The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by w6hammer »

voted NO.

Failure to sign a quality striker to compete with AC and fill in during his absence is my reason.Deadline day being a farce an embarrassment to our club.How the hell we couldn't secure a decent striker is beyond me.WBA got Anichebe/sessegnon,Palace got Jerome.One good striker in would have eased considerably any relegation fears I have within me.IMO our season depends on one man,AC.We have to hope he gets fit soon and stays fit and finds form otherwise I fear a relegation dog fight.

Part of the club statement yesterday said " we did our business early to avoid last minute panic buys"...Errr....So what was Carlton Cole coming back then ! They must think we was born yesterday.Not happy.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Up the Junction wrote: It states quite clearly in the second paragraph who it relates to.

"Seriously bad darts" :?
It also states clearly in the first line that "nearly half of all West Ham believe that the Club had a successful transfer window".

If you want to make such an inference about the entire population of West Ham fans, then you need a random sample of the entire population. The snap poll isn't based on one, ergo bad darts to attempt to make such an inference.

Governments and companies do this all the time and it is seriously misleading.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

I voted neither

On the one hand, the signings of Rat & Carroll are excellent business

Yet the Vaz Te issue, lack of addressing the striker situation, and now the Carlton issue has left a feeling of disappointment, and strong hints of the sort of farce you usually associate with us

Shame, as it started so well......
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

DrVenk wrote:It also states clearly in the first line that "nearly half of all West Ham believe that the Club had a successful transfer window".
Yes, it does. And, as I said, it's clarified in the very next para exactly who it relates to.

Shall we continue going round in circles?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: and now the Carlton issue has left a feeling of disappointment, and strong hints of the sort of farce you usually associate with us

Shame, as it started so well......
Don't you find that comforting is a strange kind of way? It's the West Ham way.

A broke football club who spent £15 million on an injured player, who are linked with every striker in the civilised world but resign a player that they let go three months previous, the day after the transfer window closes. It's comedy gold and that's before we take over the Olympic Stadium.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Hockley Hammer wrote: Don't you find that comforting is a strange kind of way? It's the West Ham way.

BFS did ask what it was.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Nah, I'm getting dizzy already. The first line is obviously complete bollox because neither you or myself or anyone else knows what ALL West Ham fans think, but happy to see these stats misused for a positive piece of propaganda :thup:
beex
Planet Of The Apes

Post by beex »

smuts wrote:Who knows, we might be fine and Andy will have 10 goals by Xmas and I'll eat humble pie. I just remember 2003 where everyone was worried about relying on 2 injury prone strikers and a rookie and lo and behold.
Well said, my shun.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

DrVenk wrote:Nah, I'm getting dizzy already. The first line is obviously complete bollox because neither you or myself or anyone else knows what ALL West Ham fans think, but happy to see these stats misused for a positive piece of propaganda :thup:
FFS mate, are you serious. Were you honestly mislead into thinking they'd polled ALL west ham fans? No of course you werent. Is anyone stupid enough to think that, no hopefully not.

Why be a nuisance, havent you got a bus ticket collection to look at?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The squad has improved. The issue is that I think many of us hoped that it would improve a little more.

The other side is that I keep hearing about how other teams around us have improved their sides, whilst we have stood still. I think it's important to remember that buying players doesn't necessarily improve your team.

With Cole back in, we have the general shape of a squad that finished 10th last season. Plus Joe Cole for an extra 6 months, Downing, Morrison and Rat. Generally, I would say that most clubs, players and fans know what they are going to get from West Ham this year. I would suggest 45 - 52 points, a good home record and a slightly frustrating away one.

There are a lot more questions to be asked of the likes of S'land, Norwich, Swansea and West Brom.
beckton

Post by beckton »

smuts wrote: Carroll just seems to be one of those players who put themselves about and as a result will get whacked about constantly....especially as he will have two CB's on him.

He's been injured since May, has had no pre-season and we are relying on him coming in and being match fit and hoping that he doesn't get a recurrence or another injury.

What could possibly go wrong?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Hockley Hammer wrote:
Don't you find that comforting is a strange kind of way? It's the West Ham way.

A broke football club who spent £15 million on an injured player, who are linked with every striker in the civilised world but resign a player that they let go three months previous, the day after the transfer window closes. It's comedy gold and that's before we take over the Olympic Stadium.
:D
I know what you mean. Not sure I find it that comforting though!

I did think, up until about a month ago, that with the appointment of Sam we'd put that sort of stuff behind us, and had become a much more professional outfit

The last month has been a farce really, and I do worry it will undermine a lot of the good work that has got us where we are.

A month ago I was expecting us to push on and improve from last season. I can't say I still feel that way

Which is a shame, as it was looking so good. Finally nailed down a decent LB, sorted our main striker, added a quality wide player to give us 4 excellent options to choose 2 from, Morrison showing signs he could give us another CM option.....
But then it sort of petered out. If we get Carlton back, and Vaz Te back in the fold, it might not be such a disaster I guess

I mean, if we'd decided a month ago that we were happy with Carroll and Carlton as our "big man" options, I'd have felt it was a decent enough window, as the end result would be a slight improvement. But despite the end result being no different, the way we have acted in the last month has made it feel like quite a disappointing window
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Turns to Stone wrote: The other side is that I keep hearing about how other teams around us have improved their sides, whilst we have stood still. I think it's important to remember that buying players doesn't necessarily improve your team.

