Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by Doc H Ball »

indiehammer wrote: There is absolutely nothing in that.

He listed our midfielders who are currently able to play and explained why we dont need to sign Beckham because even without Diame, we have a healthy number.
Nope I make 1959 right.

He didn't list currently fit players and anyway Diame's nearly back.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

so Diame, Reid, Tomkins and Maiga are off....

we should go back to being crap - no one tried to pinch our players in the transfer windows under zola and grant

:wink:
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Coledinho wrote:
If Tomkins goes IMO Jonas Olsson has to come in.
I've seen Jonass Olsson mentioned a few times and he is an excellent player but why would West Brom sell him? They have him on a contract until 2016 and he is essential to their defence.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

I note that Sunderland seem to be close to signing Kader Mangane who failed a medical with us in the summer. Not in time for todays game though.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

[quote=]if you took pique out of that barca style possession football and into a team with a flat back line that plays in the EPL he'd be getting trounced on every week..[/quote]

He won the Champions League with Man Utd.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Suggesting Tomkins didn't celebrate our goals against Man United is wide of the mark. On both occasions, he is past Collins when the latter heads the ball and then moves back across to join in the celebrations.

That's not to say that the board wouldn't listen to an offer for him, but the discussion has touched on the idea that Tomkins somehow is unhappy with life at the Boleyn.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I wonder if JT has a release clause in his contract ?

Just asking ........
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:I wonder if JT has a release clause in his contract ?

Just asking ........

Every player has one, it's called "silly money " :wink:
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Coledinho wrote:Pique is the most overrated piece of poo in football. The guy has to make like 1 clearance a game and all of a sudden he is a defensive god. He doesnt actually do anything, nor does any Barcelona defender. The truly great defenders in world football are the likes of Thiago Silva. those who defend and dont rely on there team having 80% possession to do so.

So Pique is overrated because he plays in a good team??OK.Possibly the strangest thing I have heard today.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

MS in the West wrote:I must say the 'Tomkins was at fault for the Van Persie goal' lobby bemuses me. Indeed I think that in itself is a good reason for discounting any opinion on other matters of football.

Sometimes a truly great goal is scored. Van Persie's was one. I'll tell you who might have successfully defended against that goal. Bobby Moore.

Tomkins is not as good as Moore shock. Well I think we can all go with that.
Nonsense. I admit that the goal was class but I would have backed either Collins or Reid to have stopped it one way or another.

I like Tomkins. I liked him when I first saw him come on at a pre-season friendly as a 16 or 17 year old (I think he was) at Gillingham 7 or 8 years ago. I was blown away by his calmness and ability that made me think we might have another Bobby Moore in the pipeline.

I now see that Bobby Moore style calmness as lacking a bit of passion as he too frequently allows forwards to go past him. Perhaps that's what BFS sees (or rather doesn't see!) as well. He is talented without any doubt. The big difference between Tomkins and both Reid and Collins is that the latter 2 have a "they will not pass" attitude. Tomkins doesn't have that yet...

So yes a terrific goal but it still should have been defended.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

The thing is, we've brought in a lot of players, once that LB signs we don't have any space on 25-man lists. That's not a problem but with heavyweights like Carroll, Nolan and a few others, youngsters who earn above average Reserves salaries (Potts, Spence, Hall, Morrison, ...) our budget is just too heavy right now.

I'd be really surprised not to see anybody leaving in this window. But I'd be even more surprised if we let Tomkins leave on a fee that's below £10m. And I'd even be more surprised if Sam was to continue the season with only 2 centre backs (one was out for months last year, one was not playing at all.). Jonas Olsson is not for sale, they rejected QPR's bid in region of what was it, £6m, and told they don't encourage anyone to make any further bids.

However, talkSPORT is already reporting Newcastle are closing in on the deal...

Maiga, Piquionne, O'Neil to leave.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Colocini put in a transfer request yesterday. Personal reasons, wants to go back to Argentina.

Just saying.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

baritalia wrote:The thing is, we've brought in a lot of players, once that LB signs we don't have any space on 25-man lists. That's not a problem but with heavyweights like Carroll, Nolan and a few others, youngsters who earn above average Reserves salaries (Potts, Spence, Hall, Morrison, ...) our budget is just too heavy right now.

I'd be really surprised not to see anybody leaving in this window. But I'd be even more surprised if we let Tomkins leave on a fee that's below £10m. And I'd even be more surprised if Sam was to continue the season with only 2 centre backs (one was out for months last year, one was not playing at all.). Jonas Olsson is not for sale, they rejected QPR's bid in region of what was it, £6m, and told they don't encourage anyone to make any further bids.

However, talkSPORT is already reporting Newcastle are closing in on the deal...

Who is LB ? The only one I can think of right now, is Luis Boa :?

Maiga, Piquionne, O'Neil to leave.
HammerDownUnder

Post by HammerDownUnder »

Willtelll wrote: Nonsense. I admit that the goal was class but I would have backed either Collins or Reid to have stopped it one way or another.
I think you need to take another look at the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPf-lrsAId0

Are you saying that Collins or Reid would've got to that ball before Van Persie? I ask because once Van Persie gets to it, his first and second touch are so sublime there is nothing any defender could do to stop him scoring.
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

There is no way we will play the rest of the season with 2 CBs. Certainly not with what happened last season (Linda and JOB being drafted in) or this (endless injuries, Collins suspended.) No way. The only way Tomkins will leave is if we get in adequate replacements (unlikely in the Jan transfer window which is more for patching up than full-scale squad sorting).

Talksport are, again, talking *****.

So can we talk about something else now?
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

HamburgHammer wrote:Ted, this is the January 2013 transfer thread which doesn't just include transfers in, but also transfers out. Rumour has it that Tomkins may be a transfer from West Ham to Newcastle, hence the discussions on the merits of keeping or selling Tomkins...
Fair point, well made.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

THAT goal wasn't just class it was world class i dont believe any defender in the world could have done anything, from giggs ball to the finish undfendable imo, cant blame jt in any way for it.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Colocini put in a transfer request yesterday. Personal reasons, wants to go back to Argentina.

Just saying.
Blimey!, didn't they pay something like 10mil for him, I can't imagine many, if any, team in South America could pay anything near that!.

Does anybody know anything about an Andrei Kramarica?, making lots of noise about wanting to come to west ham from Russia?
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Andrej Kramaric... Baldock type of player. Don't go in there.

If we really want the next Modric here in England, Alen Halilovic. The kid is going places.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Colocini put in a transfer request yesterday. Personal reasons, wants to go back to Argentina.

Just saying.
That's not true. He has expressed a wish to come home (via his father) and has asked Newcastle if there's a chance for him to join San Lorenzo. If they can't figure things out, he will put in a transfer request but as of now, your post is incorrect.