Swansea 1-4 West Ham Utd (26/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gep

Re: Swansea vs West Ham: match thread

Post by Gep »

Away form hasn't really been an issue for me this season. It's been good, not great but good. Home form for me has been dire all season apart from that first 40min v Watford. And to be fair I know a lot still jizz off at the EFL game v Chelsea but once they started fielding their 3subs we were even then under the cosh. So I've still got concerns over our home form, which to be fair is what's letting us down this season.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Whilst waking up to such a terrific result I refuse to jump on the 'we've turned the corner' bandwagon. Yesterday was far from a convincing performance and we were nowhere near our best. As others have said, you can only beat what's in front of you. But all four of those goals could've (and probably would've) been prevented by better opposition. I am struggling to think of a time where we strung more than 4 passes together or went forward at pace with any conviction. A brilliant result, don't get me wrong, but there is still a lot of work to be done....

Onwards and Upwards :crest:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Funny how the thread is only at 27 pages after an emphatic win. Would probably be double that if the score line was reversed
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Fernandes looked good when he came on. Some good goals, great to see Carroll play well.

Would like to see that Ayew Payet Antonio trip behind Carroll moving forward.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Yea Why Not wrote:Funny how the thread is only at 27 pages after an emphatic win. Would probably be double that if the score line was reversed
It absolutely would especially if Swansea played as poorly as we did!
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Good summary Pinky also thought nordveit played well . Bloody cold there yesterday , I bet that Drummer gets stick every game
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Anyone else a bit surprised at how quick Nordtveit is? Montero's a bit of a flier.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Yea Why Not wrote:Funny how the thread is only at 27 pages after an emphatic win. Would probably be double that if the score line was reversed
I'm not sure if you intend that as a criticism or not. To me it is perfectly reasonable that there is more to dissect and comment about after a bad defeat than after a good win.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

bubbles1966 wrote:Anyone else a bit surprised at how quick Nordtveit is? Montero's a bit of a flier.
I posted in another thread how perhaps opinions might shift a little on last summers business.The players that we signed permanently are for me at least all generally positive. Feghouli and Nord needed time to adapt. The others will only improve.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I fully agree ironilunga :thup:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

ironilunga wrote:I posted in another thread how perhaps opinions might shift a little on last summers business.The players that we signed permanently are for me at least all generally positive. Feghouli and Nord needed time to adapt. The others will only improve.
I really hope he comes good but my concern with Nord (I can't spell his name either :wink: ) is whether he can adapt to the pace of our game. In which case I'm not sure that yesterday proved anything one way or another as Swansea do as good an impression of a ponderous, pedestrian typical (outside of thievery top clubs) Bundesliga team as anyone we have on these shores.

I've always felt that Feghouli will come good if given time. I hope he gets it.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

well said Pinky. Excellent turnout from the fans - everyone had three million reasons not to go-= including me - however we turned up and were rewarded handsomely. Surely the club could have done something on the ticket price or travel for this game - and Im not talking about a discount at the club shop. There's plenty there who cant afford a trip like that at christmas and yet still do it-we deserve better I think!

Discovering we had a puncture when we arrived and no chance of getting it fixed could have killed the spirit however thank the patron saint of auto's for space saver tyres, I say.

Swansea were poor however, still needed beating and Reid in particular had an excellent game- when he's like this he has an extra second on everything and never looks hurried.

Randolph did what he does best- some great stops at the right time.

Still not right in the middle- we kept giving the ball away- whether its Payet trying too hard in the wrong area, or nobles shanking a pass or kouyate running into a blind alley- I'd like to see obiang and kouyate there personally- at least obiang has better positional sense and is more of an anchor to let chek career around.

There were one or two glimpses of the kind of possession play we got used to last season- made me realise how far we are off the pace in comparison - then I checked and realised we are only a win short of the points tally we had last season, and think if we'd played the game out at spurs how different our moods and the team's confidence would have been .

So, alot to be positive about - next three games with four points and into the next round would be huge for our season- if the club gets in early with the acquisitions we need, could be a cracking second half of the season.

COME ON YOU IRRRRRRROONS :scarfer:
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

I've been very critical of nortveidt so it's only fair to give credit where it's due. Hopefully his WHU career will kick on now.

It was a mystery how one of the bundesligas top players could look so slow, ponderous and clumsy but maybe his mistakes have made him realise that it's hard work over here. Either way, fair play to him !
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Swansea were woeful, our performance has improved, as has the team spirit on the pitch but we weren't as good as the score line suggested. Nordtveit improving with every game and Fernandes looks like a great game changer when required off the bench.

I'm disappointed with Cresswell and Noble for the Swansea goal, Noble half heartedly shadowed Cresswell and then literally was brushed away, no wonder Reid went mental!
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Who's the ****er with the drum? Lol, lots of positives still a long way to go Nordy done good, cracking away day with the best supporters in the land
Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

I second that Believer - though Nordy was a dead loss until yesterday.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Good result and a blinding away day.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Nordy and Feghouli need time to bed in, and they both look to be adapting well to the prem. The potential is there for them to have good careers with us, it's just a shame the same cannot be said of Zaza and Callieri. I personally do not think either of them will ever be able to cut it with us.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I didn't go to the game yesterday but I am really pleased the travelling support were rewarded with a good win for their efforts amongst all the tripe we are going through at the moment.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cheerio Bobby Boy.... :clap: