West Ham Utd 1-2 Arsenal (28/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: West Ham United V Arsenal Match Thread

Post by EvilC »

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but there is a push in the back from Wellbeck before he receives the ball in the build up to the penalty.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Pink Palermo

But there was confusion in the past, one week a Sammy Lee incident would result in a goal standing and the following week a 30 yarder would be chalked for a bloke standing by the corner flag because it was simply all down to the interpretation of the officials.

With the guidance given nowadays there should be far fewer grey areas as an official only has to give someone offside if they are active in that phase of play following the criteria given, everyone knows where they stand until an official acts like they did yesterday by ignoring what they are told to do and apply the offside law how they see fit, can't you see that is where the problem is?

Whether me or you agree with the offside law is not the point but the failure of the officials to act like they have been instructed to is?
kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

Markt85 wrote:The officials got all the major decisions correct
Rubbish. They got the Reid penalty decision correct, well done to them. A shame they disallowed a perfectly good goal (by modern interpretation of the rules), didn't give two clear penalties (Sakho and Amilfitano), and booked our main striker for no reason at all, thus leading him to be more cautious in his performance for the rest of the game.

Yep, a tip-top showing.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Markt85 wrote:The officials got all the major decisions correct , We had players blocking the keepers view in an offside position. .
Rubbish.

Szczeny was not blocked or influenced by anything our players did. Trust me, as someone that sits behind the goal, see the ball fly into the bottom corner. Szczesny did not really move or react because he wasn't getting to it. It was the defenders who appealed and then the flag went up.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The Boleyn Hound wrote:I saw your anti-arsenal sentiments first hand as you shouted at the stewards at the end ! Your face was a picture...

I heard a LOT in the crowd today about how much people really hate Arsenal - myself included.

They did try every trick in the book, and unfortunately for us, it worked.
[/i]

At the end...there was a Window Licking Goon offering all and sundry standing on a seat right next to a Steward.

I just asked the head steward why that was allowed and why if that was in Chav Corner would the person be evicted.

Its double standards yet again...

We get treated like cack away from home them roll out the red carpet for visitors here but come down hard on our own fans.

This is the same head steward who allowed a pitch invader from Everon last season back into the visitors area.

A disgrace :twisted:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

If Song had been in an Arsenal strip...anyone honestly think that it would have been disallowed ?

If Cazorla was in Claret and Blue would we have got that pen ??

That is the sad fact of The Premiership....and the sorry state of affairs of the old school tie still in this country.
one mcavennie

Post by one mcavennie »

Usually swings and roundabouts come the end of the season

Although yeah agreed, the big clubs overall I think get the better rub of the green
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Romford wrote:If Song had been in an Arsenal strip...anyone honestly think that it would have been disallowed ?

If Cazorla was in Claret and Blue would we have got that pen ??

That is the sad fact of The Premiership....and the sorry state of affairs of the old school tie still in this country.
Exactly how I feel today. I try to look at decisions the other way around. The more I saw the penalty the more I'd want it at the other end. Like you I don't think we would get it at certain grounds and against certain clubs and most people in football would agree but nothing is done.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Markt85 wrote:The officials got all the major decisions correct , We had players blocking the keepers view in an offside position ,
No we didn't, if you actually look the only people blocking the keepers view are either Arsenal players or onside, Sakho was not inbetween the keeper and the ball, the guidance to referees this season clearly states that he was not offside. It doesn't matter that the current rule and guidance do not make sense, the goal should have stood. The linesman only raised his flag when confronted by Arsenal players, he did not raise it at the time of the "offence".
Markt85 wrote: Reid lifted his leg up to stop Corzola running on
The movement was far more Corzola trailing his leg onto Reid's to make contact.

There were also two penalty shouts for ourselves in the second half, one of which was a clear penalty and the other is of the type that is often given.

There were huge positives in our performance and it was enjoyable game but it is frustrating when mistakes by the officials decide the result.

Our finishing needs to be more clinical if it had been we would still have won.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Markt85 wrote:The officials got all the major decisions correct , We had players blocking the keepers view in an offside position.
Song's goal should have stood (according to both managers), Carroll was booked for standing still and no penalty was given when Amalfitano has his legs chopped.

