West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (05/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Post by warp »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Watching the Leicester game. Regularly getting five and six men in the opposition box in open play. We are not going to score many goals if we don't make defenders defend. Not rocket science
on the other hand, we've shown that we're not good at defending and if we commit more men forward, then we leak goals. crap ones mostly, but still can't help it.

we should be less ****...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

There are some good strikers in the league this year. Even at average sides.

I wish we had one. A striker that is. We have the average side.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Weekend wasn't a total disaster , due to no hot water in Travelodge Stratford got a full refund , a cold shower and £89 quid back in the bin .
Grandad Hammer

Post by Grandad Hammer »

As far as I'm aware not an iota of trouble, not that that will get 1% of the lineage that we are subjected too when there are a few problems.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Turgid performance. We were so static that Bella Emberg would have looked at home out there. When we gave Payet the ball, everyone seemed to stand still and watch what happened. Fine if your one of us, but when your playing alongside him, move, help him out. Not that it would have helped, it was one of his poorest games for us.

The less said about Adrian's head rush the better. I've got one mate who thinks he's our best keeper since Phil Parkes, one who thinks he's awful. In reality he's in between. A great shot stopper but he fills me with little confidence at most other times.

Ayew is a puzzling one. He clearly has ability but he's no striker. Is he a better attacking mouth an Payet or Lanzini? Not for me. So we've basically paid £20m for a bit part option.

I'm trying to take positives but I can't. The whole day was strange. Had a pre match pint less then 10 minutes from the ground and it was like being in another world. I'm getting more disconnected from the experience every game.

I'm hoping that with the better calibrate opposition we revert to type and player to the level of the opposition and look like the West Ham we saw against Chelsea, but I have a nasty feeling we may just disappear into our shells again.

It's going to be a tough old run in to the festive season
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Interesting extract from the Club's official site
To prove Payet’s importance to the West Ham team, no other Hammer completed a single key pass, while no Stoke player completed more than two.

The 29-year-old also touched the ball 66 times, made 44 passes, unleashed one shot on goal and embarked on three dribbles.

Statistically, according to the performance analysis website WhoScored.com, only central midfielder Obiang had a more effective game than Payet.
no other Hammer completed a single key pass

I'm flabbergasted.
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

This was a tough performance. Clearly didn't deserve a lead. Clearly a terrible mistake by Adrian. A draw is deserved I guess. Ashley Fletcher deserves more of a run in the squad. Tired of seeing him come on so late.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

HammerInMaryland wrote:This was a tough performance. Clearly didn't deserve a lead. Clearly a terrible mistake by Adrian. A draw is deserved I guess. Ashley Fletcher deserves more of a run in the squad. Tired of seeing him come on so late.
I thought Fletcher looked good when he came on, tried to get on the ball, ran at players. We just don't fashion chances for our forwards
acrimony
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by acrimony »

I wish someone would tell me the name of a prem keeper who isn't a great shot stopper
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Sir_Trevor wrote:
What I find really strange is how Cresswell was always one of our most potent attacking options playing in a back four, overlapping with Payet on the Left. But, in the last two games playing as a wing back, he hasn't really got forward so much at all.
Because it doesn't take a genius to realise we are so one-sided. Everton found that out after 30 minutes, and Stoke came prepared to nullify Payet and Cresswell for the full 90.

We had to rely on the right-hand side and it showed up how crap we are when we can't use Payet and Cresswell.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Payet had a poor game but still created more chances than any other PL player at the weekend.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Spurs, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool next 4 PL games

3 points at home to Stoke would have been nice. Can't see us picking up any points for a while now.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Spurs and Man U aren't playing particularly well.

Everyone seems to be acting like we're playing like we were at the start of the season - we're not as good as last year, but we're nowhere near as bad as we were for the opening 4-6 weeks either.

Our recent form is DWWWLD.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Anyone else think how much better we looked with two up front when fletcher came on?

We can't go on playing with an isolated figure up there - it's just so easy to defend against.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think having an extra body up top helped and Fletcher was certainly lively, but he is not the answer yet, i think he needs a loan move but until we add quality we cannot do that.
acrimony
Has liked: 7 likes

Post by acrimony »

beckton wrote:Payet had a poor game but still created more chances than any other PL player at the weekend.
That's really interesting to note as it goes.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:Spurs and Man U aren't playing particularly well.

Everyone seems to be acting like we're playing like we were at the start of the season - we're not as good as last year, but we're nowhere near as bad as we were for the opening 4-6 weeks either.

Our recent form is DWWWLD.
Spurs are a different proposition with Kane back, plus Aiderwerald will be back when we play them
Man U are a very good team if they turn it on

Although our recent form from a points gained perspective is ok, given the opposition in those games it is below par

I think the Stoke game was as bad as any performance this season from an attacking perspective (maybe Southampton was worse)
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Although our recent form from a points gained perspective is ok, given the opposition in those games it is below par.
Depends on what your goals for the season are - at this point I'd count a 10th place finish as pretty good. From that point of view the form is ok. It's not relegation form despite the gloom.

I know it feels like we've used up all our easy games, but we've still not played two of the bottom three.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (Gordon Thower)
http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=10174

West Ham 1-1 Stoke (And Other Ramblings)
http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3839
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Grandad Hammer wrote:As far as I'm aware not an iota of trouble, not that that will get 1% of the lineage that we are subjected too when there are a few problems.
You need to go to specsavers fella...even David Blunkett can see a Plod Helicopter diving down right outside the ground.