Crystal Palace 0-1 West Ham Utd (15/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham - Match Thread

Post by Estuary »

Agree with most of what's been said, but wanted to add that was some goal. Really sharp passing between Lanzini, Payet and Obiang to get the ball out wide to Cresswell then the sorcery that drew four Palace defenders in to Payet a great ball to Cresswell who didn't have to break stride, the cross was perfect, and Lanzini screams into the box and guides the ball into the far corner after starting the move.
Absolute stunner of a goal from West Ham and worthy of winning any game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:I must be odd. I like shitholes.
There's something comforting about older football grounds .

Of the places we'll go this season , Palace, Goodison and Burnley are probably the ones that have had the least amount of so called upgrading in recent years .Watford has a ce

Bournemouth, a new ground, gets a tick in the box due to it being the size of a box of matches , but a lot of the new places are indistinguishable from each other, which is a real shame .

Hull, Leicester, Southampton, Swansea, Stoke .......nah, not for me .
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Amazing how much better we play when we win the second ball. Obiang is key to this. But it's essential to our counter-attacking play.

First game this season that we win the battle of the second ball and win the game is no coincidence.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: There's something comforting about older football grounds .

Of the places we'll go this season , Palace, Goodison and Burnley are probably the ones that have had the least amount of so called upgrading in recent years .Watford has a ce

Bournemouth, a new ground, gets a tick in the box due to it being the size of a box of matches , but a lot of the new places are indistinguishable from each other, which is a real shame .

Hull, Leicester, Southampton, Swansea, Stoke .......nah, not for me .
There's a whole heap of crappy new grounds. I'm not sure there's one which I prefer to its original. There seems to be a pattern that if they move site, then they get even worse.

Quite like Sunderland for all that and agree about Bournemouth. Still love games at Anfield, Villa and Goodson. Would love to see the Old Den rebuilt brick by brick like some ancient monument.

Would be an interesting thread - What makes a good ground? It sure ain't UEFA categorisation.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

A really enjoyable day out.
Good team performance, a clean sheet and 3 points.
The away support was great yesterday.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Doc H Ball wrote:I must be odd. I like shitholes.

If I had my way I'd build a ground with 4 cattle sheds, a trough at the back and a hole through which cans of Tennants were served. Oh and wheelchair spaces...

I reckon it would be banged out every week.

That's a great description of St. Helen's Rugby League ground
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

That was really enjoyable to watch. Energy, pressing and a bit of balance for once. Cresswell sending off was a farce, neither a yellow in any way shape or form. Must get a win against Sunderland next week to press on and get the confidence back.

Always nice to put one over the Nigel's. Living where I do it's been noticeable how many Palace fans have come out of the woodwork in recent years having heard virtually nothing for the previous 15 years.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Irons6 wrote:Apart from Selhurst Park being a **** hole and them selling out of beer at half time.... Was a great day and amazing atmosphere. Reid dominant, having Cresswell back was a blessing, Payet and Lanzini impressive. Hopefully that gives us the confidence for the revival. :crest:
Why is it?
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

How things change. Selhurst was one of the most soulless places in years gone by and used to be a chore going over there all the time for palace, charlton & Wimbledon games. Now it's one of the best, has its own personality, they have some fans who actually make an effort . But I must say that our away mob yesterday was at fever pitch hours before, all through the game and after all the way home.
People love to have a pop at the youth of today but hats off to the group of young rats that follow us about these days. They have a good laugh and make a load of noise. Exactly how we were at that age.
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Would be an interesting thread - What makes a good ground? It sure ain't UEFA categorisation.
Top of that list Doc would have to be the new stadium Juventus built.
Juve fans detested the stadium they had following Italia 90 due to the running track,20 years on they demolished it and built a superb Football stadium.
Long term we have to hope Bradys ''greatest achievment'' is demolished and we build a purpose built football ground.

All credit to Palace....not one fan was ejected for supporting their team yesterday.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Harry Hound wrote: http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016 ... ull-match/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank You Sir
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Palace was a delight,,,very smiley stewards/staff.Felt we were being treated like customers, for a change..

And a joy to see Mark Noble embracing and swapping shirts with James Tomkins.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I said to my mate yesterday I'm quite jealous of Palace's ground.

Ok, it's a matchbox and the facilities are poor. But it's a proper ground, something that are on the decline in modern day football (especially the Prem).

The surrounding area is not too dissimilar to Plaistow and the pubs (while not having the greatest beer selection available) do seem to be proper pubs geared up to a football fan clientele.

One thing about the away section st Selhurst Park is though going down for a beer at HT can lead to a severe crush of people. It's so penned in there I'm suprised no-one has been injured in the past.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Palace are a glorified Sunday League team.

Lumps at the back who hoof it up to the quick black lads up front.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

By the way, I liked Ogbonna's little jump and punching the air when Benteke missed the penalty. Also Payet kissing everyone one by one after the goal. Plenty of team spirit yesterday
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Yesterday was good.

What struck me is that apart from Zaza, this was effectively last year's team, and it gelled so very well. Great to see Cresswell bombing up and down the wing, and its a shame that the red card will exclude him for next week.

I though the team looked controlled and strong, and no matter how nervous we may have been late in the game we never gave Palace an inch.

A good day out all round!
askimhammer

Post by askimhammer »

Harry Hound wrote: http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016 ... ull-match/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, enjoyed seeing it again today without having to be terrified everytime Palace had the ball the last 15 minutes or so.

Great team effort, and special praise from me to Cresswell, Obiang, Lanzini, Reid and Kouyate. And well done to Zaza for his endless working and running, just a pity his first touch is not what he and we are hoping for, at least until now.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Atmosphere yesterday was first class, real top support for every player, even a Zaza song
Half time was a bit dodgy so crowded and no beer could've of easily been people got crushed
Also definitely a few in without tickets our row had about five extra people in it
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Why was Arbeloa missing yesterday?
askimhammer

Post by askimhammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Why was Arbeloa missing yesterday?
Minor training ground knock as far as I have understood.

The same was said about Randolphs absence from the bench.