I also feel the penalty was harsh but I'll let you have that one. Either way, the referee was shocking .Surprised you feel otherwise.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:The movement was far more Corzola trailing his leg onto Reid's to make contact.

There were also two penalty shouts for ourselves in the second half, one of which was a clear penalty and the other is of the type that is often given.

There were huge positives in our performance and it was enjoyable game but it is frustrating when mistakes by the officials decide the result.

Our finishing needs to be more clinical if it had been we would still have won.
something else we got tactically wrong was trying to spring back and nab an equaliser right after the arse went ahead. arsenal are the biggest confidence team in the league and always seem to get goals in pairs. it wouldn't have made the crowd happy but the smart thing to do would've been to drain the life out of the game for a few minutes.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Who are the muggy c**** who give Song MOTM for every single game.

It's embarrassing and needs to stop.

Adrian was by far our best player and what a good GK he seems to be developing in to. At the beginning of the season I would have said GK was our weakest position but Adrian seems to be proving that wrong each week.
Markt85

Post by Markt85 »

Up the Junction wrote: Song's goal should have stood (according to both managers), Carroll was booked for standing still and no penalty was given when Amalfitano has his legs chopped.

I also feel the penalty was harsh but I'll let you have that one. Either way, the referee was shocking .Surprised you feel otherwise.
Songs goal in real time was hit in the back of the net in about 2 seconds, from the Lino's point of view he can see 2-3 players standing in front of there keeper and the ball flying through one our players legs in the goal - its a grey area and yes a bit tough on us as these type of goals do stand in other games

agree Carroll harsh booking, but see that every week for every team

and sorry, i don't feel we had any stone wall penalty's turned down either

Crux of the matter, until refs get help from a fourth official with a monitor who can tell him through a earpiece what the real outcome should be, we are going to continue to froth at the mouth about referring decisions, almost every match in the prem now have controversial decisions with fans blaming the officials but they don't stand a chance, the game is so quick, so many players are diving and cheating, managers screaming at them on the touchline and a crowd that goes mental at every decision. they don't stand a hope in hell - thats why i give them the benefit of the doubt and just hope decisions even there selves out over time.

we all moan at the refs yet dont think twice about going to the next game , its part of football and always has been, whilst football is such a global success i can only think the governing bodies welcome all this controversy.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

morganwhu wrote:Who are the muggy ***** who give Song MOTM for every single game.
Sponsers. It's who they want to meet and have a photo with, not man of the match.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

I could be wrong but my gut feeling is you don't see as many diving headers these days.
Not criticizing him, but just before he was subbed thought Sakho could have gone horizontal for one on the back stick.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

morganwhu wrote:Who are the muggy ***** who give Song MOTM for every single game.
wizzo_66 wrote:Sponsers. It's who they want to meet and have a photo with, not man of the match.
It should not be allowed, it's embarrassing and probably a bit irritating for the other players.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Markt85 wrote:Songs goal in real time was hit in the back of the net in about 2 seconds, from the Lino's point of view he can see 2-3 players standing in front of there keeper
The assistant could see no-one standing in front of the 'keeper, because he was viewing from side-on.
Markt85 wrote:agree Carroll harsh booking, but see that every week for every team
I'll take your word for it, Mark. I haven't seen many that come close to being as ridiculous as that, but there you go.
only1post wrote:Not criticizing him, but just before he was subbed thought Sakho could have gone horizontal for one on the back stick.
Likewise.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

.... and that last gasp Valencia header at the end should have gave found the top corner too. Think even Carlton wouldn't have missed that from 1 yard out
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Up the Junction wrote: The assistant could see no-one standing in front of the 'keeper, because he's viewing from side-on.
He wouldn't have seen anyone standing in front of the 'keeper from any angle - because no one was physically stood "in front" of him. Sakho and Kouyate were to the side and no where near him, nor his line of vision.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Puff Daddy wrote:.... and that last gasp Valencia header at the end should have gave found the top corner too. Think even Carlton wouldn't have missed that from 1 yard out
Personally felt Cresswell's was the chance to do better. He overcooked a really simple header to the far post.