74000 seats- -now 66500.

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

74000 seats- -now 66500.

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Licenced at 54000 for football.

20000 seats not to be used.

An unnamed west ham spokesman said.."ahhh f*** it..I'm sure it will look ok..we are gonna chuck some old tarpaulin and dust sheets over em that will be left in the skip by the builders ..pardon?"

Update- over 10000 seats covered. 6000 in the lower tier. Sounds nice.
Last edited by Hugh Jargon on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavrosh

Re: 74000 seats.

Post by gavrosh »

I see youve just realised this after I posted the information on skyscrapercity.com.

Even then youre wrong. It's licensed for 60,000, it's just that 54,000 sits within the FIFA optimal viewing area (which isnt an issue for domestic games).

And the number of closed off seats is 18,000, thanks to 2,000 having to be removed to accommodate the new roof.
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

gavrosh wrote:I see youve just realised this after I posted the information on skyscrapercity.com.

Even then youre wrong. It's licensed for 60,000, it's just that 54,000 sits within the FIFA optimal viewing area (which isnt an issue for domestic games).

And the number of closed off seats is 18,000, thanks to 2,000 having to be removed to accommodate the new roof.
Nope. Sorry never heard of you or skyscaper.com.

Got this info from a journo. Even if you are right...this is news to.me..18000 closed off seats? 20000 closed off seats...still basically the same story.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Licenced at 54000 for football.

20000 seats not to be used.

An unnamed west ham spokesman said.."ahhh **** it..I'm sure it will look ok..we are gonna chuck some old tarpaulin and dust sheets over em that will be left in the skip by the builders ..pardon?"
Tell us something new Hugh?
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Oh....I didn't know this...working 80 hours a week...I miss things.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Actually I was talking to Sean earlier and having gone through the Design and Access statement again, the total potential capacity in football mode is actually 75,083.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Was going to ask the same question Hugh posed originally in the migration thread in the GD. Never saw where these 20k seats that are going to be covered are when I got my ticket (surprisingly). These all going to be up the top at the back or something? Can't imagine this without it looking terrible...
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Tarbs wrote:Was going to ask the same question Hugh posed originally in the migration thread in the GD. Never saw where these 20k seats that are going to be covered are when I got my ticket (surprisingly). These all going to be up the top at the back or something? Can't imagine this without it looking terrible...

Thanks Tarbs....thought I was going mad. Trouble is the happy clappy optimists refuse to ask the serious questions. This might look **** for all we know.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:
Thanks Tarbs....thought I was going mad. Trouble is the happy clappy optimists refuse to ask the serious questions. This might look **** for all we know.
You mean the ones who have actually been there?

Everyone already knew that these seats were going to be covered, it's not a big deal? They are at the ends and across the top it won't even look like there are seats there.

Next you're going to come out with the breaking news there will be gaps behind the retractable seating and it will make it look ****.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Where's that time travel thread? :P
Katie

Post by Katie »

Guy in the reservation centre today said that we only need to apply to Newham council for planning permission, which he seems to think would be granted with ease, and all seats could be used taking capacity over 70,000.
Hugh Jargon

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I honestly thought there was a conversion to 54000 max. So Rebirth...not everyone did know!
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I honestly thought there was a conversion to 54000 max. So Rebirth...not everyone did know!
I've been saying this for years as many others have,
since day 1 of the 1st time G&S bid there has always been empty seats, originally it was supposed to be 60,000 in football mode rising to 74,000 in cricket mode, all revealed at the very 1st SAB meeting.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Katie wrote:Guy in the reservation centre today said that we only need to apply to Newham council for planning permission, which he seems to think would be granted with ease, and all seats could be used taking capacity over 70,000.
Well it'll be the LLDC that grant permission and it's 74-75,000 but nearly there.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Katie wrote:Guy in the reservation centre today said that we only need to apply to Newham council for planning permission, which he seems to think would be granted with ease, and all seats could be used taking capacity over 70,000.
You mean the salesman,
So they don't know where the all the bands stop and start but they know we can increase to over 70,000.
Why would you need planning permission to use seats already fitted and used with over events.?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Planning permission would be needed for the extra back Of house facilities for more than 60,000 spectators (mostly toilets and food and drink outlets) and a new travel plan drawn up to accommodate the 20k or so extra fans.
a86

Post by a86 »

is their a link to the design and access statement lads?

would be good to have a look at it. on Saturday at the athletics, the attendance was 51K... and it wasn't even full. I wondered that there must be more than 3,000 seats spare and if the total attendance is 74,000 then that's fantastic. that means the club can grow to its full potential rather than being capped. Arsenal spurs and Chelsea will have trouble extending onto their new stadiums where as all we have to do is undercover the seats and add category 6 and 7 bands for season tickets.

as long as they cover it up well then I don't see a problem, an LED curtain like how they are going to the exterior would be the best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAjgKWxYkow

cheers
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Here's the link (page 57)

http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... -36146.pdf

"On the west side, the proposed elevated seating is divided into a mid-tier for approximately 1,400 spectators; and upper tier, to allow for two additional levels of accommodation to be slotted into the structure. This accommodation provides essential operational areas that require a view of the arena at Level 01, and hospitality accommodation at podium, Level 01 and Level 02. The rebuilding of the mid-tier also allows for a further opportunity for level access to the back of the tier and the construction of a new super-riser position which did not exist in the Games mode design. The accommodation at Level 02 enables level access to the front of the upper tier. All levels in the west stand are connected by stairs, lift s and escalators. On the north south and east sides, the elevated seating comprises a single upper tier, which is contiguous with the upper tier on the west, with approximately 52,000 seats completing the bowl"

So that's 1400 + 52000 +21000 = 73,400 current potential max in football mode and 77,400 in athletics mode.

At least some bridging with demountable seating can be done on the west stand as it is being done on the east. I reckon more infill like this can add around another 2500 seats, taking total potential capacity to 76,000. They could go further still if they infilled the area where the screens sit but that wont be for many years if at all.

A number of people that have been to the reservation centre already have been told that the club are considering the possibility of taking capacity up to 70,000 should there eventually be demand for it.

Current planning permission is - believe it or not - for an unlimited capacity for West Ham games, as per the decision notice:

"“Sports Event” means any of the following: 1. A Resident Football Team football match with a capacity of up to 54,000 spectators; 2. Any sports event (either pitch sports including athletics or non-pitch sports),which is not a Resident Football Team match, with a capacity of up to 60,000 spectators or a Resident Football Team match with a capacity of more than 54,000 spectators; 3. A World Championship Athletics Event with a capacity of up to 59,000 spectators."

http://planningregister.londonlegacy.co ... -36180.pdf
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Would be excellent for the club if the possibility is there for us to increase capacity to 70 k plus, Gold was asked this question on Twitter, albeit a while ago and he said 54k was the maximum we could go in football mode ?? Young jack said the other day we could go to 60k if the need arises, I got the impression he meant we could do this straight away if we wanted, would that be right gavros ?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Yes, essentially. The planning permission as worded does not set a limit on capacity for the 'resident football club' but there are only facilities adequate for 60k and the match day travel plan is set for 60k. So, to go above 60k, which can be done in the second season, there will need to be a planning amendment to allow afor about 350 more toilets (easily done given the space), more mobile food and drink stalls (ditto) and a new match day travel plan that allows for more point of ingress and egress, most notably making more use of the route through the Carpenters Estate.