West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Post by kitthehammer »

Ok lets write off the liverpool match and maybe save players for burnley where at least we'll have carroll, kouyate, cresswell & antonio back. We need to start thinking tactically about what matches we are capable of winning. So save payet, lanzini etc and stick the likes of feghouli, nordveit, arbeloa, calleri etc on v liverpool.
There's no point in risking injury to decent players in a match we are almost definitely going to get thumped at.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Re: A bit of positivity,,,against burnley

Post by Dwight1970 »

We are a poor side the amount of games we have lost convincingly with the odd victory being pretty unconvincing too tell you that, Burnley should be looking at us as an opportunity for three points.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

After the Liverpool game we have 4 winnable games on the bounce

We really need 10 points min from them!

Burnley may be the game That's just a point but I expect wins from hull, Swansea and lecister
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

Is there a worse team in the league than us? We have 4 winnable games coming up but at this rate I can't see us beating anybody
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

RayleighHammer23 wrote:Is there a worse team in the league than us? We have 4 winnable games coming up but at this rate I can't see us beating anybody
Swansea and Hull for two.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

It's a fine line and luck is against us.
At Spurs we could have gone 2-1 down but instead the wind was taken out of their sails when ball went out of play and players then injured ate time up. We then got the 2nd. Should have held on....deserved to but Randolphs push to Kane killed us.
AT OT we dug in and got a great point with some really good defensive work.
Last Wedenesday I thought we passed the ball very well and and at 2-1 down we were in the contest. Kouyate getting caught wrong side of his man for their 3rd kicked us but still we had chances to score and a better player than Zaza would have. The 4th rocked us.
The Arsenal game showed we have ability to go forward and stretch good teams but not enough to get behind or through them. We were playing well....then the poor opener for them once again kicked us. Another conceded of our own making. We continued to play however although the midfield was often slow to drive Arsenal back.
Sanchez killed us with the 2nd. After that it was a rout.

The upshot is that confidence is no doubt in shreds now. The return of Carroll is a boost but for how long?
The season started poorly and continues to engulf us.
Goals win matches and until we are capable of scoring 2 or 3, our defensive frailties and capacity to shoot ourselves will give teams hope that if they score and shut up shop, bar a Payet screamer, they should get results against us.
Burnley won't be easy. Roll on (and presumebly past, another) January transfer window (fiasco). :fsake:
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Hull
Swansea
Sunderland
Palace
Burnley
Middlesborough

All these teams are worse than us and we will finish above all of them - we are team that has had no striker from the get go...hopefully Carroll can stay fit until at least the end of January where we can get some better back up.

Have some faith
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

kitthehammer wrote:Ok lets write off the liverpool match and maybe save players for burnley where at least we'll have carroll, kouyate, cresswell & antonio back. We need to start thinking tactically about what matches we are capable of winning. So save payet, lanzini etc and stick the likes of feghouli, nordveit, arbeloa, calleri etc on v liverpool.
There's no point in risking injury to decent players in a match we are almost definitely going to get thumped at.
Cowardly.

Suppose we go down by 1 point. You'd probably look back at this game and wish we'd given it more of a go. They just lost to Bournemouth. They are softcore and are missing players. What better way to kick start things than to beat the Scousers at Anfield again?

Go for the jugular. It's a shot to nothing.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

fjthegrey wrote: Cowardly.

Suppose we go down by 1 point. You'd probably look back at this game and wish we'd given it more of a go. They just lost to Bournemouth. They are softcore and are missing players. What better way to kick start things than to beat the Scousers at Anfield again?

Go for the jugular. It's a shot to nothing.
This. 100% just go for it!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

kitthehammer wrote:Ok lets write off the liverpool match and maybe save players for ........
I really don't disagree with what you've said Kit but this sort of thing was being written on these boards two three years ago. And it's not something we were saying going into the same fixture last season and look what happened. We really should have reached the point by now where we don't give up on any game. It says much about our 'progress' these last few months that we may well be back to the days of 2013 and 2014.

Burnley will be my first league match of the season. Despite my feelings about the stadium, or more accurately our board, I'm looking forward to it - but that's mostly down to seeing mates, a few beers beforehand etc.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

We have probably played joint worst in the league.. if we didnt get a last min goal against Sunderland then we wouldnt have won a game since the first week of november and we wouldnt be 1 point outside of the relegation zone ... plus we have conceded the second highest amounts of goals in the league so far... how anyone can say there are worse teams i dont understand.

Every game is a must win we need to pick up points.. we need to make an effort .. we shouldnt be writing off any game regardless of the club.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

I sympathise with Kit's point of view in one sense. We've had horrible luck with injuries this season. Maybe starting Carroll, Cresswell and Antonio on the bench is a smart idea. When you're desperate for points, you often rush players back, and risk them getting injured like Sakho did.
I'd give the players returning from injury one more week to get properly fit, so they're firing on all cylinders for those winnable games.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

And it's that attitude that costs us!

To assume we've only got to turn up and we'll beat Burnley is arrogance of the highest order.... they are above us in the table for a reason.... we're playing ****!

To turn it around you have to aplly yourself in every game, not just pick and choose.

What happens if in the first 10 seconds against Burnley, they break free, one of ours hacks theirs down, straight red and they smash the free-kick in, 1-0 down, down to 10 and 90 to go. Plan right out the window.

Also, it's a slap in the face of the travelling fans if we just go up to Liverpool and roll over.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Can't see us getting anything out of this.

The one good thing about the game is that I'm not able to make it and will be going out instead.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I read somewhere that Kouyate did his hamstring in training on Friday. :(

I think we can get something at Liverpool though. Hopefully Cresswell, Carroll, Antonio and Ayew will start.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Burnley are a hard working team. They are top 4 with Liverpool, Tottenham and Man City in terms of distance covered per game. Against our unfit bunch not training properly this has the potential to be a proper banana skin.

Add to that they play Bournemouth at home on Saturday, we play Liverpool away late on Sunday.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Rest players against Liverpool? In a Premier League game?

Never...
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

kitthehammer wrote:Ok lets write off the liverpool match and maybe save players for burnley where at least we'll have carroll, kouyate, cresswell & antonio back. We need to start thinking tactically about what matches we are capable of winning. So save payet, lanzini etc and stick the likes of feghouli, nordveit, arbeloa, calleri etc on v liverpool.
You are Sam Alladyce and I claim my £5.
Brendan
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Brendan »

Personally I think that when we play badly we are just as bad as any team in the mix. We do know that if we can get a team out that has the majority of players that played against Palace we can be a comfortable mid table team. The players that have been signed have not been as good as the players they are supposed to try and compete with to get in the team. Get on the front foot early against Burnley, pin them back, get the crowd going. Burnley will know we will see this a game we must win and will be prepared for an early onslaught, don't disappoint them, make the game a cup tie. Get a goal in the first 15 mins, get the crowd bouncing.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

talking of positivity, let's really get behind the team against Burnley as well rather than moaning and groaning if we don't score in the first 10 or 15 mins. Whilst I know most of us are against the owners, their crap signings, and the move, do any of us seriously want to be back in the Championship next year?