West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (05/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: We had 2 ??

When was that mate....

We were lucky to have one most of the game.
I was being kind .

A year ago we were playing with style, panache, a certain swagger or when needed backs to wall, b*llocks on show giving it all defending .

Now, after a poor start, we have a Manager locked into a must not lose mentality , which is what happens when the Board - Sullivan specifically , undermined him by making statements about needing to be sure he wasn't a one season wonder .We all know that was the public negotiation about the transfer policy .

They then back it up by allowing rumours to circulate about other Managers being linked with Slaven's job , just to make him sweat a bit more, and not to blame the poor start on a crap transfer window .

Slaven is now scared to lose , rather than daring to try and win .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
I was being kind .

A year ago we were playing with style, panache, a certain swagger or when needed backs to wall, b*llocks on show giving it all defending .

Now, after a poor start, we have a Manager locked into a must not lose mentality , which is what happens when the Board - Sullivan specifically , undermined him by making statements about needing to be sure he wasn't a one season wonder .We all know that was the public negotiation about the transfer policy .

They then back it up by allowing rumours to circulate about other Managers being linked with Slaven's job , just to make him sweat a bit more, and not to blame the poor start on a crap transfer window .

Slaven is now scared to lose , rather than daring to try and win .
No point playing 5 at the back if we don't push the wing backs up and press forward.

Noble still plays as if we have 2 upfront then seems surprised that we have no-one up there.

Then we have our new striker...who spent most of his time deeper than the midfield.

Slav needs to be more aggressive.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford, totally agree with all of that .

The reality of yesterdays game is the Stoke keeper barely had anything to do .That's not good enough for us at home .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:Romford, totally agree with all of that .

The reality of yesterdays game is the Stoke keeper barely had anything to do .That's not good enough for us at home .
Not forgetting those 2 young bucks..Whelan and Adams run the centre of the park.

:asleep:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The signs were there that it was going to be laboured in the first minute.

The habitual interpassing from all the back three from the kick off ending, with a hoof, seemed even more leisurely than usual.

If you cant advance with the balI it should be a kind of target that you dont pass to a co-defender unless you draw an opponent out of position.
swerley

Post by swerley »

Romford wrote: Then we have our new striker...who spent most of his time deeper than the midfield.
Any why was that? It is hard to tell from the TV cameras focused on the back half of the pitch where we had so much possession, but why was Ayew coming back for the ball those times...and what were Payet & Lanzini (and the rest of the attack) trying to do the whole game? They couldn't come back and try to pick up the ball from the back 3? There was a huge gap the whole game until Stoke scored.

Even Tony Gale was yelling at Ayew to stay forward....but -somebody- had to come try and get the ball.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

swerley wrote: Any why was that? It is hard to tell from the TV cameras focused on the back half of the pitch where we had so much possession, but why was Ayew coming back for the ball those times...and what were Payet & Lanzini (and the rest of the attack) trying to do the whole game? They couldn't come back and try to pick up the ball from the back 3? There was a huge gap the whole game until Stoke scored.

Even Tony Gale was yelling at Ayew to stay forward....but -somebody- had to come try and get the ball.
Because we didn't push our full backs up, had no energy in the centre of the park (again) and the striker dropped deep to get into the game.

I still don't think we know how to play 5 at the back...

Payet was poor (awful in the first half) and Lanzini didn't get involved enough.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Did I imagine Ayew having a bit of a rant at someone in the midfield, quite early on in the game? I think it was after he ran forward with the ball and nobody went with him.
goof

Post by goof »

Adrian made some saves to keep us in the game yesterday, even sat at the other end of the pitch next to the away fans, you could see it was a massive humdinger. I remember reading on here that you cant buy the football kits with poopies on them, i did see some poopy coloured West Ham scarfs though, does anyone know anthing about them ?
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

One thing I couldn't understand yesterday was only a single minute of added time given by the fourth official before the interval, Stoke had three injuries one was for at least 3-4 minutes and the other 2 were well over a minute, can someone please explain or is it just poor officiating again.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

We did eventually play 3 more mins of extra time , just the board went up with one minute.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The ref actually played about three minutes extra to be fair to him. The time the fourth official indicates is a minimum, the ref still decides how much to add.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Romford wrote:
I still don't think we know how to play 5 at the back...
What I find really strange is how Cresswell was always one of our most potent attacking options playing in a back four, overlapping with Payet on the Left. But, in the last two games playing as a wing back, he hasn't really got forward so much at all.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Think I saw Mark Hughes mentioned that Marriner told the players he signalled 3 minutes and the 4th official misunderstood and only put a minute up

Was the most entertaining part of the match seeing the Stoke players repeatedly pointing to their imaginary watches to try to avoid a Payet free kick. As ineffectual as we are at the moment I'm glad we don't play like that - wasting seconds here, a minute there
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Bit confused why Stoke fans are so happy with their performance. Thought they were cr&p. 90% of their play was up in the air as per usual and they stuck 9 men behind the ball. I know we played like that under Sam but our fans weren't really happy with our style. Stoke are organised I'll give them that but if I was a Stoke fan I would be very happy with a point but wouldn't be happy with that performance. I expect we'll finish above them assuming we get a forward in Jan.
goof

Post by goof »

Regardless of the performance i would be happy with an away point, a manager that put on 2 forwards to try and win the game , when the home team did not. Also a point made with an Arnatauvic suspension and a Shaqiri injury, it would be like an away point without Lanzini and Payet.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Definitely think we need two strikers playing. With Antonio and Kouyate playing further back now, there's no one in our midfield willing to get into the box and provide options. And we can't keep possession since there's no fluency in the attack.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Watching the Leicester game. Regularly getting five and six men in the opposition box in open play. We are not going to score many goals if we don't make defenders defend. Not rocket science
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Watching the Leicester game. Regularly getting five and six men in the opposition box in open play. We are not going to score many goals if we don't make defenders defend. Not rocket science
Agree and watching Chelsea and Liverpool the gulf between them and us now is immense. There were times yesterday when we had no WH player in the box waiting for a cross or ball in.

We are in big trouble it is the tactics as much as the lethargic players
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Rasp wrote:One thing I couldn't understand yesterday was only a single minute of added time given by the fourth official before the interval, Stoke had three injuries one was for at least 3-4 minutes and the other 2 were well over a minute, can someone please explain or is it just poor officiating again.
Fourth official doesn't have much to do so you'd think they get something as simple as this right. ref was correct to play the extra time.