Aston Villa 1-0 West Ham Utd (09/05/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Adam 'The Smudge'

Re: Aston Villa vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Wrong this wrong that wrong the other.
Wasn't long ago the manager was getting caned for not giving youth a chance.
Burkes third start on the trot shows if he believes in a youngster he'll play him.
Personally I wouldn't have played him yesterday but Sam did and great experience for the lad.
Wasn't long ago we'd get done by 3s and 4s away from home in the league in games like these but those days are gone.
Nene got a roll out too.
There are positives.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Do you think Allardyce is sending our players onto the pitch at the start of a game with the best chance of WINNING a game? Because with all respect you are mad if you think he is.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Allardyce is no Sherwood I'll give you that but a league is based on 38 games where your performance overall is more important and on that basis alone Sam knows when to go safe and keep it tight and hope for a couple of chances and when to go at teams.
I think it'd be folly to believe you can approach every game the same way.
It just cannot happen especially with the lack of depth in our squad.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

In the first half of this season we were sending players forward, at pace to attack the oppositions box .Four in the box when the cross came in , and we prospered .From the pre season friendly against that Italian mob we were doing it week after week .

That is exactly the approach Sherwood has taken since joining Villa .

I don't understand why we stopped doing it , and let's be clear, we have , and I will watch with interest whether Tactics Tim does it next season .
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:Wrong this wrong that wrong the other.
Wasn't long ago the manager was getting caned for not giving youth a chance.
Burkes third start on the trot shows if he believes in a youngster he'll play him.
Personally I wouldn't have played him yesterday but Sam did and great experience for the lad.
Wasn't long ago we'd get done by 3s and 4s away from home in the league in games like these but those days are gone.
Nene got a roll out too.
There are positives.
I've always been in the 'stick' camp on the other thread, mainly due to a lack of better options.

However, don't kid yourself , Allardyce only picked Burke because he didn't have any other centre halves available, not because he believes in him.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

hammer1975 wrote:
If we wanted someone on the pitch to not attack and not get booked or upset the ref then it's baffling that jarvis ain't playing

:lol:
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Sam knows when to go safe?? He's got this season arse about face if that's the case. People take about injuries, we started the game away to Man C with 9 of the players that started the home game. Yes form had dipped but the major difference was the way we approached the game.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Shames like this getting done by 3 or 4 are you sure ? They were relegation candidates until a couple of weeks ago
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Pretty poor game overall I thought.

Second half was a big improvement over an incredibly poor first one. A very unprofessional performance. Not much to admire in that first half. We were lazy, callous, argumentative, full of play acting and just horrible to watch. This was in addition to negative and unadventurous. (Kit looked nicer with white socks though)

At least the manager made some positive changes, including putting on two forwards to end the game with. He obviously wasn't satisfied, having played three skippers in one game (all unforced changes).

I was extremely disappointed with the performances of Valencia and Morgan. Valencia especially did not get going in the whole game and showed a dire attitude.

Villa were holding on for the second half, desperate to get the points. We finished the stronger side, but to be fair, we were not that hard to beat really.

Will we make 50 points and finish with a positive goal difference? Possibly. The evidence is though, we could have comfortably achieved this long ago.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Its fair to say, surely, that we are presently playing a second string attack in front of a 'needs must' CB partnership.

I say that because it must be that we'd show more goal threat if we had one or both of Carroll and Sakho available. At the moment, we are very light in that department, but with a summer of treatment etc to get back in shape, we can expect better things.

It does trouble me however that the lacklustre displays we've demonstrated since WHL are arising with what appears to be our first choice midfield out on the park.

Seems to me that we need a couple of new faces in the midfield options once Song departs, to catalyse a reaction. We'd be in some trouble if we sleep-walked into the new season playing like we are at the moment.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We could have won that game,set up differently.

Song to have started.

Nene or Amalfatino to have starte as a second forward not wasted wide

Noble to have played as the more advanced of the three DM... he is the only one who can make a pass in or around the box....... Kayoute's qualities do not include creating goals.

