What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 pm

The pub thread got me thinking, we used to have a restaurant type thread (for London I think?), so if it's good enough for pubs....

I had lunch at Lutyens on Fleet Street today. http://www.lutyens-restaurant.com/

Seems very popular as busy all through lunch. Very limited menu which was disappointing as I can't eat dairy so my choice was limited to one main course, which to be fair was ok but nothing special.

Two main courses, a bottle of water and one coffee came to £75.

As you can probably tell, not overly enamoured so a 4/10
hammerdivone

Re: What Restaurant have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby delbert on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 am

Mc Donalds in Dagenham, the one by the Vue cinema. Despite being rammed with bingo infatuated tarts, p*****, the recently arrived ignorant and gormless locals, we got served our nutritious food quite quickly and managed to enjoy it whilst sitting in the company of Jimahl and his chums.
I didn't tip...................
delbert

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:15 am

Great idea for a thread. I'll be posting a bit as eating out is one of my hobbies. Today was Vesuvio Caffe Limehouse.

http://vesuvio.letseat.at/

I love it here. Matteo, the owner is a Napoli and WHU fan and is always up for talking football. Hammers are always welcome here! The food is very decent and authentic Italian. He doesn't really do fry ups per say but he does a variant on the English Breakfast which is very good. Great Panini's and other Italian bread sandwiches which are busting with what you have asked for inside. Top salads - he'll make you what you want if you don't see what you like - seriously good Pizza's and home made specials every day. A great atmosphere, TV on the wall if you want to watch news/sport (subtitles) free bread with every order and a nice cup of coffee.

The staff are very friendly and always willing to help. It's reasonable re prices and you can buy beer/wine there is you are so inclined, which is also a reasonable price. It also does Italian Gelato ice cream which is wonderful. Free papers magazines at all times.

When a big event is on - world cup/Euros play offs - Matteo gets his big TV outside the caffe and serves up late and sells booze while you can watch the game al fresco. Veggie friendly and doesn't open Sundays.

Not the best caffe in the world as the web sites clams, but it isn't far from it!
WHU Independent

Postby ooh look who it is on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 am

Not today but I was in this one the other week in Roscrea. Had a carvery and was literally falling off the plate. A fine selection on offer too of different meats and they cut slabs of it off. 9/10

http://www.rackethallhotel.com/dine-wine.htm

I also this one too as recommended by Ageing Hammer on here. Lovely restaurant in Cork ideal for families. 8.5/10

http://scoozis.ie

Also went to some steak restaurant on The Strand the other week. Can't even remember the name but it was ok. A bit shy on the meat and sides. Ended up filling up on cocktails which was probably what they wanted.

Off to The Plough in Mountnessing this week so will report back.

Good thread.
ooh look who it is

Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Postby Harry Hound on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

WHU Independent wrote:Great idea for a thread. I'll be posting a bit as eating out is one of my hobbies. Today was Vesuvio Caffe Limehouse.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be checking this place out. :thup:
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:03 am

hammerdivone wrote:Two main courses, a bottle of water and one coffee came to £75.

You f***ing mug Image
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Claretdave on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:10 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Two main courses, a bottle of water and one coffee came to £75.

You f***ing mug Image

I have been to Lutyens. Quite liked it. It wasn't that expensive when I went. Did you have the Panda steak and that coffee that comes from cat poo?

Edit - ah, Sole Menieure...http://www.lutyens-restaurant.com/downl ... e-menu.pdf
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild

Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Postby Estuary on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Jamies, Westfield, Stratford 1.30 pm booking Sunday 21st.

We had a table for six, on arriving a short notice addition of a seventh person was no problem.
Garlic bread for the table, I ordered spicey sausage cassarecce, decent enough. I and five others had a bottle of Moretti beer, one had Heineken, one stuck to tap water, some of us had wine, Montepulciano, we had three or four jugs of iced table water.
Seated up stairs it was a bit warm, the service was good considering it was frantic busy. We met a lot of fellow lounge dwellers who had mugged off the lunch, and one legend, our seventh guest. Hopefully we will be seated outside tomorrow night.

The bill came to £179.

7/10

(PS- Had we gone to our lounge for lunch the bill would have been north of £550, the three course menu being £69 a head, wine at circ £50a bottle, and the same beer £4.50 each)
Estuary

Postby Rocket on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't doubt that you made the right choice, Estuary!
Rocket

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:32 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:You f***ing mug Image

Expenses 8-)
hammerdivone

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Make em count bruv.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby hammer_lad on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 pm

The ivy market grill, Covent Garden.

Went for the 2 course theatre menu for that reason.

Was decently priced but was nothing better than Ok-ish food. Main was a minute steak which was extra and which while big, was quite chewy and didn't taste of galic butter at all. Chips were pretty decent.

Service very good and came to just over 50 odd quid for 2 x 2 courses 1 alcoholic drink and 1 soft drink so pretty reasonable.

so 6/10
hammer_lad

Postby ohsnap on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 am

Not sure I would consider it a restaurant, more like nando's type place where you order at the tills and take a seat but I went to Shake Shack in Westfields before the game on Sunday. Fancied a decent burger and it was meant to be good.

