West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Sorry, not sure i agree with the above.

Caveat, i didn't go to those away games so only basing it on what i saw on TV, but i would say only Spurs away was a really good performance and, even then we were fortunate to be 2-1 up

Teams are expected to 'battle' away from home. Going against the odds, rolling the sleeves up in another teams back yards. Away performances are often more intense than those at home, always have been

At home, it should be as much about composure, skill, patience, craft and flair, and taking the game to the opposition, as it is about intensity. We don't have any of those things!

Having said that, we have always been a team that raises itself for teh home games against the bigger clubs. We could be listless one week at home to Stoke, and then well up for it the week after when Chelsea or Spurs come to town. Will be interesting to see what happens in the 2nd half of the season when all the bigger teams come to play

Hopefully the manager and coaching staff can rouse a performance out of the players in some of those games
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I'd call Arsenal at home a big one and it was the worst atmosphere for a London derby I've witnessed in 50 years. And that was before anyone scored.

This stadium was supposed to be 'intimate'. It's about as intimate as Anne Widdecombe after 12 pints.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:I'd call Arsenal at home a big one and it was the worst atmosphere for a London derby I've witnessed in 50 years. And that was before anyone scored.

This stadium was supposed to be 'intimate'. It's about as intimate as Anne Widdecombe after 12 pints.
Yes i agree. Arsenal was poor. And tbh i dont expect the big games in 2017 to be any different.
I hate the stadium
However, i don't think we can use it as an excuse for our **** tactics, poor football, and defensive orientated approach to home games
Patito

Post by Patito »

Respect the 3 points.

Personally, I thought the first 45 was very decent against a team who had no interest in winning.

Onwards and upwards to another 3 points against Hull, I hope. COYI :crest:
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Four points in 4 days and a home win.....well done lads.....keep it going ! :crest:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I thought we played some very tidy football during the first half , but due to Burnley's tactics of putting everyone behind the ball our end product didn't amount to much , - that said , had Obiang's sights been set correctly and had Noble's technique been just slightly better we could have been 2-0 up before Reid was brought down for our Captain to score from a rebounded penalty .
Renowned for our sporting behaviour we then allowed Burnley to have a go with the ball during the second half , but an excellent save from Randolph and a glaring miss from Vokes kept the score at 1-0 to the home side - however our opponents were devoid of any such Christmas Spirit as they continued to hack down our French Talisman if he tried carrying the ball further than his own penalty area , surprisingly the Ref kept his cards in his pocket .
Andy Carroll did his best to score from corners despite a couple of our players deciding to join in with the Burnley defenders in getting in his way [ oh , no that's part of the plan , I forgot ] - Slaven Bilic said of Andy ' He is a miracle , what he gives to the team is immense ' - A miracle would be Andy playing half a dozen consecutive games , Slav [ only joking , Andy , you are a miracle really ] .
Speaking of unfit players , one that cost us £20m , Andre Ayew snuck past the Burnley defence towards the end of the match and nearly scored - never mind , we won and gained a precious 3 points -
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Agree with other posters, it was a dreadful game. And yes it was like a hark back to the Allardyce era.

The game seemed to consist of long punts up to Carroll for him to knock down. And when any attack momentum was built up Carroll was nowhere to be seen.

The ref was poor, they were allowed to kick lumps out of Payet. Noble missed a pen but scored the with follow-up. Nothing really more to add.
Last edited by steps on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

I thought we looked pedestrian, devoid of ideas, with no movement off the ball, no cohesion etc

Clearly nerves played a part, as that was must win last night, but it was awful to watch
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

I thought the ref was shocking last night. Burnley were there to stifle the game and kept going down feigning injury, the ref was buying it every time. Payet was having lumps kicked out f him with little protection, the ref should have got his cards out earlier. Also Carroll always seems fair game for some reason, maybe it is his size but decision seldom seem to go his way.

We played alright in the first half, not enough penetration but the Burnley did come for a point. We probably deserved to be a couple up at half time. Second half we looked nervy and defensive errors nearly cost us again Thankfully Randolf was on good form.

