West Ham Utd 1-0 Hull City (17/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Hull City: match thread

Post by steps »

Still can't work out how we won that game, Hull were far the better side. And we looked well off the pace at times and in large devoid of ideas.

Starting to think it's got to be the stadium hasn't it, so far our league win tally at 'home' is:

Bournemouth 1-0
Sunderland 1-0
Burnley 1-0
Hull 1-0

And the only time we have actually looked like a good side was against Chelsea in the league cup.

Doesn't make for great reading does it.
Last edited by steps on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Was it hull we beat under Sam and the crowd were booing at the final whistle?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

7 points in a week and still people are moaning.
danski78
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danski78 »

I just watched Leicester reduced to 10 men score from open play.. they had 6 players in the box !!!!!
With 11 men against Hull and we could get close to that kind of commitment. Carroll sometimes but often found deep.. Antonio occasionally and that's it. People are asking that the club sign a new forward but really we are not making any chances for a forward to put away so I don't think that the answer. Lanzini wasn't having his best game on Saturday and was taken off at half time aside from antonio he is the only player who will occasionally move and find space in midfield so when he goes off we have very little. From the stands it often looks like payet and ayew are taking too many touches and do not release the ball quick enough but in truth the reason they do is because there are no options.. that has to be a problem with training. I randomly went to Watford vs Everton last week and saw behrami boss the midfield.. he's not the answer for forward runs but for bite and passion in midfield.. I wish we still had him.

I was told hull are the worst team in the premier. They had around 8 decent chances and hit the post 3 times. We had an ayew/Antonio double effort and we were gifted a penalty. We have been very fortunate with these recent fixtures and there is no better time to play Swansea. I fear the teams we are playing are masking our inabilities and I fear Man U in the new year.

I don't think we need to sign much in the transfer window.. I think we have talent just they need to be drilled and given direction.

Didn't enjoy the game at all really.. nothing to get excited about other than kouyate putting in a shift but the fact he was having to overlap on the right wing in the later stages was admirable but also raised questions as to why we have one of our best player so far out of position.. cheik is many things but a winger with crossing abilities he ain't.

I could go on but I won't
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Georgee Paris wrote:7 points in a week and still people are moaning.
For some the points tally is not the be all and end all
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

No it seems we should be brushing aside every team by 5 goals at least.
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

Robbie wrote:And another thing! Mrs came today as a ticket was spare, her first time. She said during the first half "I don't know what you moan about, the stadium is lovely".

And of course she dived quickly into Westfield first before meeting me in the ground, certainly not the old way of a day at football......!!
yeah mate...you probably need to get shot ... :thup:[/quote]

Very good!

I won't be asking West Ham's "head of recruitment" to find me a replacement that's for sure!!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: For some the points tally is not the be all and end all
Maybe, but this half season has been a grind because Slaven is having to make do and mend at centre forward and right back in particular.

He isn't blameless, but we've all seen these problems (and injuries) and if we get to New Years Day on something like 23 points in tenth, then that won't be too bad, and we will be set up for having a shot at 7th again (maybe Europe), especially if the weaknesses are addressed.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Georgee Paris wrote:7 points in a week and still people are moaning.
If that was aimed at me, I wasnt moaning. I was alluding to the thought that the team hasn't settled at the new place yet.

It may come, eventually. But as it stands we haven't looked convincing at home.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

steps wrote:Still can't work out how we won that game, Hull were far the better side. And we looked well off the pace at times and in large devout of ideas.

Starting to think it's got to be the stadium hasn't it, so far our league win tally at 'home' is:

Bournemouth 1-0
Sunderland 1-0
Burnley 1-0
Hull 1-0

And the only time we have actually looked like a good side was against Chelsea in the league cup.

Doesn't make for great reading does it.
just posted this in a different thread.. we have played 8 league games at home now.. 14 points

last season 10 points from 8 home games

cant blame the stadium

its away from it we havent performed
Crouchend_Hammer

Georgee Paris wrote:No it seems we should be brushing aside every team by 5 goals at least.
No one is saying that. However, for some, performances like yesterday and Wednesday where we show limuted attacking invention, creativity, or even any intent, and get completely outplayedat home by the team bottom of th table mean the three points is secondary
Crouchend_Hammer

Georgee Paris wrote:No it seems we should be brushing aside every team by 5 goals at least.
No one is saying that. However, for some, performances like yesterday and Wednesday where we show limuted attacking invention, creativity, or even any intent, and get completely outplayedat home by the team bottom of th table mean the three points is secondary

Excluding the chelsea reserves cup game we have had about 45 minutes of decent footall all season at home (Watford first half), against fairly average teams, regardless of points accrued
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

That's exactly what I put in my letter to Santa!!!

