Manchester Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Estuary »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I love the Fan Cam linked back up the thread with the Manc saying referees are no longer intimidated at Old Trafford, as if they should be and it's just not fair now.
That's laughable, if true we would have had a penalty and probably gone on to win the game. New York boxing rules still apply, you got to knock the local guy out to get a draw.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

"First time in Premier League history we've gone four home league games without a win. Useless bloody bunch, useless manager. I'm done with this ****. They don't deserve our support."

I don't know how they cope.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I love the Fan Cam linked back up the thread with the Manc saying referees are no longer intimidated at Old Trafford, as if they should be and it's just not fair now.
Those elements of previous regimes are something that Manchester United fans would have hotly disputed, and started spraying claims of "sour grapes" and "chips" at anybody who had the audacity to claim that United benefitted from dubious decisions, or the fact that a penalty was not awarded against United at Old Trafford for over a decade.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

They remain the most miserable of football fans in England. Makes this place look like the Teletubbies on laughing gas.

Funny how they win everything (the team sheet given to me yesterday was covered in their titles and cups) yet they remain desperately unhappy.

It can't just be the weather cos City fans aren't like that, not yet at least.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I have to say, even though I shouldn't and they are still miles ahead of us, I absolutely love how they have fallen. We may be behind them but we aren't as far away as they are from the top clubs in the league.

For many of their fans, these last few years since Ferguson have been a total crash down to the real world and they seem to be having difficulty coming to terms with it.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

JerseyHammer wrote:I have to say, even though I shouldn't and they are still miles ahead of us, I absolutely love how they have fallen. We may be behind them but we aren't as far away as they are from the top clubs in the league.

For many of their fans, these last few years since Ferguson have been a total crash down to the real world and they seem to be having difficulty coming to terms with it.
The 2013 title demonstrated how much of an influence Fergie was. The squad was poor, and all endeavours outside of the League was poor. We should have knocked them out of the FA Cup, and the exited the Champions League quickly. They had no genuine challengers, after Manchester City and Chelsea imploded, and a slow and steady season under a World Class manager ensured the title.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Fergie knew exactly what he was doing. The squad was finished and he flogged a dead horse to Moyes and watched him struggle. Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic all gone, no money for Moyes to spend other than bring in one player.
Fergie's exit was planned, and it wasn't because he thought he couldn't do it, he just knew his team couldn't.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

He had to go at some point surely? He may have been taking his foot off the pedal but it's hard to see he'd deliberately leave them in the lurch.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

vietnammer wrote:He had to go at some point surely? He may have been taking his foot off the pedal but it's hard to see he'd deliberately leave them in the lurch.
I wouldn't say it was deliberate, he knew the owners wouldn't invest if money and knew the team would struggle the next year. His ego didn't want to take a hit like that.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

thejackhammer wrote: I wouldn't say it was deliberate, he knew the owners wouldn't invest if money and knew the team would struggle the next year. His ego didn't want to take a hit like that.
Yeah agree - he delayed his retirement a few times and eventually picked his moment knowing it was only likely to go one way
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

The Man United squad that he was going to leave behind in 2002 would have been an excellent base for any decent manager to step up to, with money to spend. The decision to stay was vindicated as he re-won everything in the game again before he departed, but had he gone in 2002 it would have been significantly easier for the new manager to take up the reigns.

In 2013 he was leaving behind a squad with aged spine-players, and with a comparatively weak set of youth players coming through. The reality is though, given the amount of money spent by Van Gaal and by Jose, there is no reason why their achievements have been as poor as they have been. I think the spend has been close to half a billion on players since 2013, and all it has yielded is a 4th place CL qualification, and an FA Cup. That and two world class managers, alongside a Fergie appointment. United have had all the advantages they could wish for in the post-Fergie era and they havent been able to do anything with them.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Het-Field wrote:
In 2013 he was leaving behind a squad with aged spine-players, and with a comparatively weak set of youth players coming through. The reality is though, given the amount of money spent by Van Gaal and by Jose, there is no reason why their achievements have been as poor as they have been. I think the spend has been close to half a billion on players since 2013, and all it has yielded is a 4th place CL qualification, and an FA Cup. That and two world class managers, alongside a Fergie appointment. United have had all the advantages they could wish for in the post-Fergie era and they havent been able to do anything with them.
That is simply staggering.......and makes their supporters whining all the more hilarious.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

My heart bleeds for them. Poor little soldiers :D They got spoilt with Fergie and they can't cope without him.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Robbie wrote: That is simply staggering.......and makes their supporters whining all the more hilarious.
i couldn't believe it when totting up the figures, even down-rounding the figures payed for players who were signed on an undisclosed basis, or excluding the true expenditure for having the privilege of Falcao sitting on the bench for a season.
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

The ground is rammed full of tourists, crammed full of cameras, more half n half scarfs than your average championship ground attendance! Money spent on everything man u by day trippers from every nation you could think of [these are the fans our board want]
the worst thing I saw a fan getting the attention of a steward for was filming the game.

as for the game, they play a lot of long balls, moronio trying to be fergie and getting sent to the stands for it, almost as funny as their disallowed goal [offside]
Not looking forward to the drive, but still cant wait for cup night
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Well deserved point and a gutsy performance. Full credit to everyone involved. I thought Bilic made the right substitutions this time, and full credit to him for that. I was quite impressed with the effort young Fletcher put in and he was pretty close to scoring there. This has to be the way to go.

Two good fighting performances on the spin. Glad to see the heads did not go down following last weeks defeat.

Very tough period of games coming fast and furious upon us now. Fitness will be the key to these games.

Same again Wednesday please, with a conversion of one of those late chances to seal it. :crest:
Captain Slaphead
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Captain Slaphead »

irongav wrote:more half n half scarfs
There were some of these abominations amongst the AST section on Sunday being worn by a couple of Far Eastern gentlemen.

I appreciate that people want to recover their costs if possible if unable to attend, but speaking personally I'd be uncomfortable selling to a 'tourist'
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

You are such a snob Slaphead :scarfer:
Captain Slaphead
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Captain Slaphead »

Kialos wrote:You are such a snob Slaphead
You know me too well 8-)

Now I'll be the first to admit that I might have been mis-reading the whole situation ---- but perhaps somebody who was sitting (I use the term advisedly!) near these two could confirm their reaction when the respective goals were scored ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

irongav wrote:more half n half scarfs
Captain Slaphead wrote: There were some of these abominations amongst the AST section on Sunday being worn by a couple of Far Eastern gentlemen.
They're like that in Shoeburyness .