West Ham Utd 1-0 Hull City (17/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

lenny050511

Re: West Ham Utd vs Hull City: match thread

Post by lenny050511 »

We must be the slowest and least mobile team in the Premier League! We hardly get any player making a run beyond our Centre Forward. Hull carved us open so easily today.

Most of my heroes from last season have no form!

Confidence seems low.

I love Payet but please let Creswell take at least one free kick!!!!!

Yet....we bloody won!

Hopefully we can gain some confidence and start to move on.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Anyone know for sure if Masuaku is injured?
Gep

Post by Gep »

I hate to admit it but this season to me is crying out Championship unless we sort ourselves out big time. Bilic has only just got his head above water this week.
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

At the start of the season, I thought we'd be lucky not to lose the majority of home games,
as opponents will all massively raise their games at the Bowl-eyn.

Next season will be easier at home, 2 clean sheets, even if lucky, is good.

I feel strangely positive.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I said in the Burnley thread I'd take another scrappy 1-0 today, both games being about points rather than style.

Having said that, it's significant that Jermaine Jenas picked out what so many of us have been saying namely there's no movement off the ball when someone is running forward with it. He highlighted two instances, one with Payet one with Ayew, where they were running through the middle with no support at all. Ayew's example showed two players (Carroll and one other) stood looking at him instead of running into the huge space behind their defence.

If Byram's fit for Swansea, put him at right back and go 442 with Ayew under strict instructions to stay within ten yards of Carroll at all times.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

lenny050511 wrote:We must be the slowest and least mobile team in the Premier League! We hardly get any player making a run beyond our Centre Forward. Hull carved us open so easily today.
I was going to make the same point. There is a lack of pace in the side, Payet and Lanzini drop shoulders and have a little trick to get a yard, but don't really burst past players.

Carroll is excellent if used correctly, and that's not up on his own with a lack of runners around him. Sakho when he first signed (before injuries and mental wobbles) was ideal as he ran and ran and picked things up. Defoe would have a field day.

Anyway, kouyate at the back removes the drive from midfield with and element of pace. No wingers with pace, Antonio is quick but couldn't beat the fullback for pace today.

We need a pacey Striker most of all. A RB goes without saying and I'd say someone like Chamberlian for some proper pace.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Hull must be gutted not to have got something out of that game today......real groundhog day stuff with our penalty awarded in the same box for a similar offence as per the Burnley one on Wednesday. Anyway, ugly as it was, that's 6 points in a week and hopefully panic over at least in the points accumulated column. Football however is still dire. It was a bit park football stuff at some points in the second half, notably with Carroll roaming about all over the place (he seemed to like right back!) and the play book out the window. Still, a point or few out of the Swansea & Foxes away games then bring on the Mancs......I thought at times the atmosphere and singing was much better and together.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Play utter ***** and win ..... I'll take that .... we could and maybe even should be at least five points worse off after last week ... about time we had some luck ....
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Our midfield was non existent today. They played through the middle of us like we didn't exist at times.

I think we really need to sort that out because at no point this season has our defence really been the problem (in my opinion).

Antonio was a bit of a hero again today. He does at least always try.

Our fullbacks did not want to get forward today but maybe that was because they had no confidence in the midfield to soak up any pressure.

Carroll played far too deep but even on a bad day we're far better with him in the team than any of those other idiots. Ayew looked good I thought.

We just seriously need to sort our midfield out. The dynamic just does not work st the moment and I think it's ****ing everything up.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Robbie wrote:We are a very limited side to be honest.
If that were true than I would be delighted with the position we are in but it is not. Would you swap our squad with West Brom, Soton or Bournemouth's? They are all in the top ten.

I would argue that our squad is the 7th or 8th best in the league. The problem has been that Bilic has not managed to get the best out of them. Not sure that could ever be levelled at Eddie Howe or indeed Tony Pulis.

Big players require managing by by big characters who can maintain a performance level. Lets see how Slav does in the second half of the season. . .
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

3 points is all that really matters. Been plenty of games where we played decently and got nothing of it and winning in the OS seems fine to me. I think another win is in order against Swansea.

