Sunderland 3-0 West Ham Utd (12/01/13)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

american 'ammer

Re: Sunderland v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by american 'ammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Sunderland didn't pass the ball more accurately than us today, both teams had 75% accuracy.
Well stats don't lie, and you are the stat-master.

But where were those passes completed or lost? It seemed that in the center of the pitch we gave it away more than we completed, while most of our completed passes were back to Diarra. And all he did (yes I know, first full debut and all that) was seem confused and try and pass it to Jack who was off somewhere else.

They certainly did out hustle us today. I'm really surprised to type that about a Big Sam team.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

american 'ammer wrote:Wasn't there some announcer comment about Noble being injured? Or did I dream that in my depressed fugue?
I will confess that I didn't hear today's commentary.

I'd just assumed he was on the bench, same as vs Man United.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

american 'ammer wrote:We really could have used Andy Carroll today. His hold up play would have given us a breather and his flick ons would have brought Nolan to life. Cole simply has no idea where to put the ball for our captain.
Don't agree with this part of your post - Nolan and Cole have played and trained together long enough to have formed an understanding that they can gel with. Our captain doesn't seem to have the will in his mobility to make it work - in my view, Nolan needs to be more intelligent in his game to get closer to Cole and make up for his physical deficiencies. As captain, you'd expect him to take more responsibility for this...
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

We were poor today.

Its not the first time we have been poor on the road, not this season, not this century and not the first time in our history.

Get over it. Its the West Ham way. In 45 years this is the West Ham I have been brought up, conditioned and told to follow. No Olympic stadium, magical Italian or Argentinian strikers, nothing will EVER change that.

This is West Ham. We are not a top club. We'll lose to Sunderland one week and beat Manure the next.

Its all part of the ride, from birth to death.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

bristolhammerfc wrote:When you have to spend your evening dealing with the fall out you might understand.
Surely that's part of the job? A job that you volunteered for? A job you quite relish doing?

Personally I think your stance is subjective.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Possible new thread: Who watches the Watchmen?

Kidding, of course.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

richiepap wrote:
Why read the thread then? If you know what it's going to be like, and that that will annoy you, why read it? What did you think it was going to contain?

It's ok for people to have a good moan on here. It's not like they're going to post their last goodbyes before doing something drastic. You don't need to calm people down or give them perspective because I don't think they're looking for it. .
Fair enough.

But I bet you any money that my posts even if its one or two West Ham fans I've saved from having a blazing row with the Missus or getting tanked up with 10+ pints.I guaranteed there be hammers up & down the land saying that 'Cardiff is a diamond'. :wink:

Richiepap,whats your opinion that defeat match threads hit 50/60+ pages & wins or draws only get around the 30 pages?

Why is that?
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

Gerblatz wrote:Our captain doesn't seem to have the will in his mobility to make it work - in my view, Nolan needs to be more intelligent in his game to get closer to Cole and make up for his physical deficiencies. As captain, you'd expect him to take more responsibility for this...
I understand where you're coming from, but Carroll and Nolan have an almost psychic connection; Carroll seems to always find Nolan no matter how seemingly immobile he is. Yes, Cole and Nolan should be able to replicate this. But for whatever reason (Nolan's lack of mobility, etc), they don't.
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

I don't want to keep piling on this, but today was the day where we were not the sum of our parts and far too unbalanced. When we're on, weaknesses in one player's game is usually worked out by others strengths. Today there was nothing happening ahead of the back 4. It looked like each player was waiting for the other to do something helpful, and it never happened. We had a bit of skill out there with Jarvis, vaz Te and Cole. But none of them looked able to win tackles and set things up. Rather that they were waiting for someone else to make that move to spring them free. A decent amount of skill out there but we were missing some water carriers.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

When we dominate the central midfield area we usually play well.....

We've been struggling to exert dominance in many games since Diame got injured. Take out Noble today and that's exacerbated further.

Diarra and Collison played like two blokes who had been out injured for ages......

Credit to Sunderland though - they were very feisty, worked hard and overpowered us.....
FordLovingHammer

Post by FordLovingHammer »

Well, now that's sunk in, I feel better. Really wasn't a good game, gave the ball away way too easily and as I said earlier some seemed to lack urgency, but then again Sunderland put us to shame on that one.

We won't go down, really can't see that at all. But, I am (as others will be) a bit disappointed at the way we have lost our way a bit, even if I am happy that we aren't in the drop zone for once.

