Kids / Youth football

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Kids / Youth football

Postby Sloffy on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Mods can we start a thread for KUMB readers who run / coach kids and youth football teams? Chat about development, performances and news, obviously stopping short of specifics.

I coach an u-11 team in Central Beds, who play in the Chiltern Youth League. This season was supposed to be our first at competitive level, but the powers that be have ruled us non-competitive for another year.

We go 9v9 this season, larger pitch & goals plus the dreaded offside rule starts this year. I've got my 3 new players in place to accommodate the larger sized team, and our season starts on Sept 5.

Any other posters do something similar? ( UTJ aren't you a youth coach? )

Be interesting to hear how all our teams get on thru the season
Sloffy

Re: Kids / Youth football

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Great idea, though shall move to The Snug, Sloffy, being as it's non WHU-related.

For what reasons have your local FA/league decreed that an Under 11s league should be non-competitive?

And yes, I work with the kids (Under Nines this season) here, where I'm also Chairman.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Sloffy on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Great stuff cheers

I believe its a new FA mandate - ALL u11 leagues are not permitted to play in competitive leagues as of this season.

Cup tournaments ARE competitive however.

The FA know who are the good, average and weaker teams, and will 'group' teams into likeminded leagues, in order to avoid ridiculous scorelines and massive defeats. For our u11 competition there are 6 different leagues for this season, A-F, and my lot have been placed in B, which I think is about right.

Be great to read of other posters youth teams throughout the season, how they are doing etc.

My team have 11 in the squad and I have a real mix of talent. My own son is part of the team, and is there on merit, as an extremely reliable defender, who insists on wearing the number 6 shirt ( for obvious reasons !! ) :scarfer:
Sloffy

Postby w4hammer on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Good idea! My days are over, finished two seasons ago after 11 years of youth football with the lad.

Although alot of it was a pain, would do it again x3 if i had the chance.. some great bonding times with my son, some fantastic football, a few idiots and a lot , a lot of laughs!
w4hammer

Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham

Postby BKHWHU on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm coaching a U12 team in Sweden, the first team play their football in the Swedish premier league.

This is my first year as a coach, but both me and the team has taken huge steps in our development. I have brought a more passing-oriented style of play than they were used to and they have embraced that style. The last words I heard about my team, is that they are the ones that have developed most in the club. (They had never reached beyond the quaterfinals, since I joined they have reached two semifinals and two finals.)

I received some recognition and reward when I got called up to the U17s for the Gothia tipselit trophy(a invite-only part of the Gothia cup, the worlds biggest youth tournament). Where I assisted the team who reached the final, lost against Right to Dream academy. (Newcastle U17s reached the quaterfinals).

My ambitions reaches way beyond U12 level, I'll get the UEFA B diploma within a half-year and I have all ready spoken with the club about the UEFA A diploma(they pay for all the diplomas), but it's a lot of fun to see the U12 players develop their skills. And as w4hammer, it's brings a lot of laughs!
BKHWHU

Postby Sloffy on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Fantastic !

We should use this thread weekly to discuss the weekends games, and keep upto date with each others teams

That's a great story BKH

The adult first team of my lads, play in the 8th tier of English football, in front of average crowds of 120. However they made national news last January, by being the first step 4 club to ever sell a player direct to the PL. Crystal Palace signing our 20 year old prolific striker. Our little club made BBC news and was on the yellow bit of SSN's transfer deadline day coverage.

Brilliant for the club
Sloffy

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 am

running an under 15s team in the echo league this season

I am looking for a couple of good standard players especially a keeper to play in the A division

we train in Upminster and play home games in South Hornchurch

PM me for more info
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Harlow Hammer on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:23 pm

2nd season coaching my boys team. Under 9's just moved to the Chelmsford league

Played first friendly last week and drew 4-4. Much improvement from last season. Nice to see what you teach them at training paying off on the field. Some nice passing, one twos and overlapping runs going on.

Got two absolute quality defenders and a young girl up front who scored all four. Won't be long before she is scouted.

I love it.

Got my Level 1 FA badge and doing a youth diploma at Coever Coaching in November to look at how they teach technical ability and run sessions. Anyone done this type of coaching before?

Any under 9 team fancy a friendly drop me a PM
Harlow Hammer

Postby Josie112002 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Am the club secretary for my son's Under 13 team, have been involved in some coaching/managing the team over the past couple years when people have been unavailable.

Was at a tournament all day on Sunday managing the team with another parent (the manager was absent), we drew the first game and lost the other seven. We are not the greatest team but they all try, losing our star striker at the end of the season did not help. The lads did win the fair play trophy though which was awesome, very little moaning considering they were losing every game-they were a credit to the club. Favourite moment of the day was telling my lad we were 2-0 up against Arsenal during a break in play; helped him to wind up the Arsenal fans in the team later :)
Josie112002

Postby Sloffy on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 am

Harlow Hammer wrote:2nd season coaching my boys team. Under 9's just moved to the Chelmsford league

Any under 9 team fancy a friendly drop me a PM

Brilliant

Just the type of post this thread requires.
Sloffy

Postby BKHWHU on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm currently back in my hometown during the summer, but I'll head back to the coaching and the student life next week. That's why I haven't brought any updates!

But I saw that the U12 team won their first league game since the summer break with 5-1.

When I head back I'll have a meeting with the academy director about the future, I know that if I want, the "head coach-job" for the U12 is mine. I spoke with the current U12 head coach and he wanted me to take that spot for the next year.(We play spring-autumn in Sweden.) But I will sit down and listen to what they offer at first and then I'll express my desires and ambitions, which is to step up a few levels to assist and learn from more experienced coaches at the club.

