West Ham Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough (01/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PassItToManu

Re: West Ham Utd v Middlesbrough: match thread

Post by PassItToManu »

johnnyb wrote:Having just watched the first half of Spuds v City, the difference in energy and pace of the players compared to what I saw yesterday is startling. Even if our players are of lower quality than what I am watching now (and they mostly are), there is no excuse for our players to look so less fit and energetic. Whoever is responsible for our players fitness seems not to be doing his job properly.
Turkish colleague gave me a very good insiht into Slaven's reign at Besiktas when he took over last season. During the second season at Besiktas a large group of players started complaning about the lack of good training-session & about far too many liberties for some players. Camp got divided pretty quickly and performances dipped.
aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Post by aitchayell »

Hate to say it but I wish that we could play like Spurs
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

PassItToManu wrote: Turkish colleague gave me a very good insiht into Slaven's reign at Besiktas when he took over last season. During the second season at Besiktas a large group of players started complaning about the lack of good training-session & about far too many liberties for some players. Camp got divided pretty quickly and performances dipped.
Probably one for the Billic thread but interesting nonetheless. I can imagine that being true to be fair. Any other players from the Euros miss as many games as Payet at their club?
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I took what Valencia said about West Ham's training with a pinch of salt but perhaps its true.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

aitchayell wrote:Hate to say it but I wish that we could play like Spurs
Play like Spurs.
Stadium like Arsenal.
Fans like Chelsea.

The owners dream.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

^ true :lol:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Glad it's not just me who thought other sides seem to be a lot fitter than us.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

smuts wrote:Glad it's not just me who thought other sides seem to be a lot fitter than us.

Also better organised.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

That's the difference between us this season, where the hell has the confidence and workrate gone? We can't even create any chances, the polar opposite of last season. We need to sort it out quickly or we WILL be relegated this season which is unthinkable considering some of the players we have. I still feel Cresswell is our biggest loss this season, he is a vital part of the way we play. People saying Payet and Lanzini can't play together etc is rubbish, we were unbelievable at times last season with link up play, overlaps and extra space being opened up all over the pitch with movement. We need to get back to that ASAP.
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

[quote="Yea Why Not"]In my opinion Antonio could improve on everything with the exception of this heading. And that's not a bad thing, imagine if he did! We'd have one of the best players in the league on our hands[/quot

And then we would have Christiano Ronaldo?? Are you for real Antonio is our best player by a long shot, if all the others put in the heart and determination like him we'd be a lot better team. Man of the match yesterday by a mile.
Q
rossmundo

Post by rossmundo »

"Yea Why Not"]In my opinion Antonio could improve on everything with the exception of this heading. And that's not a bad thing, imagine if he did! We'd have one of the best players in the league on our hands[/quote]

And then we would have Christiano Ronaldo?? Are you for real Antonio is our best player by a long shot, if all the others put in the heart and determination like him we'd be a lot better team. Man of the match yesterday by a mile.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

rossmundo wrote:
Q
As I said, I wasn't saying it as a bad thing. He could be a top top player if he improved in certain areas. And I think he can. He wasn't MOTM yesterday though
rossmundo

Post by rossmundo »

Yea Why Not wrote:
As I said, I wasn't saying it as a bad thing. He could be a top top player if he improved in certain areas. And I think he can. He wasn't MOTM yesterday though
If you can't see that he was man of the match yesterday, you was watching a different game to me then.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

aitchayell wrote:Hate to say it but I wish that we could play like Spurs
Best team in the league IMO. Saddens me but they are. Proper chairman in place and a proper plan. They'll only get better as well in their new stadium which they'll own which is a football stadium and which will earn them fortunes.

To think people said we had a better squad than them. Big, strong and powerful.

Meanwhile we can see how our "team fit for the OS" get on with our fantastic signings...Tore on loan, Calleri on loan, Zaza on loan ! Makes you vomit actually how we have been hoodwinked !!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Big George wrote: He's our leading scorer, he was played out of position and covered just about every blade of grass on the enlarged pitch. In short he worked his nuts off.

Poor? he's a bloody hero
Thought he looked poor this week and poor last week. Doesnt mean he hasnt scored those goals, although I think that has covered for poorer performances from him this year.

We need him playing cos of his goal threat, but he is below (his own) par on everything else this season. And not the only one, by a long way, but he isnt exempt
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

PassItToManu wrote: Turkish colleague gave me a very good insiht into Slaven's reign at Besiktas when he took over last season. During the second season at Besiktas a large group of players started complaning about the lack of good training-session & about far too many liberties for some players. Camp got divided pretty quickly and performances dipped.
Only trouble with it ,is that it is not true,more points and better cup runs in his second season.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Burnley Hammer wrote:How many of Collins and Reids punts forward have actually resulted in something positive?
Aceface wrote: As pointed out on MOTD, Reid gets credited with an assist for Payet's goal Image
I thought Reid had another couple of good long balls the week before against Southampton. One was a long diagonal to Antonio outside the box, where he nodded it down for Zaza for an attempt. The other was a through ball to Feghouli along the ground to start an attack on the right. I'm also sure that Collin's last league game before Boro, he made the long pass to the right to start the play leading to our goal.

Reid is always good for a couple of those kinds of passes each game. Probably doesn't get the credit for those because like Collins, he does like to hook it up field but there is a difference between lumping it when called upon defensively and making a pass from the back.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Antonio has been shunted right back, right mid and now up front. He ran his plums off yesterday for the shirt. Yes some of the shots are smashed with ridiculous power into the stands, yes some of the passes are wayward but f*** me I love a trier in that beautiful claret and blue of ours.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

frankiemac wrote:
Heart ain't in it?? Workrate wise I don't think there is anyone putting in a shift like he is...

Could have fooled me. I do agree that he makes an effort for some of the balls, but far too infrequent for my liking. Other times I've noticed him both dawdling back in to position, as well as not making enough movement for the ball. He's been caught far too static at times and that I don't like to see and against Boro, he only played for one half! The occasional charging down of the ball may impress you, but it's not enough for me.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Anyone else notice the deliberate boot straight into touch from the kick off? Seen this done before years ago (was it Kitson?). Back then, they had placed a bet on the time for the first throw in. This time? It was strange that's for sure. Antonio seemed to want no part in it. He was originally over the ball to kick off, but then walked away to be outside the centre circle. I think Nobes kicked off - so who kicked it out?