Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

mcinerney7

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by mcinerney7 »

we need to play two upfront, and we need someone who can finish like when we had sheringham, he use to put away all his chances with us :) good memories
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

Im still shocked on why we have carbon copy style strikers none with pace apart from our midfield can you honestly see our forwards getting 15 goals between them? when at this moment in time they have 3. i honestly think 15 goals between 3 strikers is not too unrealistic. The goals from midfield will dry up and then what have we got?
DustyHammer
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by DustyHammer »

Westcliff Hammer wrote: If we sell Tomkins which i think we should then i'd love a cheeky loan bid for Joleon Lescott and then in the end of season go out for Chris Samba, Leaving the money recouped for James Tomkins available to get a goal scorer to address our impotency upfront on a permanent deal rather than a loan. Lescott is far better than Tomkins is and is ever likely going to be.
A) Loan limits from the PL
B) We would then have to look for two bargain CB's and a LB instead of 1
C) more new players needing to gel in a short space of time

Also, the chances of us getting lescott ahead of everyone else are slim, and after him, I'm not sure who we'd be likely to sign who is guaranteed to be noticeably better than Tomkins.

I'm sorry, but the size of our squad atm we need to keep him.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Westcliff Hammer wrote:Im still shocked on why we have carbon copy style strikers none with pace apart from our midfield can you honestly see our forwards getting 15 goals between them? when at this moment in time they have 3. i honestly think 15 goals between 3 strikers is not too unrealistic. The goals from midfield will dry up and then what have we got?
Goals from defence?
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

A) Loan limits from the PL
B) We would then have to look for two bargain CB's and a LB instead of 1
C) more new players needing to gel in a short space of time

Also, the chances of us getting lescott ahead of everyone else are slim, and after him, I'm not sure who we'd be likely to sign who is guaranteed to be noticeably better than Tomkins.

I'm sorry, but the size of our squad atm we need to keep him.[/quote]

Fair argument,Regarding Lescott you have to be in it to win it. OK i accept you're argument about the size of the squad but he is someone we should look at off loading at the end of the season.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Westcliff Hammer wrote:We have a goal difference of -3 when has a West Ham team gone into January with a great chance of finishing with a positive one, I can't remember the last time we finished a Premier League season with a positive goal difference.....

Mate what planet are you from?

We'll flog one of our cb's who's under contract and does a good job, and o and loan lescott ( which would take us over our loan allowance) and get a player who effectively turned down Everton a better club or us by saying he's staying at Everton?

With this thread and your one about cole I have to worry about some people on here.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

HammerDownUnder wrote: I think you need to take another look at the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPf-lrsAId0

Are you saying that Collins or Reid would've got to that ball before Van Persie? I ask because once Van Persie gets to it, his first and second touch are so sublime there is nothing any defender could do to stop him scoring.
Well, I am conscious that this is the transfer thread and not a discussion on defending but yes I am saying that Tomkins should have done better. Perhaps he thought that RVP on his weaker side might miss but I know that Collins or Reid would have tried to block the shot.

We can never know whether someone else might have stopped RVP scoring but I am damned sure that a top defender doesn't just watch and admire. Another defender may have failed; they may have given a penalty; they may have prompted RVP to switch back onto his lethal left but the point is they would and should have bloody well tried...

Tomkins didn't offer any resistance and that is all I am saying on the matter.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

RVP's goal was nothing to do with Tomkins ability as a defender. The defence were still pushing up as we had just passed the ball to Carlton. He was absolutely hanging, and as we have seen so many times in the past, his first touch went nearly 20 yards back down the pitch straight to an opposing players feet. In this case Giggs took one touch to set the ball and then (totally unopposed) picked out the best pass he will play all season. Tomkins position when the ball was played was pretty much spot on to turn and cover the ball. Almost any other striker's first touch from that pass would have been away from goal, but RVP's was back across Tomkins meaning any attempt to get in a challenge would have resulted in a red card. For the record, I don't think Moore would have stopped the goal as his pace would not have got him there, and he would have started from the same position.

His positioning was excellent - anything underhit less than the ball from Giggs would have been dealt with easily, as he would have got there first. If there is anything to question regarding this goal it would be his pace. A decent sprint coach would work wonders at our club.

Jason Roberts has previously said on his radio show that it is possible for Tomkons to be dominated by a physical striker. Again, this is something that could easliy be remedied.
Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Please stop talking about that bloody goal.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Joey O'Brien has signed a contract extension until 2016 :thup:

From the clubs twitter feed.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

view from the shires wrote:Jason Roberts has previously said on his radio show that it is possible for Tomkons to be dominated by a physical striker. Again, this is something that could easliy be remedied.
I was at the Reading game at the end of last season where we blew our chances of automatic promotion.

Roberts caught Tomkins with an elbow early on so obviously saw him as a centre half he could bully. Faye then proceeded to try and nip this in the bud and kicked a few lumps out of Roberts who clearly didn't fancy it and went crying to the ref for protection.

There is always someone bigger and stronger.

Roberts is and always was a poor striker at the top level. 34 league goals in his whole career in the Premier League and that was from playing until he's 35.

Not someone whose opinion I'd be much concerned with.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Roby's post above raises a question. Why didn't we keep Faye ? A big, bruising, battle hardened centre back of the likes, I would have thought we could well do with. I would prefer him over Tomkins any day of the week
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

Puff Daddy wrote:Roby's post above raises a question. Why didn't we keep Faye ? A big, bruising, battle hardened centre back of the likes, I would have thought we could well do with. I would prefer him over Tomkins any day of the week
Sam promised him a new deal but board said no.

You start to think that when the owner's son says the new manager's signing sucks, board decides who deserves a new contract and who doesn't... we might really have a problem with the interference from the board room.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I think after yesterday we need a left back and a centre back. I expect the owners to be more receptive to the asking price for Bong or Olson and I would expect us to try to get lescott on loan or a sneaky bid for Hangeland or Senderos as they are out of contract in the summer, or perhaps bid for Curtis Davies as Birmingham are in money troubles.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Peaches wrote:I think after yesterday we need a left back and a centre back. I expect the owners to be more receptive to the asking price for Bong or Olson and I would expect us to try to get lescott on loan or a sneaky bid for Hangeland or Senderos as they are out of contract in the summer, or perhaps bid for Curtis Davies as Birmingham are in money troubles.
Well we can't get another loan but I'd agree about Davies. Thing is though, I'd be concerned about Tomkins future if we got him in. Maybe an 18 month deal for Distin to assist Tomkins in his development. It depends how long Collins is going to be out for. If Collins is looking at 3 months or more then we need some experience to replace him as we have some difficult games coming up.

Let's push the boat out and get in Micah Richards and Olson. Richards can cover RB and CH. What a statement of intent that would be.
TheFuMaster

Post by TheFuMaster »

Perhaps it may be worth inquiring about Scott Dann along with Martin Ollson :think:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

If we signed Richards I think I'd implode with joy.
Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Scott Dann? He is bloody awful.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

The Daily Mail are reporting quotes from Martin O'Neil that they have flown Mangane over from Saudi to discuss a 6 month loan deal.

This is the Senegalese centre half we bid for from Rennes in the summer. Think he failed or medical or we pulled out of the deal?

I wouldn't be suprised if Allardyce tried to go for him again on loan now Collins is crocked.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If he wasn't injured all the time, we should counter Newcastle's interest in Tomkins with a bid for Steven Taylor