Cresswell was poor today. But everyone is entitled to an off day. Hoping Carroll is fit again, he played a lot of minutes this week.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

We were an absolute embarrassment and a pile of **** today but three points makes it sweeter thanks super slav. :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

derek zoolander wrote:Our midfield was non existent today. They played through the middle of us like we didn't exist at times.

I think we really need to sort that out because at no point this season has our defence really been the problem (in my opinion).

Although I agree our midfield was non-exsistant today, you completely lost me on the point of the defence not being a problem this season. It's been the issue along with having no suitable Striker up top.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

what a wonderful three points. absolutely only thing that mattered. we always f*** up these must wins and despite our best try the gods of **** finishing were with us,

the olympic stadium continues to suck the life and soul out of all who wear the claret and blue. honestly don't think you could've designed a stadium which more perfectly neutralises and inverts every advantage we should have from a home ground.

nice couple of away games next. some football wouldn't go amiss.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

I think what I witnessed today was the greatest snatch since Sharon Stone appeared in Basic Instinct.

No pace going forward. No overlapping runs. No one running in behind. No anticipation and very few forward passes with all too often passes pushed immediately backwards or to the sides. No invention and we still look less fit than the team we play against each week. If we do break on the opposition, then a look up reveals one player up front if we're lucky.

Hull on the other hand regularly had 3 or 4 players breaking their necks to get up for a cross or pass. Overlapping down the wings with no one picking up their runner when it was obvious it was about to happen and they won a lot of second balls too all over the place. Closed us down and crowded us out where as we regularly sat off and gave them time and space.

If they'd had a finisher then we'd have been 2 or 3 down by the time the penalty was awarded. As it was, we'd have been somewhat fortunate to have come out of today's game with a draw...let alone all 3 points.

Desperately need a Sakho-esque player to play up front to chase and harry the opposition's backline and get in behind...and in doing so, get us all further up the pitch in the process.

3 points is the be-all and end-all and I'm happy about that....but these performances at home are sluggish and disjointed to say the least. We play better and look far more dangerous away from home at the moment.
TheCoyote

Post by TheCoyote »

We play a game that needs pace at the back and then go ahead and put the 5 slowest players on our whole list in the back 5 positions. It makes no sense

On January 1 we need a RB in that we trust enough to start every week. If we gotta pay 10 mill+ then so be it. No Iorfa, no Jenkinson. I want someone proven and ready to go.

Kieran Tripper
Matteo Darmian
Glen Johnson
Pablo Zabaleta

Pick one
since86

Post by since86 »

The sign of a good sign is to play badly and win.

Love that cliche. We took our chances, they didn't. Have absolutely no guilt about taking a win.

Unbelievably, we are win off mid table. A run of any decent results in this league is to be enjoyed and respected as anyone can beat anyone.
Looking forward to Swansea and Leicester, we could build on this little run with those games...

COYI!
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

It looked like s***.
It felt like s***.
Even smelt like s***.
But by God those six points taste like nectar.

The short term me, you know the one that wants instant gratification, is utterly delighted.
The long term me is horrified that this may be the way things are going to be for the foreseeable.
The irrational me says that I'd love to be playing somewhere near attacking football whereby the results will come if we play the same again, week after week. Just like bottom of the table Hull.
The rational me says thank feck I'm West ham!

I've not managed to get to a single game, home or away, this season so sadly it''s all been on screen for me one way or another but today I saw (in the slightest kind of way) that there is hope for this squad.

Noble slots the pen, throws off the arm of Ayew? from his shoulder and purposely makes his way to Nordtveit (who is warming up near the corner flag) and throws his arms around him as a gesture (I presume) of solidarity after the shenanigans of the booing on Wednesday. Now that's quality to me.

:crest:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

TheCoyote wrote:
On January 1 we need a RB in that we trust enough to start every week. If we gotta pay 10 mill+ then so be it. No Iorfa, no Jenkinson. I want someone proven and ready to go.

Kieran Tripper
Matteo Darmian
Glen Johnson
Pablo Zabaleta

Pick one
If only it was that easy.
nome of those are very feasible in january
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:We were an absolute embarrassment and a pile of **** today but three points makes it sweeter thanks super slav. :lol:
Sums it up a treat.