Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

JohnLyall
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Hodgson: let's see if his no Hammers policy is vindicated.

Post by JohnLyall »

Another player I would've took - not one of ours - is Ryan Shawcross.

Say what you like about him, but neither of those goals last night would've got past him.

I hate Hodgson. Really do.

Anyway what a difference 50 years makes. 1966 West Ham win the World Cup. 2016 Tottenham lose to f###ing Iceland :lol:
I like that quote. Might get a t-shirt printed:
"What a difference 50 years makes... 1966 West Ham win the World Cup. 2016 Tottenham lose to Iceland at the Euros!!"
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

goof wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmELgWKUkAAkuW6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like it.....
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Note to next England manager : YOU MUST HAVE WEST HAM PLAYERS IN THE SIDE IF ENGLAND ARE TO WIN A TROPHY ! This is a fact and history has proven it to be so.

:scarfer:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The true Geordie is spot on

Especially about Townsend & Antonio
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

e17 wrote:The true Geordie is spot on

Especially about Townsend & Antonio
To be fair most people doubted his selections from the start. Good to hear other fans and pundits talk about the ommission of our players as it shows that it is not just a few bias fans on here. I also thought we should have taken Townsend as he was showing form despite playing for a relegated club.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Sloffy wrote: Anyway what a difference 50 years makes. 1966 West Ham win the World Cup. 2016 Tottenham lose to f###ing Iceland
Genius, I am pinching that.
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

There will be arguments for either side of the coin regarding picking only players in form etc

But the one thing that has to be adhered to is if a player isn't playing - be it due to injury or just not being picked for the side they chose to go to for a huge amount of money knowing full well they would be hard pushed to be in the first team - then they shouldn't be picked for the squad whatsoever.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

XIRONSX wrote:There will be arguments for either side of the coin regarding picking only players in form etc

But the one thing that has to be adhered to is if a player isn't playing - be it due to injury or just not being picked for the side they chose to go to for a huge amount of money knowing full well they would be hard pushed to be in the first team - then they shouldn't be picked for the squad whatsoever.
I don't think there should be any such rule and the manager should be allowed to use their discretion. The problem is that Hodgson made the wrong choices, it needn't always be the case that picking players not having played regularly is bad though most of the time it will be.
XIRONSX

Post by XIRONSX »

bobcar wrote: I don't think there should be any such rule and the manager should be allowed to use their discretion. The problem is that Hodgson made the wrong choices, it needn't always be the case that picking players not having played regularly is bad though most of the time it will be.
Oh no I agree it shouldn't be a rule and should be down to the manager - but for our current squad, I fail to see how that train of thought is not followed.

If at some point in the next few years we have a player like Ronaldo, Payet or Bale who is head and shoulders above everyone around them then gambling on an injury recovery is kind of justified .... but we definitely don't have anyone near that type of player and it definitely isn't Jack Wilshere.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Same old b*llocks select out of form and unfit players you get what you deserve, we never learn.

No true width, no real plan, players who were never going to play, disaster written all over it.

If you only have the ability to play down the middle you have to be exceptional to pick teams apart we weren't

By woy, it's been ****
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

just one word "Team" that is what England lack , team ethic, we are just a bunch of big headed multi millionaires who have smoke blown up thier arse each week by thier fans, manager, pundits on v and they think thats it i am invincible but they are bang average compared to graftng players who work as a unit.
Nothing will ever happen for England until we learn to work and show some spirit.
I would rather watch Iceland , Wales and teams of that ilk any day of the week,
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

I don't buy all the big headed multi millionaire nonsense. You had a hungry bunch of players bar 1 or 2 who would have been desperate to succeed. It's unfortunate for us that the manager was a stubborn moron!
No other national manager takes injured players and I'm pretty sure no other national manager would play the countries leading goal scorer in a holding midfield role!
Can you honestly see mourinho playing him in that position?
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

XIRONSX wrote:but we definitely don't have anyone near that type of player and it definitely isn't Jack Wilshere.
TBH Gerrard is the only english player to have been in that position this century. And arguably even he made a point of troughing for tournaments

I don't have a problem with your original premise either: if you're not good enough to consistently make the first eleven at your club, I've no idea why you'd ever expect to be picked for England. The same is true for the sicknotes - if you've spent 90% of the season on the treatment table, you're nowhere near sharp enough to play for the national team.

I actually think that Wilshere, Sterling and, probably, Sturridge should have all refused the call-up.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Stories/ gossip/rumours now coming out that players, staff and FA all had doubts about the selection from the start.

It started at the Portugal friendly when Woy was still trying to get a formation that suited the players he was looking at, but he failed in that game due to the sending off. It all went downhill after that.

My guess, and it is just my opinion, is that Wooney got the arse because he knew that on form, match fit players had been dropped in favour of Sterling, Wiltshire and Rashford.

Players know best what is going on in the game. They know who is best suited to which position, etc, etc.

From that point all certain players and coaches just lost all respect for Hodgson.

but then again, the fans all knew what a tosser he was years ago.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

I'll hold my hands up and say I was actually quite pleased when Hodgson was appointed. I thought we'd get away from accommodating big names out of position, 'big' club selections and so on. He seemed a 'football man'. Not sure what happened but he ended up being guilty of all those failings and more. Glad to see the back of him now.

Much as I was happy to see Allardyce leave us, put him in charge. Get the team built from the back playing a certain 'style', then start to evolve it. Appoint Carlton as his assistant, let him do all the press conferences and interviews, and watch the goodwill return. :)
Last edited by CMNinja on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Heads need to roll for not sacking him after the abysmal showing in Brazil in 2014.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Picking Leighton Baines over Ashley Cole in 2014 still remains the single worst decision I've ever seen from an England manager.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Watching the 2nd or 3rd French goal against Iceland made me realize the damage Andy Carroll could have done against that Iceland defence if he had been part of the squad as an impact sub.

Good riddance Woy
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Picking Leighton Baines over Ashley Cole in 2014 still remains the single worst decision I've ever seen from an England manager.
Still Theo Walcott for me
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Poor Jermaine Defoe, Walcott taken instead of him in 2006, then Rashford instead of him in 2016.