Not one of the most exciting games I have ever been to but the 3 points were vital at the moment especially with all the teams around us losing. We just need to do the same again on Saturday and I am sure our confidence and composure will grow.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I watched it online but its so painfully obvious why we don't score enough. This will be the same with Carroll, he might make something for himself but even he was isolated as Payet and lanzini are too far away and do not play in that manner that anticipates flick ons, they don't look to push on for that opportunity. Yesterday Carroll ended up on the wing in one situation but no one made an attempt to get in the box. Antonio broke down the right a few times and either Carroll hadn't caught up or he was the only player in the box.

Our main chances came from outside the box because Noble, Payet and Lanzini all seem to drift for that bit of space outside the area. The Sunderland and Stoke games were exactly the same, no one in the box and not enough goal scoring chances created. All of our league wins this season have been 1-0 which says it all for me.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

played well 1st half and should have been a couple up - said to my mate at half time - i dont care if we put 10 behind the ball for the 2nd half - we need to see this out as a win

and thats what we got

still hate the place though
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Three Points! agree it was back to the days of Fat Sam, but we need those points! oh how we need a striker, not someone out on the wing and he has done this in the past, Now we move on to the weekend and get another three points, however we can, just hope we bring on two good players in January, not cheap players or loans.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

hatori wrote:To be fair, the atmosphere at Upton Park (bar final season) was always shocking against the **** teams.

As it is at most grounds, only the bigger games have good atmospheres these days

Agree

I thought the atmosphere at Liverpool on Sunday was very poor, even when they were leading there was hardly any noise from their fans.

Amongst our following it was very good , but I guess Burnley fans would probably say the same about last night
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:I'd call Arsenal at home a big one and it was the worst atmosphere for a London derby I've witnessed in 50 years. And that was before anyone scored.

Doc it depends who had the 12 pints you or her :D
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The Gibbins wrote:I watched it online but its so painfully obvious why we don't score enough. This will be the same with Carroll, he might make something for himself but even he was isolated as Payet and lanzini are too far away and do not play in that manner that anticipates flick ons, they don't look to push on for that opportunity. Yesterday Carroll ended up on the wing in one situation but no one made an attempt to get in the box. Antonio broke down the right a few times and either Carroll hadn't caught up or he was the only player in the box.

Our main chances came from outside the box because Noble, Payet and Lanzini all seem to drift for that bit of space outside the area. The Sunderland and Stoke games were exactly the same, no one in the box and not enough goal scoring chances created. All of our league wins this season have been 1-0 which says it all for me.
Absolutely spot on :thup:

Why does it happen though? Could it be that the defensive half of the team struggle to progress beyond the half way line unless Payet and Lanzini drop deep to receive it?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

[/quote]
BPRIGGSC wrote:
4-2-3-1 is dead, not many teams playing it this season!

Half the teams in the games last night played that formation,

Sunderland, Chelsea, Spuds played the 3-4-3 like ours.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Extremely dull game, but a badly needed 3 points. Missed the goal as I had too many beers pre match and spent the first half dying for a jimmy.

Complete 'mare getting home on the Overground. Train held at Hackney Wick for ages and then 100s of people trying to squeeze on. I had to get the woman on the platform to give me a shove as I couldn't squeeze myself in. 'Orrible.
ludo22
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

I thought we looked very nervous and apprehensive last night contributing to what was a pretty dreadful game.However,we got the points and that was hugely important.The "head injuries"issue has now obviously become a scam to just kill any potential opposition attack and is getting to a point where it has to be looked at.I love Mark Noble,but,at the moment,I think he is slowing down an already painfully slow West Ham team but I appreciate that he may improve and probably deserves a bit of slack for past achievements.I am never hugely impressed by Lanzini who,in my opinion,flatters to deceive.A decent player,I agree,but not the superstar as described by a few on here.I think that we could do better having Kouyate in his position when the injuries subside.Anyway,onwards and upwards to the festival of cultured football that the Hull game promises. :crest:
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

EugeneSpeed wrote:I had to get the woman on the platform to give me a shove as I couldn't squeeze myself in. 'Orrible.
You could have turned away from her :D
EugeneSpeed
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

ageing hammer wrote:You could have turned away from her
I think that was the most badly phrased post I have ever made on here.

:lol: