EFLCQF: Manchester Utd 4-1 West Ham Ut d (30/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (EFL Cup)

Post by Romford »

Marky wrote:Got back to `London now.

Didn't look to me like we sold out lots of spare seats towards the back
i thought it was a poor turn-out...sadly the vast majority on here prefer to moan and winge rather than put the effort in.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

i thought it was a poor turn-out...sadly the vast majority on here prefer to moan and winge rather than put the effort in.[/quote]

Just like to add that due to a school night a number of young ones and mums weren't there which would add to numbers. I did take my daughter out of school but then we want to go to the games.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

HighWycombeHammer wrote:
Just like to add that due to a school night a number of young ones and mums weren't there which would add to numbers. I did take my daughter out of school but then we want to go to the games.
I'm not saying it was an easy place to get to on a weeknight...but it never is. I also realise that we'd just played them Sunday etc

I bet if we had got through and Hull would have given us 10K we'd have sold them though.

Why ??
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Jinxed wrote:
And as far as Antonio is concerned I don't share your enthusiasm

I think he's a f***ing pain in the arse and he wouldn't get anywhere near my team but that's just my opinion

Dear me .....

Our top goal scorer realty isn't the problem.

Your condemnation of him strikes me as a personal dislike and not something football based.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Romford wrote:
I'm not saying it was an easy place to get to on a weeknight...but it never is. I also realise that we'd just played them Sunday etc

I bet if we had got through and Hull would have given us 10K we'd have sold them though.

Why ??
Because it would be Hull in a Semi Final, and therefore our best chance of reaching a final since 2006?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
Because it would be Hull in a Semi Final, and therefore our best chance of reaching a final since 2006?
Maybe if a few more of those people bought tickets for last night and given the backing that they could we'd have had a better chance of getting through to that game.

Then if we got through that we'd have everyone wanting tickets for Wembley....hence my point.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 539 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Romford wrote:[

Maybe if a few more of those people bought tickets for last night and given the backing that they could we'd have had a better chance of getting through to that game.

Then if we got through that we'd have everyone wanting tickets for Wembley....hence my point.
We could've had 15 thousand there last night Rom and it wouldn't have made much difference imo. As soon as i saw Martial on their teamsheet i knew the game was up. He's up there with Lukaku in terms of loving to score against us. Seems like Ibra does now as well. 3 in 2!

I just hope Cresswell isn't too badly injured. We are such a better team with him in it. Maybe it wouldve been a closer game if he'd played the full 90.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

The Sherriff wrote: Your condemnation of him strikes me as a personal dislike and not something football based.
Why such ridiculous cynicism Sherriff? It was pointed out earlier that his positional sense is pretty poor amongst a few other deficiencies in his game, and that this causes a problem not only defensively but building attacks. His first touch is a bit poor. His positional sense IS quite bad. Give him more than 5 seconds to think, and he often runs into blind allies, and/or loses possession.

The guy has great qualities, but for a team trying to get the best out of good passers and movers (i.e. Payet and Lazini) Antonio is, well, a bit incongruous shall we say. He doesn't quite fit into our style of play and that causes gaps when covering defensively, and his play is jarring when attacking.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

The second half collapse was classic West Ham.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

I thought it was a bloody embarrassing performance last night!

Only people who came out with some credit for me were Adrian, Obiang & Fernandes thought everyone else was a disgrace!

I really can't believe how quickly the apathy and complacency set in!

I unfortunately really do think Slav is for the chop too (no I don't want that) as I think he will be hung out to dry by the Gang of Three
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Why ??[/quote]

I'm not sure we would sell 10k anymore on a weeknight and on telly. The only way we would is if others thought they would be given a final ticket if we got through. We would possibly sell out if it was a weekend.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
We could've had 15 thousand there last night Rom and it wouldn't have made much difference imo. As soon as i saw Martial on their teamsheet i knew the game was up. He's up there with Lukaku in terms of loving to score against us. Seems like Ibra does now as well. 3 in 2!

I just hope Cresswell isn't too badly injured. We are such a better team with him in it. Maybe it wouldve been a closer game if he'd played the full 90.
Maybe...but we ll never know.

I do know that there is a great deal of "don't give a toss" going on about last night.....and we would mug off any other clubs "fans" who would act like that if we'd beaten them.

I do give a monkeys....that was a great chance last night and we were never up for it.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Just on the train back, the morning after the night before, saw our line up and thought "that looks ok" then saw the Man Utd line up and thought "****". Most of the people around us couldn't believe we had equalised. Very poor performance and half the time we didn't look interested.

Still only arsenal at home and Liverpool away next.

Thought the fans were top class last night too. Was loud just after we had scored
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

HIighWycombeHammer wrote:
I'm not sure we would sell 10k anymore on a weeknight and on telly. The only way we would is if others thought they would be given a final ticket if we got through. We would possibly sell out if it was a weekend.
Well we have double the amount of season ticket holders now...why do they not seem bothered about seeing such games ?

I know we haven't been treated well ...nothing new there though....but the current level of away support isn't as big as most expected.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Rooney has looked poor on every occasion I have watched him play for both England and MU for the past 2 years. Yesterday we made him look quite good.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Regardless of how many went our away support is brilliant. I was proud to be part of it.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by danm79 »

Were we as bad as this thread makes out...I actually thought after the first 15 mins we looked ok up until half time.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Rooney has looked poor on every occasion I have watched him play for both England and MU for the past 2 years. Yesterday we made him look quite good.
How did he escape a yellow after fouling Kouyate first half and then kicked the ball at him in a rage of anger.

He then picks up a yellow in the second half for dissent ( which would have meant a second yellow and sending off ) and spends the rest of the match shouting and moaning every time he came near the ref.

How does he get away with it.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Romford wrote: I do give a monkeys....that was a great chance last night and we were never up for it.
Perhaps our fans were well aware that the club wasn't up for it.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Sky put a mike next to our fans last night so you could hear everything which was great.

Did anyone else catch the bit when Ashley Fletcher scored and we started singing........

"He's one of our own, he's one of our owwwwn.
Ashley Fletcher, he's one of our own"

........and the commentator thought he'd reference it as it was a humourous moment.

As soon as he stops talking, another song bursts out (forgive me, can't remember the tune to it) but basically along the lines of "Fletcher left because you're ****" and because the commentator made a point of referencing the fans right before, it's comes across even more clearly because he's made you more attuned to what's being sung next. Cue a really uncomfortable silence. You could almost feel the commentators toes curling and all my family were roaring with laughter!! :lol:

Brilliant!