The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by Up the Junction »

A quick one this morning to gauge opinion. Please vote below; feel free to expand on your view by reply.
SxHammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by SxHammer »

Voted yes.

I'm pleased with what we brought in.

Like most I would have liked to have seen another centre forward to arrive but it doesn't take the gloss off what was otherwise decent business.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Not a criticism, well perhaps a constructive one...I would have chosen an option of "partly" pleased if available, as I think it's not a black and white question. I feel what we have added to the squad is excellent, but we have missed out on some crucial areas to reinforce. How we will cope without a real alternative to Carroll will be interesting. If we get Carlton back in on a short term basis, we will certainly be stronger than last season imho.

I voted yes, we did most of our business early and it was very good business.

Let's get behind the team now and see what they can do.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

No. Never made an effort to get a creative midfielder re-enforcing the stereotype that he doesn't believe in them..
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

If Carroll is back next game, stays fit and plays every game (including cup) until Jan then it's been a great window.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

irving boleyn wrote:No. Never made an effort to get a creative midfielder re-enforcing the stereotype that he doesn't believe in them..
Ravel.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I voted neither - I was please with how we started out but the way we were left grubbing around looking for some bargains on the last day was disappointing.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Sorry...I had to say no...flame me! :D And to be honest, when the Chairmen and Manager have both said that they needed depth up front as their priority then they will probably agree too.

Carroll just seems to be one of those players who put themselves about and as a result will get whacked about constantly....especially as he will have two CB's on him.

He's been injured since May, has had no pre-season and we are relying on him coming in and being match fit and hoping that he doesn't get a recurrence or another injury.

His back up is a player that we shelled out £5 million on last year and almost immediately it was clear that the manager didn't fancy him, hardly played him and we supposedly spent all summer trying to sell.

Who knows, we might be fine and Andy will have 10 goals by Xmas and I'll eat humble pie. I just remember 2003 where everyone was worried about relying on 2 injury prone strikers and a rookie and lo and behold.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

No not bringing in a striker could really hurt us for the season.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

No

- Don't see how the signings we've made will drastically improve our away form
- One serious injury away from a relegation scrap

Very close to a great window, but naive in the end unfortunately.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I have to say the Downing purchase is still one I cannot get my head around,yes he is a decent player but did w need him?
We have JC , Jarvis, Vaz Te and Taylor , Collison all able to play a similar role but what we did not have is another target man ,Maiga just looks so powder puff and is obviously struggling with our style and is not an out and out striker.
Voted neither
Last edited by 61dicksey on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Voted "neither" - thought it was a bit of a wash overall.

Carroll is a good signing, but we overpaid.
Rat I know little about yet but seems a sensible purchase.
Downing could go either way. Could get the most assists come seasons end, but could also turn out to be the most frustrating player we have.
Adrian seems unnecessary for this season - I doubt he'll play a PL game this season short of Jussi being injured, and Henderson could have done the job on the bench.

We had two clear objectives to address this window - sign Carroll permanently, and add to the goal threat from last season. We only achieved one of those.
Smoke me a kipper

Post by Smoke me a kipper »

Voted Yes.

We've added another out and out winger in Downing which was important as last season we favoured going through Jarvis and were far too predictable so were now more balanced. We've added Carroll permanently which ok we had him last season but he earned his move in my opinion. We've added an experienced left back in Rat though we're yet to see him play and we've added a GK who in time I think will push for the starting spot.

we're not any weaker than last season and we've retained the likes of Reid and Diame which I also see as important. yes we could have done with another striker coming in who's able to push Carroll to perform to his best but for whatever reason we couldn't secure anyone.
De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

I voted no. Hard to answer the question - as overall I am not pleased, but I am pleased with the signings we did make.

It has been clear we needed a replacement for CC since the start of the summer yet we have never even appeared to have been close to securing one. It is a massive gamble by the Daves and no doubt we will be paying extortionate prices or high wage loands for average forwards come January.

In previous years deadwood has been cleared out fairly swiftly, however this year we have been unable to offload the spare parts which has led to no movement for a replacement/upgrade on CC.
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

MD_HM wrote:If Carroll is back next game, stays fit and plays every game (including cup) until Jan then it's been a great window.
This - though it remains unlikely so I was a little more nervous eating my Lucky Charms this morning.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

wizzo_66 wrote:Not a criticism, well perhaps a constructive one...I would have chosen an option of "partly" pleased if available, as I think it's not a black and white question.
If it was "black and white" wizzo, there'd be two options, not four - right?

It's a quick poll. Nothing scientific.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

yes once we sign an out of contract CF
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Aceface wrote:We had two clear objectives to address this window - sign Carroll permanently, and add to the goal threat from last season. We only achieved one of those.
As I remember it the main priorities were a ST, LB, 2nd GK. Which we sorted out early...obv then a second list of priorities emerges and a 2nd ST is one of them.

Aside from Ba and Lukaku, Ba who hasn't been made available and Lukaku who we chased hard but would have probably chosen WBA over us in anycase, I can't really see any options that I wish we'd have got (realistically).

Many people quick to call Chamakh a pointless signing last season but seem convinced not getting a similar signing now as a bad move.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I voted a resounding ' YES !! ' .

The reason for voting ' yes ' is blooming obvious , ...

Andy Carroll is the best centre forward in Britain for the system we play , I never thought in a million years we would sign him on a permanent , best signing since Di Canio .

Then , not only do we get one marquee signing when along comes Downing to make it 2 , TWO MARQUEES in one season , and a full back with CL experience in Rat , and a quality back-up goalkeeper in Adrian .

Brilliant transfer window for a club our size .
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Up the Junction wrote: If it was "black and white" wizzo, there'd be two options, not four - right?

It's a quick poll. Nothing scientific.
Point taken - Neither and Undecided just appear to mean the same thing in this context.