Southampton 0-0 West Ham Utd (11/02/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bullyhammer

Re: Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by bullyhammer »

Billydinho wrote:
As a neutral, what would you have thought?

If Raith Rovers Goalkeeper did that against Arbroath, would you be shocked to see the man go?
Shocked? No, because in that position I wouldn't have any emotion at all about the red card. I would probably have thought: "that's a bit harsh."
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Sir Bill, speak for yourself bruv.

I don't think I've ever given a biased opinion about West Ham in my entire life. :clap:
window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by window74 »

A red card was incredibly harsh given the fact there was a game of piggyback going on & that it wasn't stopping a clear goal-scoring chance.

These are the 2 things the red card could have been for & even if it was Southampton's keeper, I would have felt it was still harsh.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

If the incident had of been between two outfield players and happened on the halfway line I think it'd have been given as a foul by Mane. With neither being sent off.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Sloop John B wrote:If the incident had of been between two outfield players and happened on the halfway line I think it'd have been given as a foul by Mane. With neither being sent off.
And probably neither player even booked. From FIFA's additional information for refs:

"Referees are reminded that deliberately handling the ball is normally punished only by a direct free-kick or penalty kick if the offence occurred inside the penalty area.

"A caution or dismissal is not normally required."
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

bullyhammer wrote:And probably neither player even booked.
Yup... and commentator giving it the "Half a dozen of one....etc.." line.

You see players getting pushed to the ground and grab the ball before the ref has blown lots of times and they usually get the foul not the handball... The sorts of players that do this are the jumped up pricks who think they know the better than the refs so Adrian is in good company there!! :D
SDKFZ 222

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

I know that our friends from the Saintsweb forum read our comments from here and I have to say that I enjoyed reading their comments about the match the other night (I was there.)

An absolutely brilliant decision this afternoon that the red card was overturned, in my opinion it shouldn't have been as the ball was going away from the goal to start with and Mane was all over Adrian like a rash, but there you go.

Many Saints fans on their forum made quite good comments but obviously there were a few who had the red and white blinkers on. We actually went out with an attacking 4-3-3 formation due to the many injuries to our defenders and midfielders but because of the way the game panned out we had to defend for our lives, what would they have done under similar circumstances? That said, one of the best comments from them was that their supporters are becoming like Arsenal's, :lol:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

How can two sets of supporters be so different when so close, pompey are a great set, saints are the most deluded bunch around.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

saludo de carlitos wrote:How can two sets of supporters be so different when so close, pompey are a great set, saints are the most deluded bunch around.
You'd think having gone down the leagues like Pompey have they'd show a little appreciation and perspective.

Agree entirely. Not got a bad word on Pompey.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Finally got round to reading 'The opposition view'

My word, illusions of grandeur springs to mind.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

Old Fat Tits wrote:Finally got round to reading 'The opposition view'

You what they say about pride...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

ageing hammer wrote:Why not using the GK, when he's capable of playing with the ball on his feet, like Adrian normally is. Foootball has changed since the invitation of the back pass rule. So if you got a GK, who's good on the ball you're able to use him like a very defensive Libero and to push your defence higher up the pitch. If you look at Bayern or Germany and how theyy use Neuer, you see the future of goalkeeping. The lonely shot stopper, who punts the ball to the terraces is gone.

That's not a new concept mate, we used to do that in a lot of games as nippers if we were short a few players.

We called it a fly goalie and he could come out of the area and play further up fiield and then have to scarper back to try and save it if the oppositon attacked :D
Meh, we called it rush and when, as in "Goalkeeper when needed" back in my youth.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Old Fat Tits wrote:Finally got round to reading 'The opposition view'

I know a couple of their supporters who blindly placed ALL blame on their business shortcomings on Rupert Lowe, as they sneaked their way out of paying off debts & climbed back up the table.. The day they were promoted one of the mugs sent me a picture kissing their badge, giving it the big un as if we were actually somehow a rivalry. My only reply was "I'd rather be in Portsmouth's shoes than be as shameless as you"

They make me appreciate G&S
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

From where I was standing I thought it was a nailed on red, great that it's been over turned. Benefit of TV replays eh. Well done west ham ...

Maybe it's just me ... But I have neither the time, inclination, will or interest to read an opposing fans website and to start split going hairs over what's written about us. Seriously who cares .... I actually find it a bit strange. Why bother?

Sure fans of other clubs reading this forum would disagree in their droves over some of the inaccurate waffle written. It's all about opinions.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

saludo de carlitos wrote:How can two sets of supporters be so different when so close, pompey are a great set, saints are the most deluded bunch around.
Well, they DO hate each other.. I lived in Pompey for 3 years in the '80s and Southampton were always referred to as "Scummers". The 2 cities are only 17 miles apart but as different as chalk and cheese. Pompey is, or was then at least, "Gritty". Hard, violent and tribal with dockers, sailors, students and all the drugs, prostitution and general naughtiness that this mixture brings to a city built on a small island, whose boundaries are fixed. You can hear a goal scored at Fratton Park from just about everywhere in the city.
Southampton is more sprawling and genteel, as it is not hemmed in by natural barriers on all sides, like Pompey.
The accents are even different, Southampton being a bit more westcountry and Pompey having influences from sarf London.

To sum up, Pompey over Saints, every time for me.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Pompey is a great city to live in, been in and around it for 25 years and love it, small city very little major crime lovely waterfront , lovely countryside on the doorstep all the ingredients for a great place to live.
Southampton seems to have an identity crisis but are known to us as Pony fiddlers.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

deleted -posted in wrong thread
Last edited by Humbug on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

We have been so unlucky this weekend that you have posed in the wrong thread.

I am blanking out this whol weekend , been on a real downer as i was looking forward to watching the game on BT Sport with my two girls , but after the scond goal went in i couldnt watch . :shock:
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:We have been so unlucky this weekend that you have posed in the wrong thread.

I am blanking out this whol weekend , been on a real downer as i was looking forward to watching the game on BT Sport with my two girls , but after the scond goal went in i couldnt watch . :shock:
Oops sorry - was posting while so knackered . Nevermind, hope we get a result against Spurs.