I only watched the highlights, but that wasn't pretty, we looked like we were running in treacle. We were slow and gave away too much space, however, I did think that we played with slightly more confidence than we have recently. Hopefully that will kick on, especially as we have 7 points from the last 9.
Crouchend_Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote:
Maybe, but this half season has been a grind because Slaven is having to make do and mend at centre forward and right back in particular.

He isn't blameless, but we've all seen these problems (and injuries) and if we get to New Years Day on something like 23 points in tenth, then that won't be too bad, and we will be set up for having a shot at 7th again (maybe Europe), especially if the weaknesses are addressed.
Bubbles. Admore your enthusiasm but two extremely lucky wins against the worst two away teams in the division does not make us a top 10 team let alone top seven. I appreciate the table is tight but he team yesterday was pretty much Slaven's ideal first eleven except for a RB/ RWB and we still have no clue.
I will be astonished if we make top 10. Absolutely no chance at all of getting anywhere near top 7 IMHO

we will end up the loweSt scorers at home in the league as well
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We looked disorganised and completely off the pace -

Personally I would look at this playing 3 at the back and two defensive midfielders tactic , persevering with this strategy means we're missing two players further up the pitch - hence the lack of movement in our build up play [ possibly ? ] .
OFT
Has liked: 2991 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Only seen the 'game' courtesy of MOTD this morning so I'm in no position to comment on the overall performance although if the editing is anything to go by it didn't look too handy. On the penalty, well it wasn't really was it? but, we're still at the thin end of the dodgy decisions table so do I care? No, firk 'em .
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

At the moment we are a rubbish club, with a rubbish team, playing rubbish football in a rubbish stadium.
We can change three of those factors – the fourth, sadly, is here for the long term.

We are also the least fit team in this league. Hull were superior to us in most departments. They always seemed to have more men on the ball and outnumbered us on breakaways, especially beating those tracking back.

We were incredibly lucky to win this game. But having done so, find ourselves approaching mid table safety with more points than games played. Perhaps the pressure will now come off. It needs to, immediately. Far too much emphasis on must win was given to these last two games. I don’t think it has helped anyone concerned when the manager himself tells the media we must win. Far better to have played it down, refrain from making such statements, and keep everyone guessing. Of course you have to win – but doesn’t that apply to every game?

We will of course, play much better than this and lose. Two wins, two clean sheets, we should be building in confidence. Does anyone really feel we are?

We need a right back and we need an injection of pace. We need to attack in numbers and get more players into the box. We need to move the ball forward a lot quicker. We need to let Cresswell take a free kick now and again, especially when the angle suits the left foot.

Can’t fault the effort though. The players obviously want to win for the manager. At least that’s something that has turned around.

Onwards and upwards.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

4 of the summer signings have disappeared off the face of the planet. Zaza, calleri, tore and arbeloa. It's a shambles.
It's all about points over this period of the season and for what it's worth there is no problem in the team having to grind out a result with a bit of backbone and albeit some luck.
Look at the luck we were dealt last year....next to none
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

Hull were unlucky yesterday. When a team plays well but still loses they are doomed for relegation.
We on the other hand somehow managed to pull victory our of the jaws of defeat.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: this half season has been a grind because Slaven is having to make do and mend at centre forward and right back in particular.

It's to Slaven's credit that he has the team achieving results in adversity , but as you say he isn't blameless .I sat in the West Upper for the first time yesterday ( sorry Doc :wink: ) and had a better perspective on our shape , and frankly it was an utter mess .At times it was difficult to see who was playing where .

It wasn't total football, it was , at times, total confusion .Notwithstanding that another couple of wins before the end of the year would see us nicely in mid table , and Slaven will get the chance, subject to support in the transfer market, to correct the gaping holes in the squad .

Yesterday though, for long periods, we were bloody awful .