Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Doc

For me the first goal 3 players were at fault for me. First Adrian should have made more sure of pushing the ball away, it wasn't the hardest of shots. Then the slow reactions of both Cresswell and Reid initially which allowed the more alert Bolasie to ghost in round the back and after Reid reacted to slow to the first part, he probably would have been better off just awaiting the cross at that point and not leave his man Lukaku unmarked in the box for an easy tap in when he was covered by Reid. Adrian would have had his near post covered so didn't need Reid charging in too late to make a challenge he was never going to get too at that point. Ogbonna at fault initially not making sure to show Lukaku only on his right foot and standing too far off him making a cross on his favoured left foot easy and then Reid and Kouyate ball watching not taking much note of who else was in the box with Barkley clearly unmarked and unchallenged. Tired minds and bodies in the end cost us.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Aceface wrote: He had an ok game other than the duffed clearance in the build-up to the first goal. Don't think he did too much wrong in the Bolasie incident, given he was the only player in the box that reacted at all and did get a block in - we were just unlucky it ****ed up into the path of you-know-who.
Ta. That's how I saw it too.

I still think Reid's abberations are more down to the fact that he's covering for others.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

CNR - did Bolasie get his cross in or did it bounce off him following Reid's challenge? As I say, I haven't seen a replay but looked unlucky to me.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I didn't say Reid had a blinder - that was another poster who felt Reid was our MVP so far. I quoted his post as I agreed with the second point and I quoted your post as although he has had a decent season, he had a part to blame in both goals.

By virtue of saying Reid was partly to blame of course it means there were others - Cresswell especially for the first goal was very static.
CRS I think we are pretty much in full agreement. My comment about Reid having a blinder, was in reference to the poster I originally responded to, not yourself.

I also agree Creswell was too static for the first goal, although I'd argue Adrien was mostly at fault through parrying the ball in to a dangerous area.

Similarly for the second Ogbonna needs to apply a lot more pressure to Lukaku and Kouyate needs to be more aware and pick up Barkley.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Definitely got his cross in on time. Great play.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

I didn't think we were too bad yesterday.Obiang's chance goes in and it's a different game.Compare that to the dross we were playing a month ago and it's night and day.It was a huge effort on Wednesday and we looked to be paying for it at times.However,the striker situation is very worrying and Antonio is categorically not the answer.As for Zaza,the less said the better.I would be very surprised if he ever scores for us.Also,anyone on here that thinks yesterday is relegation level,they're talking b*llocks.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

ludo22 wrote:I didn't think we were too bad yesterday.Obiang's chance goes in and it's a different game.Compare that to the dross we were playing a month ago and it's night and day.It was a huge effort on Wednesday and we looked to be paying for it at times.However,the striker situation is very worrying and Antonio is categorically not the answer.As for Zaza,the less said the better.I would be very surprised if he ever scores for us.Also,anyone on here that thinks yesterday is relegation level,they're talking b*llocks.
agreed

yesterdays performance was 100x better than some of the ***** weve dished up this season

id have said on possession and chances, had we been 3-1 up at the break, it would have been fairly just...

whoever scored first was going to gain the momentum and go on and win...we hadn't switched on after the break and paid the price...we still had some great chances in the second half...Antonio and noble both forcing decent saves

we wont go down with this team, no need for all the knee jerking, but with 6 losses already, we will struggle to get anywhere near where we did last season

mid table and a cup will do for me!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote: He had an ok game other than the duffed clearance in the build-up to the first goal. Don't think he did too much wrong in the Bolasie incident, given he was the only player in the box that reacted at all and did get a block in - we were just unlucky it ****ed up into the path of you-know-who.
Exactly this. It was Reid's poor clearance that led to the original shot, although Lanzini didn't help. After that it was Cresswell not reacting to the parry (in fact he did react but decided to shephard the ball) and everyone else letting Lukaku be completely unmarked in the six yard box
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

stu1 wrote: CRS I think we are pretty much in full agreement. My comment about Reid having a blinder, was in reference to the poster I originally responded to, not yourself.

I also agree Creswell was too static for the first goal, although I'd argue Adrien was mostly at fault through parrying the ball in to a dangerous area.

Similarly for the second Ogbonna needs to apply a lot more pressure to Lukaku and Kouyate needs to be more aware and pick up Barkley.
Fair play stu, it would appear we are in agreement after all!

frankiemac wrote: mid table and a cup will do for me!
Yes please.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I honestly can't believe how poor the Everton fans were yesterday, they genuinely didn't sign once until they went in front and there were no sections of permanent standers either. I expected better.

The M6 was a disaster on the way home, queued everywhere including at the toll's and for food in the services with many other hammers wanting to get some food and to get away from the torturous motorway!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Like so many games over the years, we had nothing to show for our better spells in the game and before you know it we gifted the opposition goals that could have been avoided.

We created some really good openings, but most of them didn't even end with a shot on target.

They had a striker with presence in and around the box which we just don't have, and it is making the difference in games.

It is truly unbelievable that 10 games in we have not had a goal scored by a forward yet. We are now desperate for someone who could get into double figures let alone the dreaded 20 goals a striker we crave for.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Massive improvement compared to where we were at the start of the season. Badly lacking firepower though. Payet was disappointing.

Not much else to say.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

stu1 wrote:Reid was partially at fault for both of the goals yesterday. For the first goal he needed to react slightly quicker to Adrien's parry.
Look back at the replay, it was Cresswell's man, not Reid's.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Can I also add how bad our corners are. We try to be too cute with them half the time and it backfires so often.

I find it incredible how quickly we turn an attacking set piece into a defensive liability.
Colours never run

The problem was going into no mans land in that instance. He either needed to react quicker if he's going to commit to it, or just hold his position covering the vital space left for an easy tap in from Lukaku. Personally I reckon he should have stayed and was a poor decision in the end. Both in the end at fault, as was Adrian.
Colours never run

jacko wrote:Can I also add how bad our corners are. We try to be too cute with them half the time and it backfires so often.

I find it incredible how quickly we turn an attacking set piece into a defensive liability.
I'm also getting very bored at the persistent attempt to keep trying that floaty edge of the box routine trying to be flash all the time only for it to backfire spectacularly be it Payet floating it to Noble or Fernandes on Saturday. Just get the ****er whipped in there like he's usually so good at doing and stop dicking around immediately putting us on the back foot with a counter attack.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

frankiemac wrote:we wont go down with this team, no need for all the knee jerking, but with 6 losses already, we will struggle to get anywhere near where we did last season
Agreed. Thankfully there are 3 teams worse than us!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Everton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130453
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Colours never run wrote:
I'm also getting very bored at the persistent attempt to keep trying that floaty edge of the box routine trying to be flash all the time only for it to backfire spectacularly be it Payet floating it to Noble or Fernandes on Saturday. Just get the ****er whipped in there like he's usually so good at doing and stop dicking around immediately putting us on the back foot with a counter attack.
God I hate that corner. It's normally payet to noble and it never works.

(Probably will lash the next one in.)
Colours never run

I think it came off once the very first time they tried it against Villa and got saved well. Then after that a bit of a disaster. Time to use it very sparingly now firing away decent opportunities to score and then the counter.