Really impressed, burger was one of the nicest I have had, served quick, hot and although it was a bit pricey it was worth it for the quality of the food. They also had a Shake Shack Ale which was served from the tap, not normally a massive ale drinker but really nice.

Would recommend if anyone wants a quick meal and pint before the games.
ohsnap

Postby BalaamBoy on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:52 am

Here's an excerpt from my food blog . . . seems applicable.

Over the course of the last few months, I’ve had more than one occasion to eat in London. Each time is a new experience, and it is harder and harder to keep up with all the new places to try. So here are a few of the older/more established ones that I’ve been to recently.

Foxlow - excellent small and buzzing venue, just to the north of Smithfield. I wasn’t that hungry at the time (for the life of me I can’t remember why), so I really didn’t think that I could do justice to the range of rather succulent and large steaks on offer, so I had their burger, accompanied by some tallow-fried chips and a couple of glasses of house white wine. Really good service, and tasty food. 9/10

Hix & Oyster - just around the corner from Foxlow is this large open restaurant down a quiet back street. OK, it’s not cheap, let’s get that out of the way immediately, but my goodness it’s worth it. I had a steak and oyster pie - large pieces of steak in a rich perfectly seasoned gravy, all washed down with a couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc (this white wine thing is becoming a habit). This coupled with the attentive and helpful service made the evening a complete pleasure, which at 50 squid a head it should be. 9/10

Newman St Tavern – I’d heard good things about this place, so I was very interested to test it out of a lunchtime. And it was very pleasant, with good service, decent pub food, flavoursome craft beer, but it wasn’t outstanding by any means, and the menu was somewhat limited. And since it wasn’t exactly cheap, the score is a little lower. 6/10. It’s a pub, with some restaurant aspirations.

Zetters Seymour Street – trendy little ‘antique’ bar of a rather swanky looking hotel. The cocktails were fabulous, as you would expect, but the food was a little less inspiring, no more than bar snacks really, but priced much higher. 9/10 for the drinks, 6/10 for the food.

Bar Terminii – really small café/cocktail bar just behind Cambridge Circus. Go for the espresso coffees and the Negronis which are absolutely excellent, faultless in fact, but it’s rather limited to those times when you a) fancy a Negroni or b) fancy a little coffee. This is a 15-20 minute stop en route for something else, but it’s well worth the detour. 9/10

Union Street Café – large open, semi-industrial building just south of the South Bank and part of Gordon Ramsay’s culinary empire. That aside, I tell you what, the food is spanking!! Italian style in Tapas format, I was lucky enough to be able to try a range of products off the menu, since I was there for a tasting rather than a meal. Really impressed by the meatballs, in fact I could have eaten those all day. Sadly let down by the cocktails which were imaginative, but overloaded with different ingredients to the extent that the tastes and flavours become confused, and what I was left with was more like an alcoholic Vimto. Definitely will return for a meal, but would probably stick to wine. 8/10

Perfectionist’s café – finally a star alliance flight via Terminal 2 gave me the opportunity to try out Heston’s café. I had the wood-fired oven baked Pizza; wasn’t especially impressed by the choices offered on the menu so I took a Margarita to which I added some smoked anchovies, and it was bloody lovely – a little less crispy than I was expecting, but the sauce was delicious. 8/10 but how often do I use Swissair to get to London? 8/10

Bad Egg – I always thought that you couldn’t go wrong with an English breakfast, but I have been wrong so many times – overcooked eggs, tasteless or over-herbed sausages, bland bacon etc etc. Fortunately NONE of this can apply to Bad Egg in Moorgate! Top level bacon, sausage and egg, all prepared skillfully and presented in one bun. A perfect start to any day in London, but take the cappuccino not the filter coffee. 8/10

I also thought I’d make a burger comparison while I was there – the chain, the trendy and the family restaurant approach to the same product.

Byron – is almost a ubiquitous chain of upmarket burger bars, which weren’t around (to my knowledge) only a few years ago. I ate there purely for the purpose of research, mind. Well, I certainly wasn’t disappointed by the burger, which was generous, well cooked and very meaty, or the coffee which was smooth and had plenty of character, but I don’t know when or why I would go back, as it occupies that no-man’s land between Burger King and individual restaurants. 7/10

Shake Shack – so many friends of varying ages from youngsters to oldies like me had told me that I had to try Shake Shack. So I did. It’s 8.30, I’m walking through Covent Garden, I hadn’t eaten and there it was, just upstairs from the Punch & Judy, with almost no queue to speak of, so I thought I might as well give it a go. Do you know what? It was that uninspiring of an experience that I cannot even remember what I ordered (it was either the Shack Burger or the Smoke Shack). I had to wait about ten minutes for it, so I’m assuming it was freshly made, but when it finally arrived the bun was soggy, the burger itself was tasty enough, but it was so small it was all gone in four mouthfuls. And all this disappointment for the princely sum of about seven quid. Spectacularly underwhelming, sorry guys, trendy or not it’s only a 4/10 from me.

