Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

alkali
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by alkali »

It sounds like a twisted version of Don't fear the Reaper
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Please listen to the initial intro to The Hollies' Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)

The first13-14 seconds. It sounds like another guitar solo from the 60s or 70s, I think. It may have actually been an instrumental song (think it probably was).

Can someone help jog my memory as it's doing my nut in and I really want to listen to it....
Sorry, no.

Not that it helps but the bit after the intro really reminded me of 'Get It On' by T. Rex.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Why are there so many incompetent idiots in positions of power in large organisations?

Who is promoting these people?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

sendô wrote:Why are there so many incompetent idiots in positions of power in large organisations?

The people who run the country.

Money gives, to retain power.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

sendô wrote:Why are there so many incompetent idiots in positions of power in large organisations?

The Peter Principle

People get promoted because of their performance in their current job. While they do well they'll keep getting promoted, when they can't cope they won't. They end up in a job they can't do and stay there.
Czech Hammer

Post by Czech Hammer »

Does anybody else remember a kids tv show, or a segment of a kids tv show, in the late 80's early 90's about a couple of gnomes called Fish n' Chips who lived at the bottom of someones garden and used to come alive when no one was looking?

Please say yes.

Im starting to worry.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Please listen to the initial intro to The Hollies' Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)

The first13-14 seconds. It sounds like another guitar solo from the 60s or 70s, I think. It may have actually been an instrumental song (think it probably was).

Can someone help jog my memory as it's doing my nut in and I really want to listen to it....
It sounds a bit like George Harrison's "Here Comes The Sun" bit from the end of the chorus in the song ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

There's a touch of Nutbush City Limits to the latter half of it. The start does sound like something else also.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Sounds like nearly everything by Creedance 8-)

I thought of Run Through the Jungle, but there's another more similar CCR song that I can't remember.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

That 'jangly' intro could be lots of things from 1965-1969, couldn't it?
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Sounds a bit like the intro to Don't Fear the Reaper. (But only a bit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUO_5EALZoM
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Turn Turn Turn by the Byrds mashed into Tina Turner?
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Czech Hammer wrote:Does anybody else remember a kids tv show, or a segment of a kids tv show, in the late 80's early 90's about a couple of gnomes called Fish n' Chips who lived at the bottom of someones garden and used to come alive when no one was looking?

Please say yes.

Im starting to worry.
It was called Chish & Fips and they lived outside a Fish & Chip shop.
Mr Wheeler (had a wheelbarrow) and Mr Fisher (who sat on a toadstool with a fishing rod)
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Czech Hammer

Post by Czech Hammer »

sendô wrote:Image
:scarfer:

Thank You!!

No wonder I couldnt find it. Chish n Fips!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

From 15 seconds in it sounds like Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol then when the vocals start it's massively Creedance!

The first 14 seconds is very much like a mash up of Don't fear the reaper.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
My mum managed to get out of it with just one letter from her employer which really surprised me. I'll probably never get picked because of my previous but it'd be fascinating I reckon.
They are meant to be stricter on letting people get out of it.

You can still be selected for jury service, as everyone on the electoral role above 18 and below 70 is on the list. However when you receive the summons you have to reveal any convictions that mean you can't serve, from memory the reasons include
- Sentenced to life or to be detained at her majesty's pleasure
- Sentenced to more than x years imprisonment within the last 10(?) years

These days there should be an automatic check on this, I put a system in over 10 years ago to do it, but it always used to check after you responded rather than preventing the summons going out.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

I know a fella who did time and still went on jury services.
I tried to get out of it because i had worked in retail security for years,and my past may of prejudiced me against any cases i was involved in.They weren't having any of it.
Glad as it happens.I thoroughly enjoyed my fortnight at Wood Green Crown Court
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

"I'm getting dressed up, it's nine below zero,
I'm out in the heat, I'm out with my hero,o
I'm putting on the show"

What bloody TV show was that the theme tune to? Late 70's or early 80's I think.........
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: The first 14 seconds is very much like a mash up of Don't fear the reaper.
That's what I said, but tbf it's just a run-down in the bass with arpeggios - more of a riff than a solo. In that respect, like GCRO said, it could make you think of George Harrison's
HERE COMES THE SUN or George's riff in the middle of Clapton's BADGE or the Reaper intro - probably loads more.

The only full-blown instrumental I can think of is CLASSICAL GAS by Mason Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk