round counting them all! How else would I estimate the numbers? How would you estimate the numbers of empty seats? At no stage have I said "there are categorically 500 empty seats every game".
Where did I say it wasn't an estimation? I was querying the process you used and the conclusion you came to.

You sitting at home watching on the tele and your dad at the game giving you a figure.
And then you coming up with an average 500-1000 empty seats for games that are sold out.
And so proving at least in your mind they weren't sold out.

True, your exact words weren't 500 every game what you actually said was '500-1000 empty seats per match'. I added the bold but your words so I guess you've forgotten what you said. :wink:
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

beckton wrote: Where did I say it wasn't an estimation? I was querying the process you used and the conclusion you came to.

You sitting at home watching on the tele and your dad at the game giving you a figure.
And then you coming up with an average 500-1000 empty seats for games that are sold out.
And so proving at least in your mind they weren't sold out.
The process is I used is the same as anyone would use. Its the same process that numerous members on here have made about the attendance figures published by Arsenal when there are clearly plenty of empty seats.

The club should not claim 35,005 (the only number the seem able to think of) as an 'attendance' but maybe call it something else like 'tickets sold', even then it seems odd that this is the exact number in each of our last four matches. The original point i was trying to make still stands; repeatedly telling the press that we are selling out every game, without mentioning giving tickets away to youth members, half-price deals for club members and kids for a quid deals is misleading.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

35.005 is probably the maximum number of tickets we are allowed to sell/give away at the Boleyn. So if that is reached for several games in a row I'd say it isn't a coincidence, but simply a sign of the fact that the maximum number of tickets were shifted for those games.

Besides, whenever Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool sell out, do we simply believe that all of those are season tickets or tickets fully paid for ? I presume other clubs sell tickets at reduced prices as well or even give some away from free. It's amazing how anti-OS'ers are trying to use every reason possible not to move there.

Has it ever occurred to other posters that once we are in the OS people may actually turn out to like it ?
And some might even be happy to watch the Hammers there as opposed to at Upton Park (transport, amenities, food etc.). My point is: Some people who are dead against moving may never want to set foot inside the OS. Others may come to watch West Ham more regularly once we are in the OS.

We still might have empty seats for certain games in the OS, but this should make people feel very much at home then as the Boleyn apparently has loads of empty seats for every home game as it is now...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

What the f*** has any of this got to do with plans
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

We have gone a little off track in discussing the plans and what we want to see at the Olympic Stadium.

Somehow we have now latched onto the club selling out all tickets for the last several games and somehow finding that to be a negative point. :)

I would like to echo the sentiments of others on here that have suggested that if we are shifting tickets and selling out games (by whatever means are necessary) then it is time for us to look at a bigger stadium.

We know that a new East Stand is not financially viable to the current board or the c;lub in the short term so it wont happen.

So as it stands we await the plans and the debate about the gap between the lower and upper tiers that will ensue. Did I hear we may hear something next week about the plans??
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

We know that a new East Stand is not financially viable to the current board or the c;lub in the short term so it wont happen.

How do we know a new East Stand is not financially viable? All we do know is the owners haven't considered that as an option as they have spent the last 3 years pursuing the OS as the the only option. If the OS doesn't happen then the owners will have to make a new East Stand viable. Surely the £15 - £20m down payment needed for the OS would be used to pay for a New East stand?

Personally I think a completed BG with 40,000 irons in it would be awesome.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Gold and Sullivan have said numerous times redeveloping the East Stand isn't financially viable. I don't even understand why it keeps getting discussed on here. It'll never happen.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Gold and Sullivan have said numerous times redeveloping the East Stand isn't financially viable. I don't even understand why it keeps getting discussed on here. It'll never happen.
They may change their mind, they did over the OS. When they first bought the club Sullivan said yes they wanted the stadium but not with a running track as football and running tracks don't work.
You never know.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

WestHamIFC wrote:The QPR home game on 19th Jan has SOLD OUT despite Band 1 Adult tickets charged at £55 each!!!
That , however, doesn't mean everyone has paid £55 for a band one seat .

Kids, unwashed students, coffin dodgers .......loads of them occupying Band 1 seats at knock down rates .

Hope they are enjoying the view while they can.......
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

Official site not saying QPR sold out.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Denbighammer wrote:Official site not saying QPR sold out.
Really?:

http://www.whufcboxoffice.com/events.aspx?section=eve
Denbighammer

Post by Denbighammer »

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120601/ ... 96_2972277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says different. One of them is wrong. Usual shambles.
buffybegood

Post by buffybegood »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Gold and Sullivan have said numerous times redeveloping the East Stand isn't financially viable. I don't even understand why it keeps getting discussed on here. It'll never happen.
Really can't see why it isn't financially viable, an extra 5,000 seats for 20 home games at £30 a pop is £3m a year. If a new stand was built there would undoubtedly be some hospitality boxes (significantly increasing revenue), plus with match day spend on programmes, drinks etc so I don't think £30 a head is unreasonable, and with guestimates here of between £20m and £30m for a new stand, it will pay for itself in a short space of time, even with losing £3m in revenue for a season to build it (based on the same £30 a head for the current 5,000 in the East Stand).

The figures certainly add up a lot better long term for the club than going to the OS, which is all about raising the profile of the club so G&S can flog it off quick before everyone realises how bad the viewing experience is there and stops going.