Crystal Palace 0-1 West Ham Utd (15/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham - Match Thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Lovejoy2 wrote:Oh and Zaza is gonna score sooner or later!
No, he won't, because he is ****
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Anyone know if Carroll Sakho and Cresswell are going to be fit enough for selection, then I will pick my team.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Stepney wrote:
We said that about the Southampton game. And Middlesbrough. It aint gona happen mate. Yesterday it became apparant that the problem is actuallly very simple......We don't have enough quality on the pitch. All the hard work in the World won't change that. We 'nicked' a lot of results last year but have been found out this year.

Palace will demolish us. And they'll outsing us as well. We've got nothing left.
Did you honestly believe that last year? We were 2 awful end-of-season results away from a CL place across a 38-game season. I remember many people at the time, pundits and fans, pointing to how many points we'd actually dropped due to terrible ref decisions going against us (Chelsea and Leicester spring to mind).

There's always these wild fluctuations in opinion about how good our players and manager actually are depending on how well we're doing at that particular point in time, with very little regard for the bigger picture. At the other end of the spectrum, I recall someone at the start of the season saying that we had better players than Chelsea (!).

If we nicked our way to a record points haul last year with poor personnel then our manager is a genius, yet there's another thread with people discussing getting rid of him.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I'd take a draw now.

Obiang has to start, Tore no where near the first XI please.

Payet will have some good memories of this place but other than a free kick or pen, I don't know how we're gonna score.

Anyway the rot began to stop on Saturday and we've got ages to work on our many issues :scarfer:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ageing hammer wrote:Anyone know if Carroll Sakho and Cresswell are going to be fit enough for selection, then I will pick my team.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This is a fixture where over the years, we traditionally do well
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

ageing hammer wrote:Anyone know if Carroll Sakho and Cresswell are going to be fit enough for selection, then I will pick my team.

Sakho is fit

He doesn't want to play

Gone in January
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Jinxed wrote:

Sakho is fit

He doesn't want to play

Gone in January

So I hope, will Gold and Sullivan
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Jinxed, do you know if Sakho is being paid while he 'doesn't want to play'?
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Jinxed, do you know if Sakho is being paid while he 'doesn't want to play'?
I would have thought that if that was the case then he's in breach of contract so not.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

In what other profession can you say that you don't want to do your job and still get paid?

I assume I'm correct that his job is to play when told?
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

What odds for Tomkins to score?
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

The Green Man wrote:This is now a must-win, as is the game vs Sunderland the following week.

Thoughts?
Yep.
Think they'll rip us a newun.
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

Skandi Brudson wrote:In what other profession can you say that you don't want to do your job and still get paid?

I assume I'm correct that his job is to play when told?

He's not being told to play

He will be at West Brom in Jan
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Palace to win 3-1 Tomkins Benteke (2) Is the West Ham way..
Last edited by Pob! on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

What a joke. Not one striker has scored a goal for us this season and we have one sitting on his arse every match because he doesn't like us anymore.

What a joke.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Worried about this one. Heavy defeat with Palace scoring for fun.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

steveyrockstar wrote:
Did you honestly believe that last year? We were 2 awful end-of-season results away from a CL place across a 38-game season. I remember many people at the time, pundits and fans, pointing to how many points we'd actually dropped due to terrible ref decisions going against us (Chelsea and Leicester spring to mind).

There's always these wild fluctuations in opinion about how good our players and manager actually are depending on how well we're doing at that particular point in time, with very little regard for the bigger picture. At the other end of the spectrum, I recall someone at the start of the season saying that we had better players than Chelsea (!).

If we nicked our way to a record points haul last year with poor personnel then our manager is a genius, yet there's another thread with people discussing getting rid of him.
Personally so much about last season has been over hyped because relative to West Ham it was a very good season but the manner that so many of our results were achieved simply suggested we were nothing more than a form team edging wins largely off the back of a player at the top of his game inspiring others around him.

This season started without him and even since his return to the side he has no longer been able to lift a side that is basically being exposed in much the same way it was often done last season because defensively we were rarely good so surely it is no surprise to see us have those problems now.

Many teams have good seasons off the back of one or two form players but the skill is to recognise that and ensure you build on that success not assume you have simply become a good team, Palace recognised that goal scoring was an issue so have tried to address that whereas we decided to ignore the defensive issues we had.

Sadly for me we have fallen into the trap of believing we were better than we were and we will regret that complacency, Palace were in a way lucky to have their form drop away during the season despite enjoying an equally promising start to the season their League position fell away dramatically so it was more obvious that they needed to spend the summer looking to improve their first team and I am pretty sure we will find out to our cost how well they have done that.

This is a game that I expect to lose 2-0 and that is about a fair reflection of where both teams are now, let's not kind ourselves we are as bad as any side in this League this season and the longer we deny that the bigger the mountain we will have to climb.
Lostcoco

Post by Lostcoco »

Randolph
Arbeloa Ginge Reid Ogbonna
Obiang Payet Kouyate
Feghouli Antonio Lanzini

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I dont buy these gloomy forecasts for us in this fixture. I know we are pants right now, but this game is two full weeks away. History suggests Selhurst Park is a happy hunting ground for us and traditionally, we fare well here and as we all know, Pards gets his points in pockets. Just as he go's on a winning streak, he then go's on a long losing streak and right now, he is on a winning streak , but we all know, that winning streak is going to end soon