The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by Gerblatz »

I managed to avoid the site yesterday...it was fair fare just to be able to avoid the usual deadline day, media driven wankfest...and once again our support had the piss taken out of them...false hope and information...but Carlton is coming back...or is he?.. :D

What a shambles to have to call back a player who left us in the Summer...or was that part of a plan too?

We signed players, not necessarily all that we wanted - but the Chairmen were true to form. Our new, permanent signing - Andy Carroll - will, if reports of his fitness are true, play in our 1st competitive game after the window has closed...just like the new signings for other clubs. Was that part of a plan to limit discontent?

Maybe I'm getting too cynical about the game as it continues to eat itself up, but overall we have a strong team that is a couple of injuries away from being much weaker. For me that's why I'm not happy about our business in this window - we didn't do enough and could pay for that. We'll soon find out.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

What the Torygraph thinks, not that anyone gives a damn.

Highlight: Picking up Liverpool’s leftovers. Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll may be the punchline to unfunny football Twitter accounts everywhere, but both can be revitalised by playing together at Upton Park. Carroll did well on loan under Sam Allardyce, which made his signing academic. His head meeting the crosses of Downing could be worth far more than the £21.5m paid for them. I’m sure we’ve heard that before…

Lowlight: Despite the permanent signing of Carroll, the England man is currently injured. Allardyce responded to this by asking – nay, begging – for another striker. After a summer of courting Italian Fabio Quagliarella, realisation set in that it was unlikely to happen. They have now brought back Carlton Cole just two months after he left the club.

Glaring omission: Big Sam needs a striker. Where on earth was Kevin Davies? (Answer: Preston).

Overall mark: 6/10. The signing of Liverpool duo Carroll and Downing might work, but it won’t be something to have them blowing bubbles too vigorously at Upton Park. Razvan Rat and Adrian will make good squad players, but it was very much a summer of missed opportunity as other mid-table sides scoured Europe for the best bargains.

In: Andy Carroll (Liverpool, £15.5m), Stewart Downing (Liverpool, £6m), Danny Whitehead (Stockport, Undisclosed), Adrián (Real Betis, Free), Razvan Rat (Shakhtar Donetsk, Free).

Out: Robert Hall (Bolton, Compensation), Cheye Alexander (Port Vale, Free), Jake Larkins (Leyton Orient, Free), Gary O’Neil (QPR, Free), Josh Siafa (Millwall, Free), Jami Rafati (Genoa, Free).

Article with comment on every other club here - http://tinyurl.com/onuh3ov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Our comms were terrible and classless - constant reference to bringing in 'back up to Andy' i felt was very badly judged in particular. But from Jack to the FFP mouthpieces i would prefer less disingenious soundbytes. I take Bristols point about the sky generation but no club management seems to feed the machine so much (and with such an agenda). It becomes impossible to avoid

Our ability to move on players we no longer want were, without exception, complete failures - which suggests a poor approach or a fundamental mis valuation of players

As a result of the two above we have missed an opportunity IMO - not only to finish higher but more importantly to progress us to the point of a plan B. Instead we'll continue to be dependent on Nolan and we will see him MOM in games he scores and an utter waste of space in games he doesn't according to the nolan thread.

Either way nolan won't do another season after this one and we will find our ability to buy goals even more expensive next summer
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I voted yes, but it's a qualified yes .

I believe the owners held out on the Manager - not by much, but by enough to create the situation whereby we couldn't get another striker in .

Their back up plan was always to re-sign Carlton .I'm not sure it's Sam's .

People have banged on about Downing , and he wasn't needed, but for my money the dodgy signings were done last year : Diarra and Maiga .

With Carlton we have an even stronger English feel about us .

I like that .
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Yes for me - a top striker, another creative winger to add thrust going forward, cover at LB and GK.

Another striker would have been nice, but I am sure our management team were doing their best to get this in but I feel this window has been frustrating for a lot of clubs. CFC coming back will stabilize the front line in Carroll's absence, shame he rejected the contract he was offered in the first place - might have stopped all the histrionics on here.

:crest:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote:I believe the owners held out on the Manager - not by much, but by enough to create the situation whereby we couldn't get another striker in .
Haven't they made it quite clear in interviews that the money was there, it was a certain amount as soon as other players were signed, it was, in their minds, there for a striker, but that Allardyce went for Downing instead, & they backed that decision?

Damned if they do....
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Disappointed.

I trust in Allardyce's abilities to get the most from the squad, so don't think we'll be part of a relegation dog fight but with a couple of additions it could be oh so better.

With a Ba and a Sane type signing in addition to what we have, we could have done some damage to the top half of the table and the cups.

Instead we'll be relying on the hardly prolific Carroll, who'll probably be in and out of the treatment room backed up by the blunt instrument that is Carlton Cole and the demotivated, want aways, Vaz Te and Maiga. Add an out for the season Diarra, an in and out Joe Cole, an iffy Collison etc etc.