Little Bay –what a find! Completely by chance, I’m looking at the menu in another restaurant window when an elderly couple (well not really elderly but older than me, not sure what to call them) said that I should try the one fifty yards up the road - great food, half the price and an opera singer thrown in! Tell you what, they weren’t wrong! Excellent food, decent wine, eccentric décor, great atmosphere with families and groups of friends eating and chatting and laughing, and over all of this a young lady was singing opera classics to a backing tape. Bloody excellent. To top it all, the angus burger and chips was first rate, and the house wine half decent, and in a very decent sized glass. And it was cheaper than Byron and only marginally more expensive than Shake Shack. Knocks spots off them both! 9/10
BalaamBoy

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:56 am

Made in Brasil , Inverness st, Camden

Funnily enough a Brasilian place where most of the staff couldn't speak whatever language they speak in Brasil as my dining companion had to translate the menu for them .

2 main course, 2 starters , 2 large bottles of water and a couple of cocktails came to £70 .Not bad .

The food was decent , ambience good and the afters exceptional .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Los Martillos on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Sagar, Covent Garden - southern Indian vegetarian. Amazing. Even as a total meat eater I was really taken with it. Fantastic food. Not that cheap mind..
Los Martillos

Postby Chinners92 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 am

BalaamBoy wrote:Shake Shack – so many friends of varying ages from youngsters to oldies like me had told me that I had to try Shake Shack. So I did. It’s 8.30, I’m walking through Covent Garden, I hadn’t eaten and there it was, just upstairs from the Punch & Judy, with almost no queue to speak of, so I thought I might as well give it a go. Do you know what? It was that uninspiring of an experience that I cannot even remember what I ordered (it was either the Shack Burger or the Smoke Shack). I had to wait about ten minutes for it, so I’m assuming it was freshly made, but when it finally arrived the bun was soggy, the burger itself was tasty enough, but it was so small it was all gone in four mouthfuls. And all this disappointment for the princely sum of about seven quid. Spectacularly underwhelming, sorry guys, trendy or not it’s only a 4/10 from me.

Little Bay –what a find! Completely by chance, I’m looking at the menu in another restaurant window when an elderly couple (well not really elderly but older than me, not sure what to call them) said that I should try the one fifty yards up the road - great food, half the price and an opera singer thrown in! Tell you what, they weren’t wrong! Excellent food, decent wine, eccentric décor, great atmosphere with families and groups of friends eating and chatting and laughing, and over all of this a young lady was singing opera classics to a backing tape. Bloody excellent. To top it all, the angus burger and chips was first rate, and the house wine half decent, and in a very decent sized glass. And it was cheaper than Byron and only marginally more expensive than Shake Shack. Knocks spots off them both! 9/10

I went to Shake Shack on Shaftesbury Avenue for a quick bite to eat about a month ago before meeting a mate for a drink and I kinda agree with you. I think inside it looks great and I had the veggie burger which was a mushroom and cheese patty and was lovely, however I must've waited at least 15 minutes. I actually read the founder's book (a guy called Danny Meyer who owns Union Square Cafe in New York) so really wanted to check it out but was slightly disappointed.

Little Bay I've been going to since 2010! It's great value for money in such a brilliant location. The interior, food portions, flavour and value are second to none. It's such a great area to go out in as well - there's a Belgian pub around the corner and a bar called Piano Works just the down the road, which are great for a few drinks!

Busaba on Old Street - I went here for lunch on Wednesday which was good. I'd give it an 8/10. It's Thai food and you get a lemongrass tea (i know), a starter and main for £10 at lunch and it's good stuff. I'd recommend the satay chicken.
Chinners92

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 pm

This afternoon I visited The Canary for the first time.

http://thecanary.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is the combination of a Veggie/Vegan sandwich shop and hairdressers!

It carries wide range of healthy fast food - Double egg and spinach sandwich on artisan bread with a spicy cream-like sauce, a veggie bacon butty, mushroom and salad burgers, various salads and other small bites etc - plus a wide range of coffee and tea, including a lovely cup of Earl Grey (my fave) with vanilla.

It was slightly over priced but the food was lovely mostly - I had a sandwich and a butty - and filled a hole. Music and atmosphere was very ambient and slightly arty - but it was a very relaxing place, decorated in a bright clean white. Free wi-fi with a very good signal. Full of single women, it would appear ;)

I'd go back, without hesitation, my only qualms are the price and the fact that the vegan bacon butty was so salty, I would probably never order it next time.
WHU Independent

Postby Rocketron on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Two questions,
WTF is a veggie bacon butty?
What's the difference between a butty and a sandwich?
Rocketron

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 pm

La Chimere - Aix en Provence

Steak and fries followed by Creme Brûlée. Amazing

My wife had the posh options but mine was definitely better.
Mega Ron

Next

Return to The Snug