This was all foreseen.....and having seen Downing wasnt in the mood he should have been off at half time....
ireland hammer

Post by ireland hammer »

Another **** Saturday with the wrong starting 11 FFS
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

the pink palermo wrote:In the first half of this season we were sending players forward, at pace to attack the oppositions box .
I know you're not a fan of Valencia, but it's no surprise that he was a lot better when we were playing this way. One of the positives he has given us, is the pressure he puts defenders under when he has the ball. I don't think the way we are setting up at the moment, is getting the best out of a lot of our players. Valencia isn't the only one who's form has dropped since. Downing, Song, even Jenkinson, and I don't think that is a coincidence.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Was this you?

At the end of the game when Song came over to the kids (including my boy) and passed his shirt to a small lad, stopping for pics etc. Was you the pissed up 50 year old skinhead who barged the kids out the way , fell onto the pitch and shouted at Song "f*** off you black C, you ****ing gooner black C"? If it was I'd suggest you a) retire from attending matches or b) quit booze it you clearly can't handle it.

Oh and when someone pulls you up on your c***ish behaviour don't try to fight them as well. Your mate did you a favour dragging you away I think my fist would sit nicely in the middle of you piggy face.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

And it's always the youth who get the blame for terrible behaviour...
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Congratulations Sam - you have managed to knock the b*llocks out of one of the most loyal away followings in the land- 3,000 there again yesterday and you gave us nothing, nada, zip, zero. Standing on the touchline waving your arms like a penguin and showing your fat pie gut off doth not a decent manager make- you are a busted flush, reserve-tank extinguished, done and dusted.

Watching west ham reminds me of some of the boys football matches ive watched over the years- the one where once the managers son goes of injured he doesnt give a f***/sets them up to lose to show how much the side need him- for sam read Andy Carroll continued party in ****ing Dubai as the reason he doesnt want to do anything positive with the side.

As for the players- they are also mostly to blame- either not good enough ( Cole, Noble) past it ( nolan) inconsistent ( downing) or just plain ****ing barmy & idiotic ( almofatonsilwotsit) he;s been bitching about not starting- he gets a start and proceeds to do nothing other than fall over, get into a scrap that nearly gets him send off-- completely ****ing brain dead- I now realise why he richochets between so many clubs.

Villa, like qpr and the rest didnt have to do much., anything to beat us- they were ****ing pony and even then we didnt get a shot on target until about the 60th minute. Risible, indefensible, gutless, hopeless- anyone who can take anything positive out of the game must be smoking some really wierd ****- this team is going nowhere- we've handed a 6 years contract to mark noble who really should be looking a stepping down a league on this seasons form- he's stopped running, decision making has gone into reverse and given how many passes he fluffs he should take a trip to specsavers.

Ive said it many time this season- we look like we met up in the car park of the dog and duck and decided who was playing where over a fag in the dressing room- one of the easiest side to play against, one of the easiest sides to stop scoring.... a shapeless idiotic 54----------------------------------------------------------------1 formation for the first half surrendered the possession and the match to a pretty tame villa side who, unsurprisingly, jigged around our "54" as no-one dared to break their pattern up, and anytime we had the ball, we lumped it into the middle of----------------------------------------------- and funnily enough villa got the ball back. The last ten games ive seen Adrian kick from his hand/ground into an area roughly around the centre spot where an isolated valencia gets mullered by two or more 6' centre backs- and away they come with the ball- thats not remotely defensible at any level, is it?

Yes, Im pretty ****ing gloomy today- anyone fancy a trip to newcastle - ive got a hotel & match ticket spare- why the f*** would I invest any more time and money in that pile of pony- im loyal, but im not daft, well not any more ... :scarfer:
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

What a brilliant heartfelt post....mate I genuinely feel for you
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I've said this numerous times but we play an extra midfielder or a narrow four, so how can we never win the ball or keep it?
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Billydinho wrote:I've said this numerous times but we play an extra midfielder or a narrow four, so how can we never win the ball or keep it?
I can easily give you the answer, because we don't press, we drop back and have midfielders who make no attempt to close down or go with runners. when you lose the ball you should immediately try and get it back and if that fails then you drop back into shape.
rtwhufc83

Post by rtwhufc83 »

IMO anybody who is still in the Sam 'stick' camp needs their head testing.

I personally cant spend anymore money watching the utter **** that he's putting out week after week.

I decided on the train home from brum last night that was my last game of the season.

I have a feeling I'm not alone.

Sam please **** off.