Away Fans + Day Trippers @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Re: Away Fans + Day Trippers @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

Post by Rocketron »

Even if we focus only on the Day Trippers. Why are they being given Blocks 120, 124,125,127
To be fair to the club, they said very early on that no season tickets would be sold in the South Stand.
I assume the reason is that no STH will be inconvenienced when the away allocation varies.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Rocketron wrote:Even if we focus only on the Day Trippers. Why are they being given Blocks 120, 124,125,127
To be fair to the club, they said very early on that no season tickets would be sold in the South Stand.
I assume the reason is that no STH will be inconvenienced when the away allocation varies.
Should only vary to impact those Blocks for Cup games, which in any case aren't even included on your Season Ticket anyway..
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Re: Away Fans @ the OS (in the LOWER TIER!!)

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote:There are not many stadiums in the Premier League that do not give lower tier tickets to an away team and it has been pointed out on many occasions that segregation would be impossible between the upper and lower as they share a concourse.

Feels like people are moaning for the sake of moaning sometimes.
WestHamIFC wrote: With all due respect given some of the feats of engineering and design converting the stadium post-Olympics, to configure a solution to separate fans on a concourse simply is hardly rates the biggest challenge the stadium designers have faced since 2012 is it? Saying it's "impossible" - really??

It's also disrespectful to say that legitimate concerns shared by a great many loyal STHs "are moaning for the sake of moaning". Please try and have some class. :thup:
Class?? Listen to yourself, no reason to be so insufferable or condescending. You have no morale high ground over anyone else on here so please don't act as though you do, and please do not tell other posters how they should or should not post.

If you think for one second that some people, some times (I never mentioned who or how many), do not moan for the sake of it (particularly on the topic of the move) then there is very little point in us reading or replying to each others posts. And if you really did find that disrespectful, then I can only assume it has somehow hit a raw nerve.

You know full well that the upper and lower tier share a concourse so therefore away fans will be given upper and lower tickets. Just the same as we always get from the vast majority of other teams.

The away fans are in the lower tier of The Boleyn now and I don't hear too many complaints about that. My season ticket is and has been in the final block of the CR for many a year now, directly next to the away fans. I can assure you that it would have been pretty dull at times had they not been right next to us and I can also assure you that if you pop down one half time and ask us all how we feel about your nice idea of moving them up and out of the way, you will hear far less class in reply.

The first thing me and my group (over 50 in total) requested was that we were given like for like seats and placed directly next to the away fans in the lower tier of the stadium. The club were great and accommodated us all. So with that in mind, do you think that we should all have our match day experience changed, just because you want the away fans up and out of the way?? Isn't that showing the same lack of consideration for others?

Of course we could have designed the stadium differently and of course a solution can still be created. I myself came up with some great redesign ideas and posted them on here years ago so of course it could have been done to perfection by someone more skilled and qualified.

But for now it will not happen so on a match day, with the current set up, it will be impossible for stewards and police to provide the appropriate segregation and safety. That is the end of the matter.

Well, until a time comes when we are able to redevelop the stadium further or buy it outright of course.

You stay classy Sir, and keep away from those nasty away fans!
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

OK maybe my reply could have been a bit 'classier' itself I will concede that.

Putting the Away fans to one side for a moment and looking at the Day Trippers.

I do think it's a real kick in the teeth to all the current STBL STHs that they are giving the entire Home Section of the New Sir Trev Lower to Day Trippers and therefore displacing the Season Ticket Holders. They won't be getting a 'comparable view' will they?

Not a great way to treat those one's who currently create the most atmosphere @ UP!

This stuff about not inconveniencing STHs for Cup Games when the Away allocation is increased is complete BS, since that is the same as the situation now.

Given the choice I think the current STBL STHs would prefer that 'inconvenience' to being permanently forced upstairs..

I suspect there's gonna be angry scenes when it's their turn in the Reservation Centre..
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

Post by -DL- »

Personally, I find it a bit disrespectful to call those that don't go every game 'day-trippers' like it's some kind of insult and that they are not worthy.

From experience, those that I sometimes go with, including myself, are in the main ex-STH whose lives have changed to the point they cannot get to games as frequently as they like and it makes having a ST non-viable.

Using me as an example as a 'day-tripper' I have taken three of my children, soon to be four, to games and they have all wanted to return and become fans, and I'm pretty sure that by 'day-trippers' like me that bring children to attend, are also bringing along another generation of STH, and also should circumstances change, would also become a STH themselves again.

There really does seem to be some kind of snobbery and a sense of it being a closed shop if your a season ticket holder that nobody else is welcome unless you have one.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Maybe I misunderstood but for me the day trippers are as pictured below.... Not West ham fans who do not own a S/T...?

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm getting day-trippers mixed up with the other heathen breed, part Time Percys.

One up the food chain from The Armchair 'Arrys.

The point remains though, still looked down upon by the ST Holders on here.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

I don't look down on non-STH holders. Considering motives I do look down on those who didn't have a ST at the BG but can now suddenly get a +1 ticket at OS for Band 1 or 2 because certainly cost obviously wasn't the issue at the BG.