Actually I'll wonder what you all thinks, what's the better, become head coach for a U13 team and run things kinda in my own way. (I hope there will be some guidelines on how and what we should teach the players.) Or try to lurk my way into a higher age group and assist and, as I said, learn from more experienced coaches.

As I wrote in my other post, I've high coaching ambitions and I would like to reach as far as I can with my football.

I think this thread could be really nice to read if we all keep posting, even if it's U9 or U15(which I think was the oldest in this thread), because I really enjoy to read about youth development and other coaches ideas. If any of you would like some new exercise, I'll be happy to help. During my spare time I search and collect exercises which enhance the football I like my players to play.
And if some of you got any exercise you use with your team, you're more than welcome to share it!
BKHWHU

Postby Sloffy on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 am

From my own POV, I took up coaching for 2 reasons, 1 was that I live and breathe football, and 2 is that my son and his team-mates have the potential to be a really good team and I want to try and help achieve that. I don't have any coaching aspirations of my own, just a hobby for me. I'm Level 1 and the assistant, my head coach is Level 2.

We certainly haven't got a squad of superstars. I have 2 players who some teams wouldnt consider, but are improving all the time, and are a work in progress. I have another 1 who spent all his young years playing for a team who 'stuck' him in defence, told him to stand on the penalty area line and boot it clear if it comes near him.......Last season we had this lad moving up and down the touchline, overlapping, passing and - in one game,he scored a goal ! Its unknown territory for him and hes loving it.

I'm very lucky to have supportive parents too, some clubs seem to have dads - and sometimes mums - who think its the World Cup. These boys are 9 and 10 for goodness sake. Our team motto is ' Its their game, let them play '.

The fact that we had several boys wanting to join my team for the new season, suggests the lads enjoy it, and we do the right things. I've got 3 new players to accommodate the bigger sized pitch and teams next season, and I really cant wait to get started
Sloffy

Postby The_Cheadley on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I run Basildon Town Tigers u11s (for this coming season), so am also moving into 9 a side. I've got 11 boys - 8 from last year and 3 newbies, 2 of which haven't played for a team before. We've got a good side with some pretty handy players, and then a couple of weaker ones as well. I try to teach the boys that winning is important but fair play and friendship is better, and I'm proud that I've never seen any of my boys dive, try to trick the referee and stuff like that which I have encountered from other teams.

I manage the team, deal with all the money and paperwork, and deal with the matches. I have a coach (FA level 1) who helps out with the coaching so I don't have to do it all myself. I have the FA emergency first aid certificate, as well as a full first aid certificate through work. I'll do the FA level 1 at some point I guess, probably only if I have to. I've seen the coursework and I wasn't massively impressed, although I know that the level 2 stuff is a bit better.

We had a game today, final score was 3-3. We played really well against a team who was 2 leagues above us last year, and we only lost out on the victory by a last minute fluke (defender cleared the ball into the face of an attacker and it trickled into the net at snail pace...!). Very pleased with the boys though, especially as our best CM is on holiday.
The_Cheadley

Postby NXA on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:17 pm

A kid is a baby goat, they are children, after a few years away this Americanism has really come in....rant over :D
NXA

Location: Russia - protest is not allowed, now go and drink a lot of Vodka and forget about it.

Postby beckton on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:59 pm

I didn't know where to put this question so I thought I'd stick it on this thread.

Anyone know much about the Nerf Junior Premier League? All I know is what I've found on the internet and that it's basically sold as a bridge between local grassroots and academy football.

The reason I'm asking is two of my sons friends have signed to a local club at U12's this season and will be playing in it for the first time. I just wondered what the general standard is like.
beckton

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Great posts on here, well done to everyone involved in youth football, I know how much time it takes up :thup:

I am level 2 now, run an U18 side this year, my U16's won the league last year in the Colchester & District league.

Signed 18 players for the start of the season (13th Sept), cracking bunch of fellas, and when people knock the youth of today I always counter that as I have some terrific lads playing for me. Some parents are still an issue, but everyone I know involved in youth football has the same issue, not the boys, it's the parents.

Four friendlies in, four wins currently and some lovely feedback from refs/other managers about what a good footballing side we are, which honestly, makes me proud as punch.

I get more from coaching/managing youth football than I could ever imagine.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Sloffy on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Anyones season start yesterday?

Ours did but we didn't have a game :twisted:
Sloffy

Postby Clacton-ammer on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:33 am

This Sunday for our start, last friendly yesterday, we were not quite at it and only managed a nil nil, entertaining 0-0 in fairness. Can't wait for the start, got a great set of fellas and some very talented players.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Sloffy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 am

Our season belatedly starts this Sat, as we were fixture free on the opening week.

Unbelievably our oppo have called off the game.

So we've arranged a friendly to give our boys a game. Trouble is, the only teams with a free weekend are ranked 4 groups below us, so we've swerved that be and we are playing the u12s from our own club.

Rivalry, same club, same school for most, and they are a year older.

Bring it on!
Sloffy

Postby chalks on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:58 am

My 11 year old played for his Academy yesterday v another academy, who were unbeaten last season apparently. Really good game of football, and Joe's team won 3-1, with Joe scoring one and setting up the other two. Was noticeable when we went a goal up that the opposition weren't used to losing games, as it got very niggly and dirty

Great Sunday, and as a result Joe has been offered to play up a year, signing full academy forms, happy days
chalks
Sliding down his pole

Next

Return to The Snug