There are a lot more questions to be asked of the likes of S'land, Norwich, Swansea and West Brom.
But if it's true for them then it's true for us as well - we have just as many questions as anyone else (except Sunderland, who I agree seem to have overdone it).

Leaving aside Rat and Adrian who haven't played a game in the PL between them and so are as "unproven" as any, we've bought two players who have been poor for their previous club when bought as a pair with the exact same thinking behind it as the reasons for bringing them here. An as yet unproven theory that Downing firing to Carroll's noggin = goals. It's the same reason we bought Jarvis last season, and that also proved unsuccessful, at least for now.

Those three combined make up nearly all the money we've spent since promotion. It could all work out, but it's as open a question as any club is facing.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

We'll be fine. We'll probably do a little better than last season.

Apart from that what do people expect? A mixture of misjudged pessimism or insatiable thirst for improvement which wouldn't look at of place at Arsenal seems to underlie some posters response.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: I did think, up until about a month ago, that with the appointment of Sam we'd put that sort of stuff behind us, and had become a much more professional outfit

The last month has been a farce really, and I do worry it will undermine a lot of the good work that has got us where we are.

A month ago I was expecting us to push on and improve from last season. I can't say I still feel that way

I mean, if we'd decided a month ago that we were happy with Carroll and Carlton as our "big man" options, I'd have felt it was a decent enough window, as the end result would be a slight improvement. But despite the end result being no different, the way we have acted in the last month has made it feel like quite a disappointing window
It's amazing the impact bringing in a player at the last minute seems to have on a club. I think it happened to us last year. It seems to bring a buzz to the place.

I have to laugh at Arsenal fans. Until a few hours before the deadline they couldn't contain their anger at their lack of action. They buy one player (albeit a superb one) and everything is ok. Can you imagine if Ozil gets crocked quite early once he gets there. The anger will all rise up again.

I think the press linking us with every striker who could walk and then two games without scoring plus the injuries plus Vaz Te's untimely outburst last week made the inaction seem worse than it is.

What would really interest me is knowing who we were really interested in (if anybody). If our targets were ambitious and they didn't come off I can live with that rather than brining in more deadwood just to show we were active. Looking at the price some players went for I certainly don't think the money we spent on Downing was wasted.

I really didn't see the point of spending millions for a player who may spend most of the season sitting on the bench. Surely last season saw the folly in that.
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

Sometimes things don't go exactly as you want... it doesn't make things embarrassing. We didn't get the extra striker we wanted but there you go.

Andy Carroll was target number one and we got him.

Downing, Adrian and Rat are good additions.

Nobody we wanted to stay left the club.

Good window.
Watford Hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Watford Hammer »

Sat on the fence on this one - I was disappointed we didn't bring in at least one additional striker after the last two games, especially Saturday. On the other hand I am pleased with the players we bought in and just because they got them relatively early in the window we must not forget them. Also as others have posted we did not sell anyone that we did not want to go and I never felt as if we were going to either. That is something I am not used to but hopefully that will become the norm.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I voted no the signing of Downing (I'm sure there's a good player there somewhere) was ill timed, ill thought out, surely a manager and two bosses could see we needed a striker,
In training surely Sam saw that maiga wasn't up to the role he wants him to play.
The there was the public humiliation over the Carlton Cole issue. What other club has a 10 year old tweeting about his dads clubs finances and transfer dealings, I know we are a family club but that was taking it too far, who next on the tweet cycle maybe the tea lady informing all and sundry who does and doesn't take sugar.
Really we were made to look real mugs, if a player had cocked up as badly as Sam did with his looking for a back up to AC quote they would have incurred the wrath of the 2 Daves and fined, I hope Sam has been duly fined and cautioned,
and what also has made me say no is tonight's revelation we are going for Bouhlarouz a player injury affecedt obviously unfit ak Carlton Cole.
We seem to foot or foot in it too often recently that's why I said No
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Alladyce has to rebuff his system for me...look at the 'goalscorers' Maiga, Vaz te, Lee? and support thm
442?

they cant do it on their own up top.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Turns to Stone wrote:The squad has improved. The issue is that I think many of us hoped that it would improve a little more.

The other side is that I keep hearing about how other teams around us have improved their sides, whilst we have stood still. I think it's important to remember that buying players doesn't necessarily improve your team.

With Cole back in, we have the general shape of a squad that finished 10th last season. Plus Joe Cole for an extra 6 months, Downing, Morrison and Rat. Generally, I would say that most clubs, players and fans know what they are going to get from West Ham this year. I would suggest 45 - 52 points, a good home record and a slightly frustrating away one.

And that is precisely the problem. They do know to expect a lot of long ball hoofing / getting the ball down the wings and hung up for the big striker in the middle... even when the big striker isnt actually playing.