Dust off, deal with it and move on.

COYI
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Richiepap,whats your opinion that defeat match threads hit 50/60+ pages & wins or draws only get around the 30 pages?

Why is that?
The Manc cup match is up to about 55 pages and the capitulation against Liverpool got about 30..............some games just spring up more topics and today's is our poor away form, getting off to crap starts where we concede in the first 15 minutes constantly and only scoring 5 goals away.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

Westcliff Hammer wrote:The one thing i think we should look at is giving Vaz Te a spell up top with one of our other forwards giving us an extra dimension going forward. I think he has all the atributes to become a good striker he knows where the goal is and has pace which defenders really hate. Its only a cup game and what do we stand to lose if it doesnt work? Its United away if we get a result thats a bonus but realistically its unlikely we'll get a result up there.
My main problem with our forward line is we don't have anyone who offers anything different to what we already have, We aren't in the financial position to invest in another forward so our striking options are what we have at the moment.
Vaz Te's whole deminure today was appalling. dropped shoulders when things didn't go his way his attitude was abysmal He looked like a poor mans Bolletteli
m-h

Post by m-h »

The Nolan and Cole thing has been very noticeable for some time. They just don't seem to be on the same page for some reason. It seems Nolan plays a lot deeper when Cole is up top and as such is invariably isolated. Totally different to what we saw when Carroll was starting, Nolan seemed to play higher up the pitch and consequently scoring goals. Nolan hasn't scored in 10 matches now i think, last one was against Newcastle ?.

We never had control of midfield today, surprising after a week to prepare that we looked so disjointed. All over the place really.
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

I think we can all forgive Sam for this one if people are blaming him for it which i am not. He can prepare the team all week, go through with them what he expects from them and go through the tactics which i think he got right if you look at the set up of the side which was quite attacking and with a player Diarra sitting back stabilising the midfield allowing Cole, Jarvis and Collison to create chances with Nolan supporting Cole whenever he can when we have the ball. All the midfielders to drop back and help the defence when we don't have the ball. Which IS the way to play away from home. The problem is he's helpless once the players cross the white line and play begins. Sam saw there was a problem and at half time he made a change bringing the more mobile Vaz Te on for Collison with the hope of catching them on the break as they look to score the second goal.

He can't be blamed for players poor performances there wasn't many shining lights out there Winston Reid was the only one to come out the game with any credit, Dan Potts gave an encouraging Premier League debut but showed he's inexperience after a decent solid start to the game.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

american 'ammer wrote:I understand where you're coming from, but Carroll and Nolan have an almost psychic connection; Carroll seems to always find Nolan no matter how seemingly immobile he is. Yes, Cole and Nolan should be able to replicate this. But for whatever reason (Nolan's lack of mobility, etc), they don't.
Perhaps Carlton needs to spend more time with David Icke and Glen Hoddle...the psychic link?...nothing more than who Nolan is more prepared to work harder for - in my opinion....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Post Horn Gallop wrote:Vaz Te's whole deminure today was appalling. dropped shoulders when things didn't go his way his attitude was abysmal He looked like a poor mans Bolletteli
Obviously not aimed at you PHG, but when I suggested similar last week, I got royally coated off....so watch your step.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Maybe I was watching a different game, but I thought Vaz Te looked the best of a bad bunch out there. Saw a fair bit of the ball and, unlike his last few games, showed a willingness to actually run at defenders on a couple of occasions.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

american 'ammer wrote:
Well stats don't lie, and you are the stat-master.

But where were those passes completed or lost? It seemed that in the center of the pitch we gave it away more than we completed, while most of our completed passes were back to Diarra. .
Total passes : 383 - 415 ( I do know that Sunderland made more passes than us up until the last maybe 10 mins or so when they eased off and the game was won for them, but it is what it is )

Pass completion : 75% - 75%

Own half passing accuracy : 85% - 89%

Attacking half pass accuracy : 62% - 65%

Final third pass accuracy : 64% - 60%

Total passes in defensive half : 41% - 32%

Total passes in attacking half : 59% - 68%

It's creativity that's our issue, and what we actually do with the ball.

1 shot on target today up until the 75th minute, then another two came.

That's not good enough.

We've had 33 shots on target away from home this year in 10 games, and we've scored just 5 goals !!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The passing numbers only tell half the story. If we were a goal up at home and the opposition were happy to just play the ball sideways in their own half we'd let them do that all day. They'd have wonderful Opta stats and no goals..........