So what has changed for them from moving to the OS from the BG in that time? And if we stay **** and the challenging for titles and European football doesn't happen, what will be the new excuse for giving it up in the future I wonder? Whilst we are then left with a club model/experience formulated on extracting as much as possible from the daytripper/tourist/Johnny Come Lately rather than considering long-term supporters wishes.

The half-and-half scarfer is far more concerning though. G&S&B would see that and be delighted to get more of that and get rid of the tribal animals
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

hadleighhammer wrote:I don't look down on non-STH holders.
Neither do I, especially genuine West Ham supporting ones.

My point was simply that hordes of WH STH's currently in the Sir Trev Lower (and many from the BML) will be forced to sit upstairs because their equivalent section is being given to Day Trippers - by that I very much include non-West Ham fans and Tourists who simply fancy taking in a Premier League football match who will get to choose whether they sit in the Upper or Lower Tier - whereas that same choice is not being afforded to so many STH's!

For me, giving those attendees priority over loyal Season Ticket Holders simply cannot be right.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2430 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

^^ Existing STHs losing out on lower tier tickets is a good point but I suspect that if the number of STs sold is high the club may change that policy.

The only people I "look down on" are those that were very vocal in favour of the OS, stating clearly that they would buy a ST there (normally coming up with reasons about travel time), but now have a different excuse.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by clawhammer »

When all STs are sold I would not expect tickets to go beyond Members....for the first season at least! The OS will be sold out for every game.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

clawhammer wrote:When all STs are sold I would not expect tickets to go beyond Members....for the first season at least! The OS will be sold out for every game.
I read that the 54k will be broken down like this (League matches):
  • ~ 40k Season Tickets
    ~ 6k Away allocation (max.)
    ~ 9k Home section Matchday Tickets (min. - depending on away allocation taken)
Do you happen to know how many Members the club has?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

5,000 freebies to the local community !
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:^^ Existing STHs losing out on lower tier tickets is a good point but I suspect that if the number of STs sold is high the club may change that policy.

The only people I "look down on" are those that were very vocal in favour of the OS, stating clearly that they would buy a ST there (normally coming up with reasons about travel time), but now have a different excuse.
To be fair mate, the fact it's going to only take me 12 minutes on a train to Stratford from my nearest station is one of the only positives I can take from this move.

I will most definitely be able to attend more games, especially week-nights - and who knows, I might be able to get a ST again.

I didn't want to move, but I've got to get used to it because no matter what, it's happening. I may as well try and enjoy it. No point being miserable about it for the rest of my days. I would be shooting myself in the foot.
Mr_Rook

Post by Mr_Rook »

as long as the away fans and day tripper spend money then let them come i genuinely dont care about day trippers, look at day trippers for Chelsea, arsenal and Man United its due to these that they have such decent income from kit purchases etc....

I want us to use to opportunity to get back to where we belong and that's being a force in English football, to long now we have been a yoyo club we have decent owners and a great fan base its massively time to kick on
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Mr_Rook wrote:as long as the away fans and day tripper spend money then let them come i genuinely dont care about day trippers, look at day trippers for Chelsea, arsenal and Man United its due to these that they have such decent income from kit purchases etc....
is that what football has sunk to, ££££££££
Mr_Rook wrote:I want us to use to opportunity to get back to where we belong and that's being a force in English football, to long now we have been a yoyo club we have decent owners and a great fan base its massively time to kick on
Back to where we belong ?
In 115 years, highest we finished
3rd once, 5th once, 6th about 7 times, only ever finished in top 10 3 times on the trot once.
Looking at the league table were about where we belong.
The owners and the move are creating a bubble around West Ham, how it's going to propel West Ham into the top table, but the income even with the stadium is not there, many look at Man City but look at their positions after the move and before the Arabs, mid table mediocrity
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Mr_Rook wrote: I want us to use to opportunity to get back to where we belong and that's being a force in English football, to long now we have been a yoyo club we have decent owners and a great fan base its massively time to kick on
Newcastle have a big stadium but I'm not sure that their fans view their current position as where they belong.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Been following home and away since 1979 , done the north , Midlands and London on night games , followed us in Div 1 , championship , been to such glam places as Plainmoor , Boundary Park , Ewood , Ashton gate , Manor GRound , Eastville , County ground as well as the Prem grounds , been member for loads of years 3 generations of my family ( will be 4 soon) have and will remain Hammers , can afford but have never got a season ticket due to the number of games that are moved to Sun /mon and the 400 mile round trip but I am on the list and will get 2 Band 5 if I can , I guarantee I don't wear 50/50 scarfs and know the name of all our players , you would much rather have me next to you than the plus 2s who support other teams so be careful with the vitorol and description of non STH
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

cockney farmer wrote:Been following home and away since 1979 , done the north , Midlands and London on night games , followed us in Div 1 , championship , been to such glam places as Plainmoor , Boundary Park , Ewood , Ashton gate , Manor GRound , Eastville ,
Anyone with an once of common sense knows that the term ' daytripper ' is not aimed at yourself or any West Ham supporter who has supported the club from a far and goes when they can. Its aimed at the tourist who will be going because its a club in a city full of holiday makers and they will be able to get a ticket. Which will unfortunately be located in a section that should be for more a deserved type of supporter. Like yourself and many others.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

^^^^^
Surprised it need to be said, but nail on the head TaffHammer. :thup: