Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Re: Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

bishbosh wrote:Alyson Rudd's match report in The Times gave Winston Reid 4 out of 10.
Surely her editor has to call her into the office today and ask where she was on Saturday because she clearly wasn't at White Hart Lane.
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

bishbosh wrote:Alyson Rudd's match report in The Times gave Winston Reid 4 out of 10.
You think that the journalists actually watch the game? They load up on some free food & booze, take a look at the result and the scorers and then write a report accordingly.

We lost, conceded 3 goals and Reid was sent off - ergo Reid is awarded 4 out of 10.

Who did she have as MoTM by the way? If it was Kane then the above must be true.

(I actually thought that their little, young midfielder, Harry Winks was the man of the match. He looked to be a very good little player and I was surprised at how confident he was to constantly demand the ball from his teammates)
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Boleyn Bill wrote:(I actually thought that their little, young midfielder, Harry Winks was the man of the match. He looked to be a very good little player and I was surprised at how confident he was to constantly demand the ball from his teammates)
As much as I hate to say it, MOTM for me too despite wanting to punch him in the face for 90 minutes.
You wouldn't have known that was his debut. As you've said, he looked really assured and I'm sure he even knocked Antonio off the ball at one point too.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

IronworksDave wrote:Watched the game again on Bein ... I think a lot of us had the old claret and blue goggles on ... aside from the two set piece goals their keeper didn't have a save to make ... they had 67 v 33 on the possession stats ... I know that means very little but it does reflect that we didn't 'control' the game ...
Up until the last knockings, we were controlling the game. We never looked like losing it, instead deservedly led it twice without Spurs really hurting us. I made a by thing last season about how the make up of our side does well with only about 30-40% possession, allowing the opposition to have the lion share, the key is what they actually do with the possession and how effective it is, rather than just having possession for possessions sake. It served us very well last season and it was serving us well again at the Lane. What we cannot account for, is for div players diving in or switching off at crucial moments. Oh and bringing on Zaza and ****ing Nordtveit....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, MOTM for me too despite wanting to punch him in the face for 90 minutes.
You wouldn't have known that was his debut. As you've said, he looked really assured and I'm sure he even knocked Antonio off the ball at one point too.

He was their best player but still not as good as Reid was who was my MotM. As for that double booking.. :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

People quoting possession.

The players with the most touches and pass completion - Vertonghen, Dier, Rose. What does that tell you?
Colours never run

sendô wrote:People quoting possession.

The players with the most touches and pass completion - Vertonghen, Dier, Rose. What does that tell you?

That they like to pass it around at the back a lot doing little with it?
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

sendô wrote:People quoting possession.

This happens whenever a side keeps possession, so not exactly an argument against possession numbers. The only exception to the rule is Neymar, who I hear is quite good.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

The boss: '...“We were 2-1 up and from our point of view it was a logical move to put on a fresh body. “[Payet] was excellent today but we thought: ‘OK, it’s the end of the game, we are winning, let’s hold on.’

I get the generality of it, I'll even go along with the generality of it, but what I don't go along with is Payet off and ****ing Nordtveit on.

Somebody other than Payet off FFS especially if he was excellent and Collins on seems like a no brainer to me given how Nordtveit performs, so I make it wrong on both counts and highly likely the reason that we lost.

The ****ing filth must be grinning ear to ear, guffawing at us even, I'm still as pissed off as when it happened, ****ing out and out stupidity Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Iron-worx wrote:The ****ing filth must be grinning ear to ear, guffawing at us even
who are them?

:scarfer:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Boleyn Bill wrote:
Funny how opinions differ. I didn’t feel that we outplayed them yesterday.
There seems to be a difference of opinion depending if you were there or not....not sure how that happens though.

I felt that we were more likely to score a third than them an equaliser...but apparently friends at home thought different.

Thousands of Spurs fans left well before 80 mins....
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

At half time, they hadn't had a single shot on target, just loads of slow, aimless possession

We were perfect in that first half. We were comfortable going into the last five too.

They had a 15 minute spell after HT where Pochettino seems to have told them to kick people, especially Payet.

Aside from that, they were pretty woeful. I was surprised at how poor they were, lacking in ideas and tempo.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Aside from that, they were pretty woeful. I was surprised at how poor they were, lacking in ideas and tempo.
Yep they were. All Spurs fans I know in agreement said that they were poor.
And we played pretty well
Unfortunately we still lost to them
So that pretty much says all you need to know about us
All we can beat is a 10 man Bournemouth, a cluster f*** of a Sunderland team and the team with the worst form in England!

Going to be a long old winter that is for sure!

and yes, i am a negative bugger when it comes to West Ham!
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer32

Post by Hammer32 »

As much as that hurt, beating them 1-0 at home hurt them far more last season . I saw them at Liverpool St and they thought they were going top.

We need to take the positives and build on it.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Romford wrote:There seems to be a difference of opinion depending if you were there or not....not sure how that happens though.

I felt that we were more likely to score a third than them an equaliser...but apparently friends at home thought different.

Thousands of Spurs fans left well before 80 mins....
Wasn't there but agree. Thought we looked really dangerous on the counter and could've/probably should've got another.

A gutting end.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Yep they were. All Spurs fans I know in agreement said that they were poor.
Unfortunately we still lost to them
So that pretty much says all you need to know about us
All we can beat is a 10 man Bournemouth, a cluster **** of a Sunderland team and the team with the worst form in England!

Going to be a long old winter that is for sure
We know what's wrong with us and it amounts to three positions at most.

The first is probably redeemable with Carroll and Sakho, especially if we get Antonio and Ayew up the field near them.

The second is touch and go, unless Adrian in particular finds a bit of consistency

The final one is up to the owners to stump up and sort out the leaks down the right when Antonio is forced to play there.

Our losses to Watford, WBA and Southampton were of far greater concern, imo.
Colours never run

Also weren't there but thought we were the better team controlling the game better as the away side. I felt comfortable watching it until the last 10, which then didn't disappoint me as to why I was so anxious with the way the subs were (not) getting on.
Crouchend_Hammer

Abssolutely agree Bubbles
I was not expecting anything against Spurs and was surprised how decently we played

However, the simple facts are we don't win very often when we play poorly, we don't seem to win when we play well. We got punished for individual mistakes. That is not a good sign

Of course our full strength team should be good enough to get sufficient points in the second half of the season, trouble is once you are down in the bottom two or three, it becomes very difficult to get out. The pressure on the winnable home games becomes immense. Do our players have the stomach for it?
I am not so sure
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I don't perceive any lack of heart,organisation, belief or effort. I did in the games that got us in the mess (WBA/Watford).

We do lack a little bit of quality in some positions.

I find it hard to believe that we won't finish above Burnley (0-2 at WBA tonight), Boro, Hull, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Swansea as a minimum.
Crouchend_Hammer

Well i hope your constant optimism is rewarded!