West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chadwell Hammer

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

It wasn't a classic but I'm definitely feeling a lot happier today on the back of three points and a clean sheet (plus a nice little acca win too).

It was SO important to win this game and here's hoping that sets us up for Saturday now with something to build on.

Thought Payet looked very good, the link-ups with him, Lanzini and Cresswell are coming back. I expected that to take time after Cresswell missed so much of the season.
Antonio was off the pace, Noble was poor (if he didn't get the lucky rebound from the penalty and we drew that game 0-0 he would be getting slated today).

Obiang solid again but my personal MOTM was Reid. So vital to us at the back, plus he won the penalty.
Last edited by Chadwell Hammer on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topbre_22

Post by Topbre_22 »

What stood out for me was the lack of pace we had in behind. This allowed them to defend high up the pitch.
Wingbacks give you no threat in behind and that midfield four have 0 interest in running in behind as they all want the ball to feet. If we're going to play 3-6-1 someone has to sometimes be willing to play as a striker to run off carroll. I'd personally play antonio uptop with carroll as his threat is totally nullified being stuck in a wide full back position.

Take the 3 points and CLEAN SHEET and move on :)
Elmo'sIronBorn

Post by Elmo'sIronBorn »

Few shines of some nice football in the first half, painful in the second half,
Still so little movement going forward into the box,
Great save from Dolph to keep us the 3 point.
Let's hope this win picks em up and moves em on.
BMU was a little louder tonight!! Well 251 - 254
3 Points!!
10 points from these 4 games will make for a happy Hammer crimbo
COYI!! :scarfer:
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Nice to wake up with 3 lovely points on the board today. Don't think I'll bother going to the Hull game though after that performance (we will probably win 6-0 now!)
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Mixed feelings. It was great to get the win. That was the main thing. It didn't have to be flashy or entertaining, just effective, and it was. Having a proper target man in Carroll is of huge importance, as he troubles defenders, and gets in the way of chances, which our existing crop of strikers (apart from Sakho) seemed incapable of doing.

The performance itself was good for the first forty-five, before a strange collapse in mentality in the second half, where we seemed to lack the ambition and the drive to try and close out the game. I also was a little disappointed in that the team is probably the strongest we can have on the pitch, and it didn't look all that strong or consistent.

Onwards and Upwards!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

respect to the burnley fans for joining in the minutes applause for young Jack

very touching tribute - lump in my throat
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Noticed in the last 2 games that Payet is definately playing a lot more centrally. Still going out wide but a lot more time spent in the middle where he was getting more involved.
For me I would play him and Ayew behind Carroll and give Lanzini a spell on the bench.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:respect to the burnley fans for joining in the minutes applause for young Jack
You're right of course, but it should always be pointed out how insane it is that anyone should be complimented for behaving at the minimum standard of basic humanity at a football match.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

By our recent standards, I thought we looked much better last night in the first half. We reverted to type for the second half though. It was vital we got the win though, and we did. Not the best game, but right now I don't care as long as we pick up some good results
Chadwell Hammer

hammerddh wrote:Noticed in the last 2 games that Payet is definately playing a lot more centrally. Still going out wide but a lot more time spent in the middle where he was getting more involved.
For me I would play him and Ayew behind Carroll and give Lanzini a spell on the bench.
I think Lanzini and Payet are starting to get that understanding back and dropping Lanzini now would be a mistake. I'm so disappointed with Ayew, he literally does nothing. He doesn't seem interested, he needs to make something happen for him to kickstart his West Ham career but instead of doing that it looks like he is just waiting for that something to happen for him.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Gep

Post by Gep »

Lanzini was quality last night, his movement and all that was top notch. In fact thought he played better than Payet. Hmmmm who'd you take off I wonder?? No wonder Manu looked glum as he walked off.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Can anyone explain the incident where the lino flagged for an apparent offside when the ball didn't go into the Burnley half, then quite a few seconds later the ref gave them a free kick in our half?
Chadwell Hammer

ihateroeder wrote:Can anyone explain the incident where the lino flagged for an apparent offside when the ball didn't go into the Burnley half, then quite a few seconds later the ref gave them a free kick in our half?
My best guess was that he flagged for a foul by Antonio, rather than offside - since none of our players contested the position of the free kick
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Gep wrote:Lanzini was quality last night, his movement and all that was top notch. In fact thought he played better than Payet. Hmmmm who'd you take off I wonder?? No wonder Manu looked glum as he walked off.
Not convinced, does nowhere near enough for me, its like playing with ten men( nine with Payet at times), still think that you cannot play both of them, as it doesn't offer enough balance in the team.
Last edited by ihateroeder on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Burnley are short on quality but not on effort, they keep to their game plan well and stifle the opposition. They're about as good as they can be given their lack of quality which is a compliment of sorts because we're not as good as we can be.

It's clear to see how they've only scored one away goal all season so no massive surprise at the clean sheet although it had to be kept.

To beat them by a rebound from a penalty is a result and three points but it's not mightily convincing is it.

Was our football much better than Fat Sams ?

No apparent injuries, clean sheet and three points but not much more than that to get enthused about.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

ihateroeder wrote:Can anyone explain the incident where the lino flagged for an apparent offside when the ball didn't go into the Burnley half, then quite a few seconds later the ref gave them a free kick in our half?
Tony Gale seemed to think that the offside free kick is now awarded where the player (Lanzini) touches it, not where he was offside.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I don't know how Marney didn't get booked for that 'challenge' on Payet, utter disgrace. The rolling around on the floor from the Burnley players was incredibly frustrating to watch. Anybody that says Dyche is a forward thinking manager should think again, I hope they go down.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

As someone else stated a free kick for offside can now be taken where the offending touches the ball even if it is in your own half rather than the position he was caught offside though it does seem bizarre to be offside if the ball does not enter the opposition half.

I can't recall who the West Ham player was but he must have been going some to be beyond the last Burnley defender and get that far into our half to challenge for the ball?
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Dyche spent most of his time matching back from the touchline and moaning at the 4th official, he has a massive victim complex.

Game of two halves, first half we were at it and should of strolled out 2 up. Second half we were nowhere near the levels of the first half, created little and were luck not to concede.