The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: The 2016 summer transfer thread

Post by floydie_hammer »

Agreed. Even if we'd got silly money for a key player it would still go against the claim that we are building and not just a shop window for people wanting to play for a 'bigger club'
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Leicester have not acted like league champions that want to give the Champions League a go, they might have kept Mahrez and Albert Steptoe but they have not added anywhere near enough quality and capitalized on the money and status that their success has brought them, it's like they've accepted last year was a one off and mid table at best is what they'll now settle for.

Leeds United 92/93 all over again.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Jumby wrote:Leicester have not acted like league champions that want to give the Champions League a go, they might have kept Mahrez and Albert Steptoe but they have not added anywhere near enough quality and capitalized on the money and status that their success has brought them, it's like they've accepted last year was a one off and mid table at best is what they'll now settle for.

Can you blame them ?
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

Jumby wrote:Leicester have not acted like league champions that want to give the Champions League a go, they might have kept Mahrez and Albert Steptoe but they have not added anywhere near enough quality and capitalized on the money and status that their success has brought them, it's like they've accepted last year was a one off and mid table at best is what they'll now settle for.

I don't think they have done that badly. The reason they have done well is because they haven't bought big names. Musa and Slimani are both very good players though.
*dicanio*
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by *dicanio* »

Plus, the whole footballing world knows it was a one-off; they'll be nowhere near this season and if you're a top player where are you if you join; playing mid-table perm football and living in Leicester :thdn:
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

One thing that greatly surprised me yet doesn't seem to have been mentioned as far as I can see, is the departure of promising youngsters like Leo Chambers, Nathan Mavila, Jordan Brown and most surprising of all, Oscar Borg, who I thought was regarded as the next wonderkid following Oxford. I'd read articles about how we had managed to convince him to stay despite his pusuit by Manchester United, yet now he's off to Villa with narry a whisper. And yet Westley is not only retained but registered on our senior squad list :thdn:

Sadly Diego Poyet has gone too. I had such high hopes for him. I can't understand why Charlton haven't made an instant move to snap up the prodigal son, their former best player. Maybe they will but there seems a lot of bitterness and schadenfreude over his having left them for us and then failed. He seems a really grounded and decent young fellah though, I hope it works out for him. At least he relies on his own ability instead of getting by on who his father is.

While on the subject of Charlton, posters on here and other sources, notably Charlton fans, have been raving about their 18 year old striker Ademola Lookman, who a mate at work assures me is a prodigious talent who will soon have the big clubs fighting for his signature. If I were the owners I would approach Charlton with an offer to buy him outright now (or as soon as we can scrape togeher the dosh) for £5m with an immediate two-year free loan (i.e. wages only) back to Charlton.
carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Post by carnage »

Is Idris any relation to Nwanku?
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 611 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Charlton are not really open to any sensible arrangement at the mo...
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Nwanku Elba? .... never heard of him. :)
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1483 likes
Total likes: 3063 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Leicester have spent money and probably spent it well...not sure what exactly was expected but you don't go and replace too many players when youve just won the title. Slimani, Musa and Mendy are all good signings straight off the bat, and Bartosz Kapustka could catch the eye.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

I've been impressed with Musa. He's the kind of forward I wanted us to sign. Tricky and skillful.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1082 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

But he can't finish his dinner
Modern
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

Surprised Liecester have not impressed some. Think their business looks well thought out with a fair upgrade in quality as well. Kane departure aside.

They won the title by being smart, seeing undervalued players and putting them in a system they could perform. They have proved they can win titles doing this so why start chasing money signings now? They can't compete doing that and it would probably damage the togetherness their success is built on.

I doubt they will win the title again but It is almost unfair to expect that I think.

That's what worries me about the Sissoko signing at Spurs it appears to be a step away from the philosophy.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 194 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Modern wrote: Kane departure aside.
typo or freudian slip? :)
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

claret parrot wrote:One thing that greatly surprised me yet doesn't seem to have been mentioned as far as I can see, is the departure of promising youngsters like Leo Chambers, Nathan Mavila, Jordan Brown and most surprising of all, Oscar Borg, who I thought was regarded as the next wonderkid following Oxford. I'd read articles about how we had managed to convince him to stay despite his pusuit by Manchester United, yet now he's off to Villa with narry a whisper. And yet Westley is not only retained but registered on our senior squad list :thdn:
We had to name him as he's an overage player who's on our books, didn't we? The whole situation around him is bloody fishy though, and I wish we didn't have him on our books at all.

I was surprised by Borg going too. I'm even more surprised that one of our hotly tipped youngsters in Kanu is allowed to have a trial with Man United. Are we unable to block that or something, because he's only on a youth contract?
damo
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by damo »

YorksHammer wrote:
I was surprised by Borg going too. I'm even more surprised that one of our hotly tipped youngsters in Kanu is allowed to have a trial with Man United. Are we unable to block that or something, because he's only on a youth contract?
We can't block it as he's too young to sign a professional contract. That's how we managed to nick Quina off Chelsea. Works both ways, I guess.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

claret parrot wrote: who a mate at work assures me is a prodigious talent who will soon have the big clubs fighting for his signature. If I were the owners I would approach Charlton with an offer to buy him outright now (or as soon as we can scrape togeher the dosh) for £5m with an immediate two-year free loan (i.e. wages only) back to Charlton.
Sorry but that made me chuckle. A mate at work reckons he's good so I'd throw £5million on him without thinking and not see him for two years :lol:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

YorksHammer wrote: I was surprised by Borg going too. I'm even more surprised that one of our hotly tipped youngsters in Kanu is allowed to have a trial with Man United. Are we unable to block that or something, because he's only on a youth contract?
damo wrote: We can't block it as he's too young to sign a professional contract. That's how we managed to nick Quina off Chelsea. Works both ways, I guess.
Don't worry chaps. David Gold says if we sit down, we'll have 66,000 people, and be a big fish, and stuff like this won't happen anymore! :scarfer:
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

For anyone who needs cheering up today.....Nottingham Forest poised to sign Nicklas Bendtner who is currently a free agent.

Anyone who may have forgotten what a knob this bloke looks like (and is)....here's a quick reminder;

Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Good signing for them imo.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.