West Ham Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough (01/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Middlesbrough: match thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Kouyate out, Lanzini in probably transforms that whole game for us. He looks disinterested or knackered does Cheik. Say what you want about Noble, but I saw him deeper than Kouyate during most of their attacks, and he still made a lot more contribution in the final third.

Obiang was excellent.

The real catch 22 for me is that we looked a lot more solid with Ogbonna at left back, but without a full back overlapping Payet he lacks space to work in when wide. I thought Oggy did really well, especially making some good runs that were unnatural to his game, but I can't wait for Cresswell to return.

Antonio looked a bit poor again. Looks a hard player to manage, never really know where hes going to be or what hes going to do.

Think i'd play the second half team with Feghouli for Antonio and Lanzini for Kouyate next week, then move Ogbonna to Collins's place once a left back is fit.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Iron-worx wrote:
There's got to be some reason why Zaza isn't doing it though as he must have had some attributes to score at the rate he was doing.

My gut feeling is is hearts not really in it and he's missing home, especially his 'It' girl girlfriend. Just appears to be going through the motions and would rather kick it at Juve still from the bench.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

2 shots on target against a piss poor side ain't good enough.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Noble did very little wrong...

Kayoute did very little....

But..The manager is messing them both about. Early last season when we played well, Noble and Kayoute were effective playing deep. Since his forwards have been so toothless Bilic has been asking them both to do it at both ends and they aint that type of player.

Obiang followed his good performance against Accrington with another yesterday and should definitely displace Kayoute

Noble still to retain his place.His first time accurate touches usually go under the radar and he rarely loses possession
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

irving boleyn wrote:Noble did very little wrong...

Kayoute did very little....

But..The manager is messing them both about. Early last season when we played well, Noble and Kayoute were effective playing deep. Since his forwards have been so toothless Bilic has been asking them both to do it at both ends and they aint that type of player.

Obiang followed his good performance against Accrington with another yesterday and should definitely displace Kayoute

Noble still to retain his place.His first time accurate touches usually go under the radar and he rarely loses possession
Agree! yesterday on Twitter some so called fans were saying Noble is more a championship player and the worst on the pitch, no mention of Tore's performance, people around me used to often call Bobby Moore as too slow, but it was what he did with the ball, only now do so many appreciate what he did.

Good job Payet gave everything for his goal, some of our front men don't seem to know how to score, people seem all over the place, we are not playing like last season, was just glad to get away, will say nothing about some of our so called fans, and get home.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

To me Noble created a few of the issues by slowing or sideway or back way passing he was leaving the guys running forward for a pass out of position or left with having to run back and after doing that for twenty minutes I can see why some players would look dejected and jogging back...

One issue that we all seem to agree on is positioning and running off ball or running back.. to me it's not just the way Noble slows or back tracks it also the backs hoofing it... it must be annoying and frustrating for the forwards chasing a hoof without much success then having to run back only to get it hoofed again and again..

Someone mentioned the size of the OS pitch being bigger than the BG pitch... anyone know if that's true? And if so how much?

If it is I'm guessing we did enlarge it to either meet FIFA or UEFA requirements for competition matches (finals etc) or we did it to make the space between seats and pitch look closer ..

Again if that is true surely that must make a difference to our players given they aren't allowed to train on it at the moment...

Then I also wonder if the Rush Green training pitch is the same size as OS pitch? As that would surely effect a lot of our play/positioning at the OS
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

We just miss Carroll Jaybs. Add him to the squad and we'd be laughing
thewhirlwind
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

Think the main problem is you need 11 good players on the pitch...If u have 1 or 2 who are absolute cack
you're gonna be struggling
I'd love Sullivan to come out and say who was responsible for the new recruits cos apart from possibly Ayew
they all look piss poor
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Boleyn Ground pitch size 110 x 70 yards, Stratford is 115 x 74.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Colours never run wrote:
There's got to be some reason why Zaza isn't doing it though as he must have had some attributes to score at the rate he was doing.

My gut feeling is is hearts not really in it and he's missing home, especially his 'It' girl girlfriend. Just appears to be going through the motions and would rather kick it at Juve still from the bench.
Heart ain't in it?? Workrate wise I don't think there is anyone putting in a shift like he is...
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Cheers Johnny...

Anyone Think that difference would be enough to throw out a players sense of space..?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

sutts07 wrote:Can't believe how much Noble is getting dug out when Kouyate is
He didn't do anything yesterday. He didn't put in a tackle of note, didn't cover that much ground didn't spring forward with the ball, wasn't dominent in the air... he offered nothing.

At least Noble got on the ball and tried to make a few things work. Even hit the bar with a cracking effort.

I've said before on here, Noble needs the players around him to be buzzin for him to be at his best. He needs movement around him and he needs Kouyate back to his best. If we can get all that to happen we will be fine.
I thought before the match, and still believe now, that both should be dropped.

Obiang should start with Lanzini, and Fernandez should be given a go.
bobbymooresbracelet

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Boleyn Ground pitch size 110 x 70 yards, Stratford is 115 x 74.
Shame we were unable to take the pitch with us.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Dropping Noble would leave us with just one Englishman in the starting 11 (with our current injury crisis).

Just saying, like.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Wilko1304 wrote:
Antonio looked a bit poor again. Looks a hard player to manage, never really know where hes going to be or what hes going to do.

mate, seriously? "Poor again"?

He's our leading scorer, he was played out of position and covered just about every blade of grass on the enlarged pitch. In short he worked his nuts off.

Poor? he's a bloody hero
bobbymooresbracelet

His shooting skills need improving .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

In my opinion Antonio could improve on everything with the exception of this heading. And that's not a bad thing, imagine if he did! We'd have one of the best players in the league on our hands
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Compare our effort, industry, fitness and urgency to Spurs. We got no chance at competing on skill but no reason why we should be so much worse on the other things
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Having just watched the first half of Spuds v City, the difference in energy and pace of the players compared to what I saw yesterday is startling. Even if our players are of lower quality than what I am watching now (and they mostly are), there is no excuse for our players to look so less fit and energetic. Whoever is responsible for our players fitness seems not to be doing his job properly.
bobbymooresbracelet

^
To be fair they were all on a well deserved piss up in the week.