All this to a back drop of the biggest TV deal in history and £72 home tickets. And to use that smoke screen of FFP is just an insult.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Sloop John B wrote: Many people quick to call Chamakh a pointless signing last season but seem convinced not getting a similar signing now as a bad move.
If we hadnt of signed him last season he would have been perfect for us, but because he knew that he wouldnt get games (spoke out in an interview) then there was no way he would come back.
I have to say the Downing purchase is still one I cannot get my head around,yes he is a decent player but did w need him?
I think the blame lies with that player stoke signed yesterday at the last min... he turned us down flat.. because he wanted a move to a big europe club.. would have bee the perfect player for us. playing on wing but also able to play up front as a lone striker. now because he doesnt get his move he just rocks up at stoke? yeah big club

Sam clearly wanted another winger but saw this guy as perfect for his situation. unfortunatly it didnt work but hey if we get carlton back will be gravy
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:Yes for me - a top striker, another creative winger to add thrust going forward, cover at LB and GK.

Another striker would have been nice, but I am sure our management team were doing their best to get this in but I feel this window has been frustrating for a lot of clubs. CFC coming back will stabilize the front line in Carroll's absence, shame he rejected the contract he was offered in the first place - might have stopped all the histrionics on here.

:crest:
in theory it could work out an even better deal when he comes back.. keeping him would mean we wouldnt have been able to give carroll the number 9 lol (shirt number OCD i know) but on a serious note.. we might not have been able to afford what we afford him and as a result not been able to bring in downing,.. but now because he hasnt been able to find a club he might be taking a pay cut
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:With regards to the top story.

" Nearly half of all West Ham fans believe that the Club had a successful transfer window, according to a snap poll here on KUMB.com."

We're talking about less than 250 votes, the majority of which have failed to give valid reasons as to why they think that on this thread,.
We're actually talking about a non-randomised sample of a very tiny percentage of West Ham fans which cannot be used to make any reliable inferences at all about "all West Ham fans".

Always interesting to find out about the broad opinion of KUMBers, but seriously bad darts to portray these stats as indicating anything more.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:We're talking about less than 250 votes, the majority of which have failed to give valid reasons as to why they think that on this thread.
DrVenk wrote:Always interesting to find out about the broad opinion of KUMBers, but seriously bad darts to portray these stats as indicating anything more.
It states quite clearly in the second paragraph who it relates to.

"Seriously bad darts" :?
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

We made some great signings early on. People are just disappointed because they didn't get the cherry on the cake on September 1st.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

hammer1975 wrote:Either way nolan won't do another season after this one and we will find our ability to buy goals even more expensive next summer
is the inability to sell off players we dont want because their on too high wages for what people are willing to pay?

on the nolan front I think that we have a ready made replacement in Morrison
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

[/b]
the pink palermo wrote: People have banged on about Downing , and he wasn't needed, but for my money the dodgy signings were done last year : Diarra and Maiga .
Now THAT I totally agree with!
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

What's important now is to clear all the dead wood in January so we are not held back next summer by the bloody FFP rules. I hope Jan window results in a lot going out and only one or two coming in.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

scatts wrote:What's important now is to clear all the dead wood in January so we are not held back next summer by the bloody FFP rules. I hope Jan window results in a lot going out and only one or two coming in.
a lot of deadwood contracts are up next summer

if Vaz isnt required his contract is up.. Taylors is up (thank god) I think george's is up which tbh as much as I like him.. injury will have taken his toll
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

bspur1 wrote:Two huge singings by our standards- Caroll and Downing

Two Improvements to the squad- Adrian and Rat

None of our best players sold

How can you complain
Spot on. Can't please everyone I suppose...
alpari

Post by alpari »

We've gotta look at this Transfer in a positive, we didn't lose any of our sellable players as we have done in the past.We brought in 2 England Internationals, a left back and Goalkeeper who both sooner rather then later will be first choice(although JOB is playing well but isn't a the answer) Ravel is pushing for a regular start and brings that much needed energy with a pass n move ethic to our midfield lack.But not getting a centre forward in could make it a long season if Carroll picks up another injury
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

No. It's not about signing good players, which we have but signing players in the positions that require improvement and you can't get a position much more important than striker. It's why they command the most money as a rule. The owners and manager themselves said they needed more striker options so by their own comments it's a failure.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

the pink palermo wrote: People have banged on about Downing , and he wasn't needed, but for my money the dodgy signings were done last year : Diarra and Maiga.
It's a good comment.

Worryingly, I believe the Diarra signing was described the same way as the Downing signing at the time - an unexpected opportunity that came up. There's certainly a place for that when you're a club of our size and budget, but probably only after you've addressed your planned targets and needs. Both these signings look potentially inadvisable with hindsight.

Unlike some, I don't have too much issue with the failure to unload the "championship" signings this window. Would have been nice, but I understand the rationale behind signing players like Taylor, McCartney etc to PL-level contracts - it was a strategy that was necessary to get us the players that would get us out of the second division - and it worked. Having them on the payroll for another season is just a necessary cost of that.